Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My budgies claws have gotten quite long. I really want to get a perch that would keep them at a good length, while not damaging their feet. I've heard that calcium perches work well, and also the safety pumice perches that only have the rough parts on the side so that the bird doesn't stand on the sand. My budgies ARE NOT tame, so they feel extremely uncomfortable being held, and they will try to squirm out of the towel or whatever is holding it. I have clipped them myself, but I feel very uncomfortable doing so, and my budgies absolutely hate the vets. What perches do you guys recommend for dulling the claws down a little bit?
Thanks for the help :)

·
Administrator
56,528 Posts
If your budgies' toenails are currently too long, it would be best to trim them to an acceptable length.
It might be easier if you have a friend help you by holding your budgie while you trim the nails.

Once you have the nails trimmed to an acceptable length,
having a variety of perches will help keep your budgie's feet and legs exercised as well as helping to keep the nails from getting overgrown.

Perches I use include the following:

Sand Perch

Pedi Perch

Calcium/Mineral Perch

Grapevine Perch

Multi-branch Perch

Comfy Clam Perch

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I might be trying a calcium perch since I've read it's the best option. The only thing is that I just don't feel comfortable holding them, and the move a bit too much XD

·
Administrator
56,528 Posts
Thanks, I might be trying a calcium perch since I've read it's the best option. The only thing is that I just don't feel comfortable holding them, and the move a bit too much XD
I understand. Just realize if the nails are so long they are interfering with the budgie's grasp they need to be trimmed so the foot doesn't become injured or deformed. ;)

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
I have an assortment of perches similar to Deborah's, and my bird's nails all stay worn down, I have never had to clip....:)

Reactions: FaeryBee
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.