Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reluctant to trim our budgie"s nails for the longest time and worried about it. We went to the vet and the wonderful tech showed us how to do it, but still I was fearful. His nails seemed quite long, with sharp ends, so I decided it was time to get it done. Even though I was super careful, or trying to be, I ended up cutting (with bird nail scissors) too high and he bled from the nail. I had corn starch and I applied it while applying pressure to the finger that had the affected nail. I felt horrible. It was not a huge amount of blood but it was more than I expected it could be. The bleeding stopped after a while but some blood ended up on his wings and belly. I have to say B did really well all things considered, I could tell he was uncomfortable but was not nippy when I had to restrain him in my hand. I was relieved that the bleeding stopped and he seemed back to normal, and chirpy, while back in his cage.
Could I have made things worse? Yes, I did. Later in the afternoon I decided to try to clean his feathers. I took him back to the tent and tried gently to just wipe his wing with tepid water and cotton ball. He squirmed a bit and the moisture of the cotton ball touched his foot and opened the wound, and he started bleeding from it again. I could not believe it. I got it to stop (corn starch) again and decided that I will never, ever be cutting his nails again. This happened yesterday.
Today he managed to clean his foot (it was a bit bloody) and it looks like he cleaned his feathers too. His foot looks just a little more dark than the other, could maybe be from pressure applied while trying to stop the bleed, twice.
I want to ask if there is anything I should apply to his foot? Is there a possibility of infection? How long does it take to heal completely? Should I take him to the vet to check it?
Now that I see it after he cleaned it off, it seems like I just got the tip of the nail cut, yet I managed to hurt him.
Could I have some help on how to care for his nails without cutting them? He has wooden perches in cage but when we take him to the tent to fly around his sharp ended nails sometimes ( not always) get caught in the mesh part of tent wall.
And finally, can bleeding from a nail be life threatening?

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
If you decide to continue clipping his nails it would be best to get some styptic powder like in this picture it also has a pain reliever in it. Usually they are ok in a day or two, is he favoring the foot? When the vet takes blood from a budgie it is sometimes done with a nail clip and I have seen some of my birds favor the foot for a day but then are fine. If you see the foot swelling then call the vet. Any bleeding can be life threatening if not stopped, it sounds like you got it stopped right away, make sure you check him overnight to make sure the bleeding does not start again. When I need to clip my birds nails I only clip those whose feet and nails are pale and I can clearly see the quick, in the ones that are darker I just clip off the very tip or I have the vet techs do it.

Product Font Orange Screenshot Line

·
Super Moderator
19,684 Posts
Ah, sorry to hear about this; you did everything right considering the situation and stopping the bleeding is the most important part. As Cody said, getting some stypic powder is a good idea to stop the bleeding faster in the future, I'm sure you little one will heal up soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts