Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Two females, Cobbler and Mango. One male, Pickles.
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I noticed one of my girls nails have gotten pretty long and need a good trim. I have only ever gotten their nails cut at the vets during a Heath check. We currently are not due for a appointment for a while and I don’t want to wait to trim her Nails. So would there be any advice out there on how to do it at home? Thank you!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s a image of her nails, it’s not the best but it sort of shows how long they are.
Vertebrate Product Pet supply Parrot Beak

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
If you are not used to doing this at home it may take 2 people is there someone in your home that can help you?

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
You must be very careful when trimming the nails that you do not hit the "quick" which is the blood vessel that is inside the nail.

If you can have another person hold her, give her a wooden dowel to hold onto with her feet.
It may be easiest to hold her in a soft cloth so she can be tilted back while she holds onto the dowel.
Very gently lift one toe from the dowel and clip the end only of the nail with regular nail clippers.

As her nails are white, it will be easy to see exactly where the blood vessel is in each nail.

Make sure you have styptic powder, corn starch or flour close at hand "just in case".

Please be careful and let us know how it goes for you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I watched a very appealing video last week on this topic. It requires the budgies to be hand tame, but I plan on doing it myself. Basically get your little fluffers to step up and distract them with a treat (mine go crazy for oat spray and millet spray). Whilst they're stepped up on your finger and happily munching at the treats, it gives you a great position to gently trim their toenails.

My plan was to acclimate my two to the nail clippers for a few weeks so they're not scared of it, then do the whole bait and switch with the treats to trim. The woman did it on the video and it seemed very easy. But it's more of a "do what you can now before they fly off" tactic. So you'll get one nail, they'll move or fly away, then when they resettle you can get another. I'm opting for this method as it seems much easier than having to grab the birdies.

My question for Faery and Cody: do I have to worry about the angle I cut the nails, or is it okay to cut straight across? I know to avoid the quick, but I remember seeing ages ago that the angle of the cut matters. But I was just going to cut straight across as it's easiest.

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
When I am lucky enough to be able to do it at all I just clip and quickly, so I think it is more straight across. When the vet has done it I have not noticed that it was done at any certain angle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, I plan on doing the cloth method as my girls are not 100% tame enough for the second method suggested. I do have a few people in my house hold to help. Ill give a update when I have a chance :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our Mr Rudy isn’t a fan of this but I use a perch for him to stand on right after a bath; in our case once he’s interrupted the human shower time lol his nails are softer and cut cleaner/easier.

I also let him get acquainted with the small nail clippers so it’s not frightening. He gets greek yogurt afterward as a treat. Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did it, I could have done a better job, but I was able to trim down the nails that where the longest without any problems. I felt so bad cause I could feel her heart beat though the cloth the whole time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts