Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure but I think I asked the mutations of these birds, but I can't find the thread now. So please can you tell me the mutations again?

Bird Pet supply Bird supply Parrot Beak

Bird Hand Vertebrate Beak Cockatoo

Bird Beak Mesh Bird supply Stock dove

Bird Mesh Fence Beak Chicken

The last 2 pics are of the same bird.

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
The blue one is a sky blue spangle opaline (Dilute?), or a sky blue greywing...Not sure which. :giggle:
And the other one is a clearwing cobalt. (possibly opaline) These are hard ones! :eek: But they are super cute!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that's a clearwing I'm going to jump over the moon - I want one for so long now!!!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Left to right in the first picture:
Yellow face spangle cobalt (not opaline)
Opaline recessive pied
Spangle or a spangle dilute sky blue (not opaline)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which one do you see as the clearwing? (1; 2; 3 in the nest box from left to right). I thought the dilute one could be the clearwing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes Dries,

I was hoping for your sake the far-right chick is a clearwing....but once again, I think, Nev is correct.....

...there are some "narrow width" spangle markings on the wings, which if opaline would have also had body colour replacing some of the "white" in these wing feathers!....

...and given there are none of the latter, I also consider this chick to be non-opaline...

I wish the genetic experts can tell (or else remind) us...what the difference is between "dilute" and "greywing"...especially when the body colour ISN'T AS MUCH DILUTED as one would expect for both such genes (& the % suffusion , to be considered, is NOT EASY!)?!....

...some of these chicks (with such bright, almost normal body colour), although spangle appear to have very faint "spangle markings"?!....

Will there be a definitive genetic explaination to describe such "faint spangle wing markings"?....I heard of "1st & 2nd generations spangles" somewhere...does such exists?

Similar chicks I got that I consider to be dilute, is based on fact that the "width of the grey markings" on these wing feathers are narrower than when it's a greywing.....

...will this be correct Nev?

Please help us here...thx,
JacodK

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The baby is now a few days older and the markings are a little brighter - it's for sure no clearwing - if it was I would be in the dark of who the parents were, With the spangle I know. But why the spangle markings are so narrow is a mystery - to me anyway. The body color is quite "dilute" - very soft blue - much lighter than my other sky blues. Hope Nev can explain your questions - would be interesting.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I assume you are talking about the green bird? Your bird has more wing markings than my bird. So what makes thsi one a clear wing and mine not? I would have thought that the green bird is a FB greywing. Please explain - I'm confused.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I assume you are talking about the green bird? Your bird has more wing markings than my bird. So what makes thsi one a clear wing and mine not? I would have thought that the green bird is a FB greywing. Please explain - I'm confused.
Because cheek patches and body color of my bird are quite bright. :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
There is a lot of variation between greywings, dilutes and clearwings which can make identifying them difficult.
The darker dilutes can be as dark as the lighter greywings. Often full body greywings are mistaken for clearwings & vice versa
Often the only way of being sure is to study the whole family and the breeding results

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In one of my books (the author is a John - I can't remember his surname) there's an example of a clearwing and it is just what the name says - the wings are clear without any markings what so ever. That's what I'm looking for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.