Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully no one gets annoyed for my writing about my cat who is bring dead animals home but I am really confused why she is suddenly doing this and where these animals are coming from..

let me explain. mitsie is my 6 year old cat.. she has never killed anything other than wild mice.

There are several birds that hang around my backyard that my cats don't touch and they even come up and eat the cat food! while the cats are right there!

Last monday in the morning I found a mouse, tuesday however was something else.. which I guessed to be left overs of a baby rabbit..

wednesday- another mouse.

Thursday- yet another rabbit.

I think there ended up being 3 rabbits last week and then this week nothing...

until tonight. its currently 12.21 am and I have not yet gone to bed, I could hear my cats bell going outside and wondering what she was up to went and turned the back light on..

she comes running up to me to dump a baby rabbit at my feet.

:(

I own pet rabbits myself, and she has no interest in them.. she's really not the type to go chasing after big animals but something is making me think these bunnies are already dead when she finds them.. maybe the mother has died or something is happened to them?

I don't know but the bunny didn't have any blood on it.

Also I let my bunny jump around the back yard on his harness, and he is very inquisitive, he goes up to sniff the cat and she will run away scared! but yet she is bringing baby rabbits home.. it doesn't make sense.

I am so sick of her bringing rabbits home :(

I don't live on a farm or anything, but there is a empty block of land right behind our property which I guess is where they would be coming from..
but this is getting ridiculous.

I have locked her in my laundry for tonight. Which we usually lock one of our cats in the laundry because he gets in cat fights so we will see if they will sleep in there together!

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
Cat's are born to hunt...I don't think there is anything you can do to stop it. Your cat doesn't view your rabbit's as prey, but probably views wild ones, especially the smaller ones, as prey.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
353 Posts
m,y cat did the same thing i mean no harm posting this but my cat little man attacked a bird right in from of my didnt chew it just put it in his mouse and brang the stuned bird to my door and set it there

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have heard of such stories of cats bringing dead animals home, but never rabbits! But I wish I had baby rabbits prancing around my backyard :p Strange that your cat doesn't kill the rabbits he brings back.
Out of topic, but are rabbits considered pests in your country, since they eat up crops?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
From a cat's point of view, you are considered quite honored by his bringing home his latest prize. He is showing you that he really loves you ( I know, gross!)by bestowing his trophies to you.

It's a good thing I have birds now....I lived with cats most of my life. Be glad he doesn't bring it inside and put it in your bed.:eek:

All my cats were inside pets so no trophies for me thank you.....(except socks)

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
It's sad for the baby rabbits and distressing for you but at least they are no where near endangered animals and are a pest so your cat is actually doing a service. My mom's cat used to bring us baby eastern brown snakes instead, she was bitten twice and had antivenom administered before she finally went missing and never came home. My sister's cat just was put to sleep after being bitten by a tiger snake and she needed 2 shots at $1500 each plus extensive vet care and even then the vet said it probably wouldn't work so she opted to get her put down. Just saying, it could be a lot worse! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.