Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here and new to budgie owning. I know you gender budgies by the colour of there cere but my budgie was bought for me and they did not ask the age of the budgies so I'm not sure how old they are.
When looking at my budgies cere it looks like either a one month old female or a 3 month old male's so I'm not sure which it is.
I think they might be female but if there is anyone who knows for sure Id really appreciate the help so I can settle on a name and know what yo call them.

Also yes I know the cage is far too small, my gran bought everything and the store lied and said that was big enough for not only one bird but two... its sad the misinformation these stores hand out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe that your bird is a recessive pied. Male recessive pied never get blue ceres, no matter how old, from what I hear. I would guess that you budgie is female. Could you post a picture of her wing? I'd like to see if she is indeed a recessive pied because that would settle the score. I'm 70% sure she's female. Someone more experienced will get with you soon!

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums!

Your little one is a gorgeous girl! :)

She is precious, and yes, she is a recessive pied.

Meanwhile, you've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices. Be sure to read through the forum's many budgie articles and "stickies" (threads "stuck" to the top of each subforum for easy reference) to ensure you're up to date on everything! :D

We hope to see more of your beautiful little girl soon! :wave:

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Hi :welcome: Congrats on your new little one. She sure is a cutie!

You mentioned age... she couldn’t be one month old. Most budgies aren’t even weaned by that age, and it is not recommended for pet owners to buy a baby under 8-10 weeks old. Also, you mentioned a male at 3 months; a male’s cere at that age is no different than a male at any point before maturity.

Your girl is under 3-4 months of age from looking at the striped pattern on the head. When they start the first molt, you’ll see the stripes closest to the face start to disappear, and she will start getting a clear yellow “cap”.

She will greatly benefit from the addition of several toys, and perches made from natural branches, that you can buy online or at a pet shop. Also, as you already know, start keeping your eyes open for a larger cage. You can then use that one as a hospital cage or carrier.

Be sure to read our Stickies and Articles... you’ll find some essential information on keeping your girl healthy and happy. Diet tips, behavior, housing, healthcare, etc. You’ll also find answers to many common questions by reading the recommended material. If you still have questions we’re here.

Looking forward to hearing what you’ve named your girl :).

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.