Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can someone please tell me good brand of seed mix (it'll be great if its organic)? I read someone suggested Volksman's seed mix on this forum and when I searched that on Amazon.com and read people's questions there someone said in response to other that Volksman are now using dyes in their seed mix. I also read about Dr. Harvey's seed mix as it was also suggested on this forum so I searched that too and someone on amazon.com said that it's not organic. So please help if you can. Today I ran out of my bird's seed mix which is this one: Grreat Choice® Small Bird Food | bird Food | PetSmart and they were so loud asking for that seed mix (that seed mix I bought from my local petsmart the time I got my birds without searching for a good seed mix even though they like that seed mix which I bought that time).
Thanks all. :cobalt::green budgie:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm no expert (only have my rescued budgie for 3 months now) but I offer her 2 kinds of seed mix (in addition to the other things she gets daily) - Volkman's Featherglow and Hagen Budgie Seed. I put some in 2 separate cups in her cage. She loves them both, but I know budgies have individual tastes...heh. I also germinate some of the Hagen seed to give her as part of her breakfast or lunch.

I tried the Grreat Choice seed (it was the first seed mix I got when I found her) and she likes it, but refuses the pellets even when ground up. I've also taken the pellets out of it and germinated that seed with excellent results.

·
Administrator
55,151 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is just a suggestion but I would go ahead and buy another bag of the food they are used to. You can always slowly add something different in but the best seed in the world is no good if they won't eat it. And Dr, Harvey's is very different from most seed mixes. None of my birds will touch it. So feed those screaming buds the food they are used to - at least for now. I can tell you are trying to take the best care of them that you possibly can - they are lucky buds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you talking about Volksman Featherglow Soak and Simmer seed mix?
And you said Hagen Budgie Seed is that the one available on Petsmart.com with blue and white packaging and it says "Hagen Budgie Parakeet Bird Seed" on their site?
Let me know.

I'm no expert (only have my rescued budgie for 3 months now) but I offer her 2 kinds of seed mix (in addition to the other things she gets daily) - Volkman's Featherglow and Hagen Budgie Seed. I put some in 2 separate cups in her cage. She loves them both, but I know budgies have individual tastes...heh. I also germinate some of the Hagen seed to give her as part of her breakfast or lunch.

I tried the Grreat Choice seed (it was the first seed mix I got when I found her) and she likes it, but refuses the pellets even when ground up. I've also taken the pellets out of it and germinated that seed with excellent results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.