Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rescue budgie that has been with me for a little over a year, male, I'd say he's aprox. one and a half years or older, named Sky, and he hasn't been well lately.

His droppings changed to a light green, wet texture, and sometimes it's stuck up hims bottoms, which I try to clean but I'm afraid to hurt him or stress him because he's usually very loud. He's a lot more quiet and fluffed than usual, and his feathers are clean but have little stubs in the head (kinda like dreads, I don't know to explain.

I'm very ashamed to admit that unfortunately, due to the pandemics, I got into a bad financial crisis, and cannot afford and avian vet probably until next month, mostly because where I live they're few and very expensive, with no low budget nor free alternatives. Sorry if it's the wrong place, but I'm really lost and I don't wanna lose my Sky, he's all I got

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums,

Thanks for reaching out and despite the situation I can tell you really want to take good care of your little guy :hug:

What you're seeing are pin feathers; he must be going through a bad moult right now. For heavily mounting budgies, it's not at all uncommon for them to be more lethargic and stressed due to the toll moulting takes on them. For right now, I would just keep an eye on him, and to relieve some of his discomfort you can offer him a shallow pan of water to bathe in and supplement his diet with protein like a little mashed hardboiled egg to help his feathers grow in.

If it seems like he gets worse for any reason, however, then it may be best to at least phone the vet and ask them what they would recommend. :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, it's great to have you here on the forums! You've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices. If you have any questions after reading through the many budgie articles and "stickies", please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

We hope to see you around here! :wave:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums,

Thanks for reaching out and despite the situation I can tell you really want to take good care of your little guy :hug:

What you're seeing are pin feathers; he must be going through a bad moult right now. For heavily mounting budgies, it's not at all uncommon for them to be more lethargic and stressed due to the toll moulting takes on them. For right now, I would just keep an eye on him, and to relieve some of his discomfort you can offer him a shallow pan of water to bathe in and supplement his diet with protein like a little mashed hardboiled egg to help his feathers grow in.

If it seems like he gets worse for any reason, however, then it may be best to at least phone the vet and ask them what they would recommend. :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, it's great to have you here on the forums! You've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices. If you have any questions after reading through the many budgie articles and "stickies", please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

We hope to see you around here! :wave:
Thank you SO much for your reply!
Sky says thanks for the help!

I offered Sky some carrots, egg and gave him a little place to bathe, but one of my concerns is that he was never fond of veggies for some reason, he just ignores them, and now he did the same with the egg :( not sure if it's because it's the first time or if he never learned how to be a Budgie in his previous home (horrible place by the way) so now he just eats seeds and ignores the rest.
Sky seems to like lettuce and green leaves in general, but I'm afraid to give him too much, I heard it could make him worse.
Another thing that is really worrying me are his droppings that changed a lot in the past few days, and I'm not sure whether I should worry about it or not,

they look inconsistent, wet and very green, a little bigger than usual and sometimes get stuck on his little private area. I read that I should keep the area clean, so I'm using a cotton tip, to remove any droppings, but the area it's green stained (not sure if it's useful information).

Again, so sorry for sounding confused and a little lost, but this forum it's my only help right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
Sorry your bird is ill. It does sounds like he may have a GI issue, unfortunately he needs to be seen by a vet that can determine the problem. Are there any shelters in your area that have birds, if so maybe they have some resources that could help you.

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
I agree with Cody, if his droppings are that poor then he really may be sick, which in addition to his moult is probably very uncomfortable for the little one :upset:

Are you able to phone with an avian vet? In the meantime, make sure to keep him warm - is he still eating his regular food?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey all! Thanks for the replies, here's some update

Sky seems very quiet, and it's currently resting. I believe it's a good sign that he's perched up high in his cage, one feet up, fluffed like his usual sleep. Currently 12:30 PM where I live, it's a rather chilly day, 22C, his cage covered with a light blanket.
He hasn't touched the egg, so I decided to remove from his cage to avoid bugs and bacteria. Carrots are fresh from this morning but he also hasn't eaten them yet. He's eating his regular seed mix.
He seems to be struggling with pooping, and that made me call a vet who unfortunately, treated me really bad and insisted I had to pay or just watch my bird die, because "that's what's happening".
I tried to research any colleges and bird shelters but got no result at all.
At this point I really feel lost, because I really don't have a way to afford those vets, the consult alone it's $300.

UPDATE: Grandma said it'll get us both in trouble, but she gave me money to pay for a consult. I found the old card of an avian vet who I used to take an old rescue, and she's trying to fit me in her today's schedule. I'm still a little lost because the money it's not enough for exams and medication, but at least we get a little information.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Explain the situation to the Avian Vet when you see her and ask if you can set up a payment plan for whatever tests and medication are needed.

Best wishes and please be sure to let us know how things progress. :hug:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to thank you both for your patience and advice, thanks to this I was able to reach out for help and take Sky to the vet.

During the consult the vet addressed very concerning issues and told me Sky was severly underweight, and that his diet was incorrect. She said he has something blocking his intestinal functions, something she felt during a touch exam, and that I need to get an x-ray, medication and change his diet.

I feel really bad about this, wish I was more careful with information about his health and diet 😞 I'm currently trying to get money for exams, medication and his diet, also future consult, please wish me luck.

Again, thanks for the support

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
Glad to hear that you were able to see the vet. Please read through the many articles we have on the forum especially in the "Your Budgies Health" section of the forum, it will help you in becoming familiar with best practices in keeping your bird healthy.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
I'm very glad you took your budgie to the vet.

A Healthy Diet for Your Budgies

Cuttlebones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses

Quality Seed Mix

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

Site Guidelines
Posting on the Forums
Please do not use Emojis from Phones - use Forum Smilies Only
Let's Talk Budgies
How-To Guides
FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Budgie Articles
List of Stickies
Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
Avian First Aid
Why Quarantine?

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Guidance regarding Breeding Advice Threads

Recommended Minimum Cage Sizes
Essentials for a Great Cage
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
I'm so glad you were able to take him in and now you at least know the next steps to take. Thanks to your grandma for being so generous as well - I know how hard it can be financially especially during these times.

Best wishes for Sky, please keep us posted on how he's doing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey All,

Thanks again for all the amazing advices and support!

This will probably be my last update for a while, things aren't changing much.
Sky has started on a brand new diet, with medications and vitamins that were prescribed, but unfortunately it still feels like a rollercoaster, he doesn't seem to be improving much, he's calling a lot and I don't know if that's a good thing, and his privates are a little swollen. I'm still not able to afford his exams and further assistance so I don't know what to do next, except trying to make the best out of this situation so he can feel at least a little comfortable.
Sky does seem to be eating a little better and drinking a lot of water, I just hope I have more time to save him.

thanks,
Leo, Sky's Human

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.