Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Born2Bfree, bred2Bcaptive
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are their colors?

Charlie (has pale grey wing markings) - is he opaline greywing cobalt?

Birdie Baby - has overal cream/yellowish hue

Koko - is he dominant pied opaline sky blue?

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Hi Nika,
I'll give it a shot, but I'm not an expert so they may not all be right :p
Charlie- skyblue opaline spangle
Birdie Baby- yellow face type II sky blue recessive pied spangle
Koko- I agree that he is sky blue dominant pied, but I can't see opaline from the picture since I can't see the back.
Let's see what the experts have to say!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Hello Nika!

I think they are..
Charlie is a cobalt opaline full body color grey wing, since he is so brightly colored and normal greywings usualy are diluted some.

Birdie baby is a sky blue yellow face type 2 recessive pied. With the yellow face type 2 The yellow spreds all over they body to make her have that pretty yellow to her.

And Kiko is a skyblue opaline domanant pied like you said I think, you can see the lighter barring on his head and neck which makes him opaline =)

All very pretty!

I dont see spangle in any of them though, spangles have reverse wing markings yours just look like normals with opaline mixed in =)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I think that Charlie is opaline violet sky blue. Although his wing markings are lighter than the usual I don't think they are light enough for a greywing and his tail looks quite dark. The shade of blue is not dark enough for a cobalt. Violet sky blues are often mistaken for cobalts

Birdie Baby is a Type 2 yellow face opaline sky blue recessive pied. I breed a lot like this, I think that adding opaline to a recessive pied makes them much more attractive

Koko is opaline dominant pied sky blue like you said

·
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much :)
Zeena for trying to help me, Lindsey for giving extra info why they would be called that way, and Nev for your expertise in budgie mutations.

Nev, you just confirmed something about Charlie's coloring that made me think that he may not be just cobalt, because his color indeed is not something I have seen in cobalts before. But since I don't have enough experience in that field, I could not pinpoint what exactly his base color was.
Even though, his color in my picture may not look as anything special, I often look at him and simply admire him because his color is so different. Now I know why.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

·
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Birdie Baby is a Type 2 yellow face opaline sky blue recessive pied. I breed a lot like this, I think that adding opaline to a recessive pied makes them much more attractive
I agree Nev. I see such budgies without the opaline factor quite often in pet stores and even though they are also very pretty, adding the opaline makes them too cute for words :D

BTW, would you mind sharing with us some pics of your budgies with this color mutation, both being opaline and not? I'd like to see that difference in the photo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.