Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am trying to figure out what gender are my budgies. The green one is Ludwig and the blue and white one is Gerta. Also is it possible to say how old they are approximately? I would be very thankful for help!
Bird Photograph Vertebrate Beak Pet supply

Bird Beak Pet supply Parrot Feather

Bird Beak Cockatiel Pet supply Bird supply

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I think that the blue one is a boy, and the yellow a girl. Gerta (blue) appears to be a bit younger than Ludwig, under 3-4 months. Ludwig is less than a year, based on her eyes and light barring on her head.

Since you have a mixed gender set, you’ll need to discourage breeding (there are stickies on the forums about this).

Welcome!

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Srirachaseahawk is correct on the genders and ages. Please trim off the tassels on the rope in the cage, if the fibers are ingested it can get impacted in the crop and cause an infection to develop. What size is their cage?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Srirachaseahawk is correct on the genders and ages. Please trim off the tassels on the rope in the cage, if the fibers are ingested it can get impacted in the crop and cause an infection to develop. What size is their cage?
I will try to find out what the size is, but as i read on this forum it’s too small for two birds and i am looking for a bigger one for them. Ill also trim the ropes. Im worried that it already affected Ludwig because he seemed sick for the last few days and they always loved to chew on the ropes which i thought is fine

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Ludwig does not look too good in the first picture, what have you noticed that makes you think there may be a problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ludwig does not look too good in the first picture, what have you noticed that makes you think there may be a problem?
He was very active before, always chirping and trying to rip the cage apart. Then he suddenly became quite, sitting in one place and first few days it looked like he was trying to reach out to grab breaths of air. He also looked very puffed up like in the first picture and his poop looked a little more watery. Now it looks like he feels better after i gave some things for him to drink that doctors suggested, but i still think he isn’t as well as he was

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Did you see an avian vet? What did you give Ludwig? Ludwig the green and yellow bird is a female.

·
Administrator
57,889 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

The GREEN budgie (Ludwig) is FEMALE.
The BLUE budgie (Gerta) is MALE

Additionally, with a mixed gender pair it is very important you do everything necessary to prevent breeding:

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Rearranging their cage frequently will help tremendously.
Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
When they come into condition, limit the light they get to 8 hours a day and limit the amount of protein in their diet.

Ludwig (green budgie which is FEMALE) should be seen by an Avian Vet.
Ingestion of fibers can easily cause crop impaction.
Dangers of Rope, Snuggle Huts, Fabric and Tasseled Toys

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
Use the link provided above to locate an Avian Veterinarian.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you very much! I will try and see an Avian vet as soon as possible.

I didn't see an Avian vet yet but my parents called one because I was in school when Ludwig was first showing signs of illness. The vet said to give her chamomile tea, broth of flax, and Nekton medication. Today she looked much better and even started chirping loudly as she did before. I want to be sure that I do everything I can before going to the vet (i need to get used to calling Ludwig she)

Also, would you say I need a special cage now that I don't want them to mate and possibly be separated? I'm planning to buy them a new bigger one and want to make sure that it checks out all the boxes.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
You do not need to separate the birds unless things get out of hand and it does not sound like that is the case right now. The things that you gave Ludwig will not treat an infection if there is one, which Nekton product do you have, all the Nekton products I am aware of are nutritional/vitamin supplements. This is a nice cage for 2 birds if you have the space https://www.amazon.com/Parakeet-Coc...5JYRBN,B08866PHP6,B09KX5NGSZ&srpt=ANIMAL_CAGE

·
Administrator
57,889 Posts
If you are planning to get a bigger cage for them, then you might want to consider getting a MCage Double Flight Cage with a Divider.
Mcage Double Flight with Divider
Having the cage with the Removable Divider gives you options. As long as things remain fine - then you can leave the divider out.
Hopefully, you will never need to separate the two, but if you do, then you are prepared.
Note that the Mcage has the proper spacing between the bars of 1/2". The "knock-off" brands do not usually have the correct spacing.
You should never get a cage with bar spacing that is greater than 1/2". Even a tiny bit bigger may mean the budgie will get its head caught between the bars.

Was the vet your parents contacted an Avian Vet?

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

You’ve been given great advice above, and great resources by FaeryBee. Please be sure to ask if you have any questions after reading through everything!

Best of luck with your budgies! I hope things go well for them and you’re able to find a good avian vet.

Cheers 👋🏻

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a link to find an avian vet, open the radius to more than 5 miles and put in your city and state https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803
I am looking for an Avian vet, but i noticed Ludwig something i didn't her see before. She is feeling much better and took the role of the singer back from Gerta, but she started doing these weird head movements. Is it normal for budgies?

P.S - I already ordered the cage you suggested so they finally will have more room.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Budgies do many different movements, can you post a video of the movement you are referring to or describe in detail? Did you use the link I posted in looking for an avian vet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Budgies do many different movements, can you post a video of the movement you are referring to or describe in detail? Did you use the link I posted in looking for an avian vet?
Sorry, i had to update the link, but its there now. I did use your link

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Are you referring to those little flicking movements, if so budgies will often do that when chatting to themselves.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts