Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Just found this forum seeking help for my sick birb. He's been with me for around 8 months now (I don't know his age looked like a baby budgie from cere when he flew in randomly one day). He got severely dehydrated two days back and became really inactive. Lost his balance yesterday morning and started twitching and having seizures of sort. I'm from a small town in India and there aren't any dedicated avian docs nearby but I took him to a vet immediately. He looked up some symptoms talked to another vet on phone and prescribed him amoxicillin saying it was an infection.
The seizures continued almost the entire day yesterday but stopped after around 7-8 hours post which he kept sleeping. I kept feeding him ORS solution with water intermittently.
He's woken up a little better today- has been trying to walk but it staggered (I'm guessing body weakness or some damage). Tries to eat but doesn't have much strength so I'm feeding him his fruit pellets mixed with water through a syringe but doesn't eat enough. Poop is still watery at times but the droppings were dark green (almost black) and solid now. I checked online and it shows just lack of food.
Is there anything I can do to force feed him? I'm considering giving him fresh apple or pear juice through syringe but not sure if sick birds should be given fruit diet. I don't have experience taking care of a sick bird, would really appreciate any help or advice here!! Really don't want to lose my little buddy.

·
Administrator
56,653 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear your budgie is so ill. Thank you for rescuing him 8 months ago when you did. What is his name?

May I ask how he came to become severely dehydrated? Was it because he was out in the heat too much, out of water or simply not drinking?

Please try using this link to find an Avian Veterinarian near you.

Avian Association of Veterinarians

You really need a good professional diagnosis and treatment plan since the budgie has suffered seizures.

I'm assuming from what I read on-line that ORS solution is like Pedialyte (an electrolyte solution)
Guardian Angel//Pedialyte//Pedialyte Recipe

You can soak millet in the Pedialyte and see if he will eat that. Pedialyte should stimulate his appetite and encourage him to drink)
If he will take some apple juice that's fine as it will at least get a little nutrition into him.

Good luck and please keep us updated on his condition.

·
Super Moderator
18,469 Posts
Welcome to the forums~

I'm sorry to hear of all the issues you're having with your little one :( You've been given great advice and resources above by FaeryBee.

The most important thing is to try and find an avian vet who is able to properly diagnose him! Please keep us posted and I hope he feels better soon :)

Cheers 👋

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.