Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have two budgies, one is Ludwig (blue), and the other one is Gerta (green). I bought Gerta first, but after reading a bit i realized that it would be better if i bought her a friend because i wouldn’t be able to spend enough time with her due to my school and other things. My sister also got a budgie when i did, but it was already sick, and in two days when we realized that something is wrong and were already almost at the vet she sadly died. So when i got my second budgie she decided to get two together and tried to look for friends and be careful to not separate any two best friends. On the website i was reading about bringing a new budgie i didnt read anything about quarantining so i put Ludwig in the cage right away which i now realize wasn’t good on my part, but thankfully they came along well and became friends. The thing is that Gerta was constantly calling my sisters budgies or just one of them, and they would just call each other a few times a day very loudly, while Gerta tried to get out of the cage by any means. So it started looking to me that she wasn’t as much friends with Ludwig, as much with one of my sisters budgies. Now a few days she suddenly started being more aggressive and mean, sometimes pushing Ludwig of the branch, flying to where he is sitting or eating and pushing him away, and then other times they look like good friends again which is confusing. I was already to start working on separating them for a few weeks, but i thought maybe this can have something to do with the relationship between Gerta and one of my sisters budgie, and maybe instead of separating my budgies, i should switch homes for gerta and possibly relocate one of my sisters budgies to my cage. Why this also may be a good idea is because my budgies are different genders and im worried about breeding, but if my sisters budgies are also different genders we can just have boy with boy, and girl with girl. Can this be a good idea or is it too much stress for them? They are not that far from each other so they always hear each other and as i said before sometimes talk, but this is almost never happening now unlike the before. Maybe we can have them all live together in my big cage so they are not separated and dont miss each other possibly? Here are my sisters budgies, i would be very thankful if someone could tell me their age and sex, and also any help and suggestions with the situation im in. Thank you!

Bird Beak Parrot Macaw Fence

Bird Wood Pet supply Beak Parrot

·
Administrator
57,907 Posts
From what I can see (and these pictures are not the best for determining gender) It appears they are two boys.
Please post full frontal close-up pictures of the budgies' ceres taken in natural light. No flash and no direct sunlight with shadows>

If there are two boys, moving Gerta in with one of them may help her temperament but breeding will still need to be prevented.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I can see (and these pictures are not the best for determining gender) It appears they are two boys.
Please post full frontal close-up pictures of the budgies' ceres taken in natural light. No flash and no direct sunlight with shadows>

If there are two boys, moving Gerta in with one of them may help her temperament but breeding will still need to be prevented.
I will post pictures of them in natural light when i can get them.
What can you say about the idea of moving all four to one cage? Or is it better to just give Gerta a different friend and keep them separated two and two?

·
Administrator
57,907 Posts
Definitely do NOT move all of them into one cage if both of your sister's budgies are boys.

I would not advise getting another budgie to be Gerta's friend. She may be a bird that just doesn't get along well with others.
Then you'd end up having to house the new budgie separately, Gerta separately, etc.

Let's wait and see for sure what genders your sister's budgies are. What are their names?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely do NOT move all of them into one cage if both of your sister's budgies are boys.

I would not advise getting another budgie to be Gerta's friend. She may be a bird that just doesn't get along well with others.
Then you'd end up having to house the new budgie separately, Gerta separately, etc.

Let's wait and see for sure what genders your sister's budgies are. What are their names?
Sorry i was unclear, i meant switching gerta to my sisters cage and one of her to my cage, not buying a new one. Their names are very interesting, Albert and Merlin (girl) because my sister thought they are opposite genders.

·
Administrator
57,907 Posts
If both of your sister's budgies end up being male, you would still have to take the steps to prevent Gerta and whatever budgie she is placed with from breeding.
As mentioned, there is no guarantee that Gerta will not be aggressive toward other budgies...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.