Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
It’s hard to see the cere from this image….but I think it’s a girl? Can you get a photo of his/her face from the front?

S/he is adorable, either way!

·
Registered
Mango , Kiwi and late berry
85 Posts
Hi I'm getting a hand raised baby in a couple weeks and I was hoping for a boy and wanted to check what everyone thought about this one. Not the best picture sorry. But any guesses would be helpful thanks
The cere isn't clearly visible. Another picture from the front would help.

·
Super Moderator
18,583 Posts
What an adorable baby! There’s still a lot of melanin on the beak/cere, which is very common in babies. It fades as they get older! However at this time it’s hard to make out the cere. If you’re able to get updated photos in a week or so from the breeder, showing the cere, it would be much easier to tell!

Is there any reason you wanted a boy?

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Please post a close-up full frontal picture of the budgie's cere taken in natural light -- no flash and no direct sunlight.

Why, specifically, are you hoping for a male budgie?

The baby is adorable!! 💙

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Your idea of having all boys is excellent. However, keep in mind that when you have three budgies sometimes one will end up being "the third wheel".
However, this is not always the case.
I've had three at one time and they did fine together. When I had an even number, the budgies all paired up with a "best buddy"

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
I did think maybe I should look into getting a forth. I don't want any of them left out
Make sure you get another of the same gender.

You also have to ensure the cage is big enough for all four IF you plan to house all four together.

Don't forget that the new budgies need to be quarantined.
Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds

1 - 11 of 11 Posts