Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
stopped in at the local petsmart yesterday, and seen this little sweetie just sitting there watching me... and every time I walked by, she'd follow me from one side to the other, and I had to take her home! She was in with a bunch of other similar colored budgies, all looked alike with the sole exception some were yellow rather than white. But s/he was the only one with the blue-grey color, and the only one that seemed to watch me.

So any clue on genetics for him/her??? I'm thinking it's a she, but because I'm unsure of the mutation, and I get the feeling it's a sex linked one, I figured I'd ask the experts! the cere is slightly darker than the photos show, but not by much...

The grey on the belly is also in between the wings, like a dark grey with a hint of purple, which doesn't show too well

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Could be a mauve recessive pied. But i'm not sure because i don't see any colours on the cheeks, could be something else.
Really good looking budgie though!!
Budgies are so addictiong! i totally understand why you brought her/him home! :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if she is really tame or just scared lol but she isn't a problem to take out of the cage and will sit on the shoulder no problem, so I'm hoping she's fairly tamed!!

And no Zeena. no cheek patches what so ever, and yes, VERY addicting!!!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
It is a recessive pied male. The base colour is either mauve or grey. He has a pink cere and it will stay pink instead of turning blue like males of other mutations. It is not a sex linked mutation

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah ok then....was wondering as to sex, as he still has a few baby bars kicking around, but they look different, like the patterning is backwards and the color is more brown than black. I tried to compare what I see to pics I have of Princess' babies and the difference was really noticable. Was wondering if maybe he had a mix of opaline or something in there. I know the pic does not show it very well at all!! I had figured on the recessive pied bit, but I'm not confident on my mutations!!!!

Regardless, thanks Nev, you rock as usual :)

Now the name game begins......lolol

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I love your new baby :) Beautiful choice!

·
Budgie Addict :)
6,526 Posts
Beautiful new budgie.:D I'd say that he's probably over 4 months though. Because my Snowy who is the same mutation had bars clear up to his cere when I first brought him home. Like this pic is right after I got him.

And now his bars looks like yours. And I think I got him in May.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Hard to resist when they seem to have picked you, isn't it? Very pretty bird.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.