Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help identify what my new baby is? Pretty sure he is a boy, but I'm feeling really lost and have no idea where to start identifying his mutation :p

It is hard to see in the photos, but his cheek patches are actually a really dark blue.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Is he showing signs of getting Iris rings? If so I would say he is a Double Factor Dominant Pied ****, if he does not get Iris rings I would say Recessive Pied ****.
As for the colouring does the blue colour show true on the picture as it does look very dark?

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I agree he's male.

His blue patch looks mauve. You can double-check his "dark factor" (shade of blue) here: http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkfactor.

I'm reasonably certain he's pied. This site explains the pied mutations: http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#dominantpied. Adult dominant pieds have bright blue ceres and iris rings; recessive pieds have dark pink ceres and do not have iris rings. Since he's a baby, we can't pin down the pied mutation yet.

I'm guessing he could be:
- double factor dominant pied mauve
- spangle dominant pied, recessive pied or combined dominant-recessive pied mauve
- spangle double factor dominant pied mauve

I'm sure an expert will be along soon to offer a better opinion.

He's a cutie! :loveeyes:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Looks like a recessive pied male to me but with so many clear areas it's hard to be sure without knowing the breeding

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone - unfortunately I do not know his parents, he is a pet store budgie :rolleyes: When I first looked at him I thought a clear flight, but than the random patch of blue on his back threw me off and the black mask on his face caught me off guard as well - will I be able to tell more as he gets older?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.