Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought 2 Budgies yesterday and I am so excited! I never had one before so I am a little nervous. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jillian
20210330_064146.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Welcome to Talk Budgies!! I have lots of information for you which I will send when I’m back home and on my computer!
Your two little ones are so cute cuddled together. Please be sure to review the info that FaeryBee gives you. In looking at the picture one thing I would suggest is a larger cage and it appears that you have some type of loose material at the bottom, it is better to use plain paper, newsprint or paper towels as it is necessary to be able to clearly see and evaluate the droppings. What have you named them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your two little ones are so cute cuddled together. Please be sure to review the info that FaeryBee gives you. In looking at the picture one thing I would suggest is a larger cage and it appears that you have some type of loose material at the bottom, it is better to use plain paper, newsprint or paper towels as it is necessary to be able to clearly see and evaluate the droppings. What have you named them?
Thank you for the advice. What are the dimensions of the cage I should have? As far as the loose material at the bottom I was told to get the stuff called So Phresh Paper Pellet Small Animal Litter. Will this stuff not work well?

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums! :geek:

It's great to have you with us and your little ones are adorable. While you're here, it would be great if you could get familiarized with the many resources on the forums. We had a forum interface update recently and the staff are still trying to figure everything out so if replies are slow, please bear with us! We're glad to have you here and you've come to a great place to learn even more about the best practices for keeping budgies!

Hope to see you around! (y)

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES

List of Stickies

Posting on the Forums

Please do not use phone emojis when posting

Let's Talk Budgies!

How-To Guides

FAQ

Articles

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense

Avian First Aid

Quarantine IS Necessary!

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old

Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Cage sizes.

Essentials to a Great Cage

Resource Directory

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
You are very welcome! Please be aware that your budgies need a cage that is a minimum of 30" wide x 18" deep x 18" high and bigger is better!
Additionally, I recommend you remove the wooden dowel perch in the cage and replace it with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.

Pressure Sores

The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:

Essentials for a Great Cage

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Thank you for the advice. What are the dimensions of the cage I should have? As far as the loose material at the bottom I was told to get the stuff called So Phresh Paper Pellet Small Animal Litter. Will this stuff not work well?
Cage size 30"wx18"hx18"d at a minimum. The paper pellets you referred to are for animals like guinea pigs and rabbits that will be urinating in them and they will absorb the urine, this is not needed for birds as their droppings are not liquid, also the paper pellets contain baking soda and if the birds should chew on them it would not be good for them.

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
You should cover the bottom grate of the cage with either white paper towel or blank newspaper which is called "newsprint" or "packing paper".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should cover the bottom grate of the cage with either white paper towel or blank newspaper which is called "newsprint" or "packing paper".
Alright I just bought a new cage. They will have PLENTY of room to fly around in it. I should have it by the 5th. The one I have now is 16.5" L X 11.8" W X 22" H. Also, I will stop using the paper pellets and use copy paper. I guess I won't be listening to the pet store ever again LOL Thank you so much for the advice!!

Where can I find white packing paper? Sorry for so many questions.

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
Glad to hear you've bought a new cage. What are the dimensions of it? Length x Width x Height?

I buy white packing paper (aka: newsprint) in a huge amount from Amazon Smile because I have multiple very large flight cages (F050s and F040s) You can do a search on their site for packing paper and you will find it in smaller quantities.

Here is the link to the actual paper I purchase: Amazon.com: ValueMailers VMKP24x36 Newsprint Paper 50 Lbs of 24" x 36" Packing Paper Bundles Moving Shipping Fill: Industrial & Scientific

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Glad to hear you've bought a new cage. What are the dimensions of it? Length x Width x Height?

I buy white packing paper (aka: newsprint) in a huge amount from Amazon Smile because I have multiple very large flight cages (F050s and F040s) You can do a search on their site for packing paper and you will find it in smaller quantities.

Here is the link to the actual paper I purchase: Amazon.com: ValueMailers VMKP24x36 Newsprint Paper 50 Lbs of 24" x 36" Packing Paper Bundles Moving Shipping Fill: Industrial & Scientific
For a smaller quantity try a UHAUL place, they sell it in small quantities, the sheets in this link are 24"x30" Packing Paper (200 Sheets) | U-Haul

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi there Jillian. Welcome! They are adorable. Browse through the threads here. You'll learn tons. I hope to see your progress. Keep us updated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts