Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are my 7 new birds. I should have pedigrees the beginning of next week. Please feel free to tell me if my guesses on mutations are right or wrong. :)

Also after they settle in and quarantine the birds of age I am looking to breed. I want to for sure try for yellow faces and violets. I would love one similar to the bird below, with the vibrant violet. I know it's a long shot, but I gotta try :)

So any pair suggestions would be great! Thank you!

Hen - dark eyed clear.

Hen - grey spangle

Hen - cinnamon spangle skyblue violet
(In person she looks like a soft pastel violet)

**** - normal light green

**** - normal green/a bit darker

**** - syyblue dominant pied

**** - normal cobalt violet (was told he was a dark violet, but looks more dark blue with hints of violet- darker in person/he does have the navy blue tail.)

These are my current birds/I think these are the mutations you guys said, I'll have to write these all down. :)

Hen - skyblue dominant pied clearflight

Hen - YF2 skyblue opaline

**** - normal cobalt/possible violet gene

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
your variety guesses seem right to me. although your hen dom pied, is she supposed to be clearflight pied?

i think the **** dom pied is what they call a frosted pied, the wing markings are a bit different from usual...

lovely looking birds

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
top to bottom

YF2 Cobalt violet spangle
dark -eyed clear
Opaline grey spangle
Opaline sky blue spangle
Lime green
normal green
Sky blue opaline split for pied
Normal cobalt
-------------------------------------------------

Skyblue clearflight
YF2 opaline sky blue
normal cobalt

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your variety guesses seem right to me. although your hen dom pied, is she supposed to be clearflight pied?

i think the **** dom pied is what they call a frosted pied, the wing markings are a bit different from usual...

lovely looking birds
:rolleyes: Yes I meant clearflight! OOPs I'll change it. And the breeder did call him frosted but I'd never heard of it before so left it out. But it is an actual mutation?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I think you have most of them right. I can't see the 1st one well enough to be sure. The cinnamon is not obvious in the 4th picture but you can probably see it in the actual bird. The 9th bird is not both dominant pied and clearflight pied - I think she is just clearflight pied. The hen you say is YF2 skyblue opaline, I think looks YF2 cobalt opaline

I particularly like your grey spangle hen

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you have most of them right. I can't see the 1st one well enough to be sure. The cinnamon is not obvious in the 4th picture but you can probably see it in the actual bird. The 9th bird is not both dominant pied and clearflight pied - I think she is just clearflight pied. The hen you say is YF2 skyblue opaline, I think looks YF2 cobalt opaline

I particularly like your grey spangle hen
How do you tell if they are dominant pied, I think I'm confused? I thought it was the spot on the back of the head? Also the grey and one below it are they opaline too? He said he didn't mix spangle and opaline though.
Also which pairs would be best for yellow faces and violets?
And thank you! :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts

How do you tell if they are dominant pied, I think I'm confused? I thought it was the spot on the back of the head? Also the grey and one below it are they opaline too? He said he didn't mix spangle and opaline though.
Also which pairs would be best for yellow faces and violets?
And thank you! :)
All pied types, including recessive pieds, have a clear area on the back of their heads. Dominant pieds have a clear area about the middle or lower part of their bodies. Clearflight pieds either have no clear area on the front of their bodies or a small amount on the chest area. The barring on the wings is also slightly different. Your dark eyed clear should produce some clearflight pied chicks. Frosted pieds are clearflight pieds with clear flecks on their bodies, usually on the chest area

The 2 spangles are not opaline

Yellow face and violet are both dominant mutations so as long as the parents show the mutations some of the chicks will inherit them. I would mate the cobalt violet **** to a type 1 yellow face hen. The reason that I'd prefer a type 1 hen is that with type 2 or golden face the spread of the yellow ruins the violet colour

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All pied types, including recessive pieds, have a clear area on the back of their heads. Dominant pieds have a clear area about the middle or lower part of their bodies. Clearflight pieds either have no clear area on the front of their bodies or a small amount on the chest area. The barring on the wings is also slightly different. Your dark eyed clear should produce some clearflight pied chicks. Frosted pieds are clearflight pieds with clear flecks on their bodies, usually on the chest area

The 2 spangles are not opaline

Yellow face and violet are both dominant mutations so as long as the parents show the mutations some of the chicks will inherit them. I would mate the cobalt violet **** to a type 1 yellow face hen. The reason that I'd prefer a type 1 hen is that with type 2 or golden face the spread of the yellow ruins the violet colour
Dominant pieds have the stripe of color going across their breast area? Ok so I really don't have a chance to get any dominant pieds do I.

I guess for now as far as the yf1 to the cobalt, I only have the yf2. I don't really want to buy anymore birds at the moment... Are there any chances of getting a nice yf violet?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
you may get a nice yf violet witha yf2, but it is more likely that the yellow will run down and affect the violet. it can be a nice effect in some birds so i would give it a go and see if you like it...

i like the strange wing markings on the clearflight (frosted) pied. it is a shame he does not have more clearflights. but his chicks may.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you may get a nice yf violet witha yf2, but it is more likely that the yellow will run down and affect the violet. it can be a nice effect in some birds so i would give it a go and see if you like it...

i like the strange wing markings on the clearflight (frosted) pied. it is a shame he does not have more clearflights. but his chicks may.
What about the dominant pieds, one of these would have to be split, right?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I was thinking you were leaving out Opaline in some of the birds. The body color leaks into the wings. It's my favorite mutation! They are all gorgeous too. Best of luck with them!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking you were leaving out Opaline in some of the birds. The body color leaks into the wings. It's my favorite mutation! They are all gorgeous too. Best of luck with them!
Which did you think were opaline? I asked Nev about the grey and the cinnamon spangle and he said no. I do love opaline too! And thank you!

·
Registered
75 Posts
they are all gorgeous,best of luck with them and your future violet yellow face,I m standing for pics!!!thanks

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I thought 5, 7, 8, and 10 were opaline. But don't trust me! I could be wrong! :eek:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Teasha,
I'm new to birding but just wanted to say they are all beautiful!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they are all gorgeous,best of luck with them and your future violet yellow face,I m standing for pics!!!thanks
Thanks! It'll be awhile yet 7 are still in quarantine :)

I thought 5, 7, 8, and 10 were opaline. But don't trust me! I could be wrong! :eek:
Hmm I thought opaline was the lines on the back of the head were not there and that also applied to the v between the wings, like my yellow face.

Teasha,
I'm new to birding but just wanted to say they are all beautiful!
Thank you! Hope you stick around!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

they cannot be split for dominant pied, so if you do not have one you can't breed one, sorry. you will need to find one in the future, but the clearflights can give very similar looking markings so they may well give you the look you like.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi there,

they cannot be split for dominant pied, so if you do not have one you can't breed one, sorry. you will need to find one in the future, but the clearflights can give very similar looking markings so they may well give you the look you like.
Ok thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.