Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 4 new birds just out of quarantine and would like to know if my hunch on their mutations matches the consensus here.

First up is a bird I have so far called "Am I Mauve?" LOL

Don't let this sway your perception of his color, however. :) I think he is either YF2 Mauve, or possibly YF2 Cobalt + SF Grey among others I'm sure. Slate comes to mind again as well. I'm leaning toward Cobalt + Grey because of the primary tail feathers color being dark grey/blackish at the ends but with it also having some blue underlying in the middle and top.

I'm in the middle in this picture!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's very stunning...I'd love to find a grey factor around here like that.

Thank you!! If I could feel sure he actually does have a grey factor, it would make it easier to decide whether I want to use him for any kind of breeding purposes. I agree, he sure is pretty. Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yellow Face I Cobalt Grey....possibly violet?

I agree with this for the most part. I think he's YF2 though because of the yellow found in his tail and the yellow cast you can see on his chest when looking at him in person. I am trying to determine is his wings have yellow in them - if they do it's VERY light and evenly distributed.

Guthwulf, or Nev? Any opinions here?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Btw he is beautiful.

Thank you, Teasha. I can't even believe how quickly I can fall for these beautiful little creatures. I picked them up from a guy who had 20 birds in a medium sized cockatiel cage. Typically I would advise someone to walk away from that deal, but I just KNEW I could give a better environment and life to as many as I was able to take with me. So, I took four amazing little creatures home that day and feel good about what their life will now be like, but my heart breaks for the others I couldn't take. :(

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Tricky to say with all the flash in the photo. Flash tends to bring out more blue than might otherwise be seen in normal light. Having said that I would actually lean towards YF1 mauve (not counting any possible splits).

Reason for saying YF1 is he is obviously in his adult plumage and I dont see the yellow blending into the body colour I would expect from a YF2 although it could be because of the flash. Reason for saying Mauve as opposed to grey is that while the flash could be making slate grey cheek patches appear purpley blue, its in fact his tail that makes me suspect mauve. Even with flash i've never known a grey to have any bluish tone in the primary tail feathers which he does seem to have. So that is my thoughts at least - YF1 mauve from what I can SEE.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
All I can say is he is gorgeous and I want him.
Please forward me your address and I be on my way to pick him up.
Also thank you for offering Am I Mauve, I will give him a very nice home!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tricky to say with all the flash in the photo. Flash tends to bring out more blue than might otherwise be seen in normal light. Having said that I would actually lean towards YF1 mauve (not counting any possible splits).

Reason for saying YF1 is he is obviously in his adult plumage and I dont see the yellow blending into the body colour I would expect from a YF2 although it could be because of the flash. Reason for saying Mauve as opposed to grey is that while the flash could be making slate grey cheek patches appear purpley blue, its in fact his tail that makes me suspect mauve. Even with flash i've never known a grey to have any bluish tone in the primary tail feathers which he does seem to have. So that is my thoughts at least - YF1 mauve from what I can SEE.
And what you can see is all you can go on. I took natural light photos this morning of Mr. Beautiful for further examination. Hopefully the natural light will make it easier to be sure. If you look closely, maybe you can see the yellow suffusion I see on his chest leading me to the YF2 conclusion. Still, I'd be thrilled if he were a YF1!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi again,

photos can made things so tricky!

basically, you have to decide for yourself and then if you breed you may confirm or change it.

what dean says could well be right... i thought i could see a bit of yellow wash so lean towards yf2, but if it is not there, or only a little bit and he is more than a year old then i would agree with yf1.

as far as grey and mauve go, i would rely on his tail... black is grey, if it is blue then he is mauve.

let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All I can say is he is gorgeous and I want him.
Please forward me your address and I be on my way to pick him up.
Also thank you for offering Am I Mauve, I will give him a very nice home!

LOLOL!! That is funny and very sweet too. Thank you for being so willing to give my boy a nice home! I'll let you know if he ever decides to run away! ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.