Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we brought home our new budgie friend. 10 weeks old and hand fed.
She was so scared, huddled at the back of the travel carrier, I just put the carrier in the bottom of the cage.
She’s still in the carrier this morning - although she’s close to the front now, peeking out.
Any advice on helping “her” become comfortable?

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
Budgies need a minimum of two weeks to settle into their new home.
They are often submissive initially because they are terrified.
You should not try to touch or tame them at this time.
You can cover the top and three sides of the cage to help her feel more secure.
Play music or the TV for her when you are not around during the day.

Keep her food and water on the floor of the cage near where she is resting right now but maybe a bit farther away from the opening so she needs to come out to get to it.
Don't spend too much time checking on her. Give her a couple of hours between "checks".
When she starts feeling a little more comfortable she'll finally venture out of the carrier box, just give her some time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the reassurance.
I was a little worried that leaving her in the box was harmful somehow.
Yes, I have water and seed from the breeder on the floor and will be patient.
Thanks again

·
Registered
93 Posts
One of my two budgies was the exact same, she stayed hidden and would barely eat from the stress of the new environment for a total of 3 days, but bit by bit she started making progress and exploring some. Best of luck with your new buddy! Get her used to pellets whilst she's young, you'll thank yourself later. You may have to pestle & mortar the pellets to a smaller size for her, like large grains of sand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She came out!!!
(I think she’s a she)
We went out for a couple hours and I put on a recording of happy budgie noises while we were out.
She’s hanging out in the bottom corner of the cage now.
She’s still very still but looking around.
We bought some ZuPreem Natural to get her on pellets. The breeder said to slowly transition first from the breeder seed mix to this Versele-laga Prestige premium seed mix. And then slowly transition to pellets. Does that make sense?

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
What an absolute cutie, and you have the Vision cage? Let me know how it is, I was considering one myself but ended up getting a larger cage because it was going for the same price. So much mess escapes it though, sometimes makes me wish I'd gone with the Vision. But then I see my birds enjoying all their cage space and realise it's worth the constant tidying up. I'm still thinking of getting one just for feeding them messy foods in it, would save me having to sweep and mop the floors daily.

What the breeder said makes perfect sense. You have plenty of time, as well, she's a little baby. Mine are five and six months old and I just transitioned them over and it was a nightmare. If I started when they were younger, life would have been so much better.

Is she able to fly yet? I just googled it and budgies learn to fly between 4-5 weeks. I look forward to your future pictures!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. the cage is pretty big to my inexperienced eyes.
Mine is 15” deep by 34” high and 28” wide.
I hope that’s big enough!!
We love her so much already!!

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
She's so sweet. Years ago I adopted a couple of budgies and they came with that cage. I lined the bottom of the cage with plain paper towels placed right on top of the grate, made things easier to clean and easier to monitor the droppings. The cage is fine for her.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, she’s eating and drinking well today.
still staying on the floor of the cage.
Her wings are clipped.
I've put a cotton perch down low to encourage her.
Here’s a couple pictures of her.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
Looking good, because her wings are clipped it would be good for you to put a small ladder or ramp in the cage so she can get to the upper perches, because of the way this cage is made there is nothing she can grab onto within several inches of the bottom and climb up, she has to be able to get past the solid clear area of the cage to reach the bars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok put a ladder in.
Just got a call from the breeder saying we should be taking her out of the cage for short visits. But she’s still so scared, I don’t feel right just grabbing her.
Am I right to wait until she chooses to come?

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
If she were mine, I wouldn't even be considering it, as I still feel she's not had enough time to settle in. After five days or a week, I'd start feeding treats from my hand, but letting her come to me and I'd not be putting my hand inside the cage. I'd just hold it against the bars.

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
Taming and Bonding is all about helping your budgie learn to trust you and it takes a great deal of time and patience on your part.

Your budgie is definitely a female.

You should never grab your budgie or force her to be touched.

To bond with your budgie, you need to build her trust in you.

She will have to learn over time that you will not hurt her, grab her and try to force her to allow you to hold her.

To build your budgie’s trust, sit by her cage and read, talk or sing quietly to her for a period of at least 10-15 minutes, 3 or 4 times day. After the 2nd or 3rd day, rest your hand on the outside of the cage when you talk to her so she'll learn that your hand is safe and will not hurt her.

After a week, rest your hand inside the cage when you talk.
Don’t make sudden moves, don’t try to touch her.
Let her get used to the idea that the hand is now in her safe place and not harming her.

After 2 weeks, begin moving your hand slowly toward your budgie. If she becomes agitated, stop moving your hand and just hold very still until she calms down. When she's comfortable with your hand near her, you can offer her a bit of millet or a few seeds. In a few more days, you can begin your taming and bonding sessions.

Always work at your budgie's pace.
Move slowly and talk reassuringly and calmly to her whenever you interact with her.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Can I ask another question?
So her wings are clipped.
The breeders choice.
She climbs up the ladder I got for her (thanks again for that tip!) and that’s great. Made it to her food dish - yay!
I played some happy budgie sounds for her again today and she seemed to get so excited - chirping and singing for the first time.
Then she started trying to flap her wings and fly and couldn’t. She can’t seem to get any lift at all. She tried and tried and my heart was breaking for her.
I don’t think I should play those sounds again, but did they clip too many feathers?
Do I need to set up her cage like a jungle gym so she can make her way around?
Will she spend the next 6 months completely grounded?

edited to add:
I did rearrange the cage so she could reach everything by walking/climbing.
I just had no idea she wouldn’t even be able to fly up to a perch in her cage.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
Poor girl is severely clipped and will not be able to fly at all until her primary flight feathers molt out and grow back in which will take about 4-6 months. If you take her out of the cage and she tries to fly she will drop to the floor and possibly injure herself so be very careful with that. You might see her flapping like crazy while holding on to a perch, that's ok and will help to build up the muscles needed for flight. Once some of the primaries come in she may be able to stop herself from crashing to the floor but she needs most of the primary feathers to be able to get any lift and actually fly.

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
Cody is correct.

I'm so sorry to see that your little girl has been clipped that much.
I really wish that breeders would give people a choice before arbitrarily deciding that a budgie "needs" to be clipped.
At the very most, they should never do more than a "safety clip" on a new bird - nothing like what has been done here.

It's actually very good for your girl to flap her wings rapidly so that she can build up her muscular strength.

With regard to the Budgie Sounds - it would be better to play music for her. Too much of the budgie sounds can lead your little one to looking for the budgies she can't find which isn't a good thing. Additionally, make sure you don't put a mirror in her cage. Budgies can become obsessed with their reflection which can cause aggressive and/or territorial behavior. Some budgies will regurgitate to their image to the point where they become malnourished.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts