Talk Budgies Forums banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I hope tomorrow is better and she starts exploring bit and that I’ve set up the cage well enough for her to get around safely.
For now she just sits quietly on top of the ladder.
I just feel so sad...

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
It isn't your fault. You've said you've set up the cage so she can get around and it takes a few days for a budgie to settle in.
Spend time each day talking, singing or reading to her so she'll start to view you as her new "flock" member. 💙
Also, remember that budgies pick up on our emotions and stress.
The more calm, relaxed and peaceful you are in your thoughts around her, the happier she will become over time.

In a couple of days, start playing the "blinking game" with her.
When she looks at you, blink your eyes slowly. After awhile, you'll find she'll start blinking back at you. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you so much, once again, for all your wisdom, advice and support. We will start a new novel together tomorrow, and have a few singalongs. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We’ve got a few ideas. The kids (10&12) are still trying to choose their favourite.
frontrunners are Skye, Bluebell, and Melody

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Melody it is!
And she has taken to cuddling up in her food dish. Funny girl.
And she started chirping today.
So lovely to hear her.
My husband and I had been sitting and chatting with her for a bit.
We got up to go to the other room and she started chirping at us.
I think maybe she wanted us to come back. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
So sweet, sometimes young birds will get into their food dish, it is a feeling to them like they are still in the nest. I think her chirping was a signal to come back, she likes the company.

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
Yay, glad that "Melody" is the chosen name!
I love how the very young budgies love to cuddle up in their food dishes. You may also find that she decides she likes throwing all the food out onto the cage floor.

Keep in mind that if you do come back to her whenever she chirps for you, she is training you to do so.
Take a look at this link:

Positive Reinforcement in Training.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Story of the day...
Sat down after work with Melody.
We chatted a bit, blinked at each other, and then I started to sing.
She listened for a bit, then cocked her head and started to sing along.
We had a whole concert this aft, her and I.
what an absolute sweetheart.

She’s still trying to fly from perch to perch, and plummeting down to the floor of the cage. Hopefully he fluttering cushions her fall enough. But she’s right back up the ladder, quick as you like. Although I’ve set it up so she can walk along all the perches, she’d just rather jump and flutter her way around. Can’t blame her for that. She’s a bird after all...

Attachments

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
Bless her little heart! That is why I hate it when breeders and others clip their little one's wings.
I hope enough of Melody's flight feathers will come in with her next molt so at least she can get some lift to get from perch to perch.
Do you think you need to pad the bottom of her cage with paper towels for her crash landings?

She is a beauty and I'm glad she's settling in well with you. 💙

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes, I do have a layer of paper towels at the bottom. Might be a good idea to make it a bit thicker though. Thanks for that!

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
When I have had a clipped bird or a sick one where I was concerned about a fall, I lined the bottom of the cage with 1/2 foam padding and covered that with a couple layers of paper towels. You could also fold a bath towel to fit the cage bottom and cover that with paper towels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
She’s had much softer landings today, thank you for those tips!
Today our dear Melody has climbed up to the tippy top of her cage and has just been hanging out there for close to an hour now.
She’d be panicked if she were stuck, right?

Attachments

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
Melody is not stuck. She's just looking at things from a different perspective!
It's always weird to me when my budgies decide to do this but for some reason my female in particular likes to hang on the top of the side of the cage. LOL
When she puts one foot on the top bars of the cage and one foot on the side bars of the cage it is particularly odd and looks like she's doing the splits.

·
Registered
Blueberry, Angel, Bubbles, and Luffy! Rest In Peace Mango <3
10 Posts
Melody is exploring!! She’s such a cutie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Oh phew!
We were getting worried.
My son (12) went to sleep beside her cage tonight. Wanted to stay close by.
He loves her so much.
We’re off to get a few more perches tomorrow.
Hopefully that will help satisfy her urge to explore the upper reaches! :)

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
No worries - she is obviously happy as she is checking things out from all viewpoints now.
Does she have a swing? Budgies generally love swings so you might get her one or two if she doesn't have any yet.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts