Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

Super Moderator
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

This is such a heartwarming thread 馃挀 Melody is absolutely adorable and it sounds like you're taking great care of her.

As you look around the forums, feel free to ask any questions if you have them :)

Please keep updating us on Melody's progress, she's just so cute and clearly is already very much loved.

Cheers 馃憢

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Thanks so much!!
I have been so grateful for all the support and advice over our first two weeks as a budgie family! :)
She鈥檚 doing well.

We added a swing to her cage. She loves it!

She鈥檚 getting around much better now.
She climbs up the walls of the cage like Spider-Man. Fun to watch her go!

And a few days ago she started eating little clumps of millet from all of our fingers.
the kids are thrilled! (So am I)

I put a dish of zupreem natural pellets in her cage and she started to try to shell them.
Not sure if she actually ate any though, it sure looked like she was trying!
I also crushed some up into a powder and mixed it in with her seeds - I recall reading that was one method of introducing the taste.

All in all a great second week for us!!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Today our dear Melody decided it was a great idea to sit on our hands to eat. 馃槉
We picked up some of the fruity pellets yesterday, and I started by putting some in my hand and held them in front of her.
She was curious and hopped right on to check them out. Still keeps trying to shell them.
Then she took a turn sitting on my son and daughter鈥檚 hands as well.
So many surprised and happy humans over here. Her personality is starting to reveal itself.

I鈥檓 reading all the feeding posts, trying to get a sense of what I should be doing now.
Right now I have a dish of pellets in there.
I tried some wetting some to soften them, and offering them on my fingers but she seemed a bit freaked out by it - kept jumping back and shaking her head when it touched her beak!

I鈥檓 still not clear on how many seeds she should have per day. My understanding from the articles is that if she鈥檚 not eating the pellets yet, then about 2 Tbsp a day, does that sound right?
Then when she鈥檚 eating pellets, 2 tsp/day?
I don鈥檛 want to put too many in at a time because she still cuddles up in her dish and they get spoiled with droppings...

Edited to add:
She seems to be chewing up the fruity pellets now! Go Melody!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So today we saw Melody stick her head through the bars of her cage!!
I was shocked!
So I measured and sure enough the bars are 2cm apart!!!!! Too wide.
So now I have to go cage shopping.

Do I have a weird Vision cage?
Or are they all like that?!

Ugh. 馃う鈥嶁檧锔

Administrator
Oh, dear!

Do you know which model of the Hagan VIsion cage you have?

The company should have the distance between the bars listed for each of their cages listed on their website.

Super Moderator
Horizontal bars should be 1.6mm apart for cages in the US I don't know why it would be any different outside the US.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I鈥檓 not sure, as it was handed down to me from a friend who has a budgie.
I thought it was the M02 as it came with green accessories (I remember from when my friend bought it for her bird).
But it clearly has the wrong bar spacing and measurements!
It has to be the L12.
Ugh.
(I notice that the Canadian site doesn't list bar spacing...)

Now to find a replacement and convince my husband that we need to buy a new bird cage...
Life never fails to surprise!!

Super Moderator
Whatever you decide it is more important to get a cage with more horizontal space than vertical. I searched your Amazon site take a look here Vision Bird Cage Model L01, Large : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies scroll down about 1/3 of the page and it lists all the bar spacing for the various models. One of my cages is an L101 and I measured the spacing and it is 1/2 inch between the horizontal bars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Oh I see that now! Thanks so much!
Yes, I've been reading like mad.
Don't want to make a mistake!
She does love being up high, especially at night.
Climbs up to the top and hangs out on the side of the cage in the top corner.
She's just so adorable.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Those are so beautiful!!!!
But I could never get hubby on board for that price. :(
Maybe we can upgrade in a few years as his budgie love grows...

I think I'm leaning towards either the Prevue 1804. (It's the same size as the Vision that I have but deeper which is nice).
Or the Vision M02 that I thought we already had!! I like all the horizontal bars on the vision...She loves to climb. I'm thinking she'd have a harder time on vertical bars... It's just more expensive and shallower back to front...

oh what to do what to do...

Super Moderator
In the US the Prevue F040 can usually be found for around $120.00 USD, the CAD price is so much more even considering the conversion rate in money, maybe there is some sort of import fee on it.:confused:

Administrator
You'd be surprised at how easily budgies are able to climb the vertical bars. I have both the F040 and F050 cages for my birds.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I know from all my reading here on the forums :) that 14" is a little too shallow.
The vision cage says it's 16 but it's not really. It's 16" at the bottom where the "glass" is. It's only 13" in the upper portion.

Just found this one.
It's deeper than the others
Square top parakeet Cage
  • 25-Inch long, 21-inch wide, 29 1/2-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing
The Prevue Flight Cage
  • 26-inch long, 14-inch wide, 36-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing
I'm sorry for being so needy, but would you recommend one over the other?
I think around $150 Canadian is my budgetary (budgie-tary?) limit...

Administrator
I'd go with the first one myself. I actually had one like that for awhile and it was fine for one budgie.

I have/had cages with black bars as well as cages with white bars. I see you have a choice of back or white with that Square Top cage.
As a matter of personal preference, I like the black bars better than the white. It seems like the colors of the budgie stands out more with black bars.

Administrator
Of the three (the two you listed and the one Cody listed), I think you made the best choice.
I have had the white flight cage listed in Cody's last post and found it very difficult to clean.
I soon replaced it with a larger and different model cage. ;)

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.