Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently got two new spritely budgies and a day later i noticed that one of them is fluffed up for quite some time where as the other one looks completely normal and is perked up and attentive. It is cold here right now so are keeping them inside for the time being. She seems to have a little bit of a tail bob. She still sings her heart out along with the other during the day but fluffs up at night and goes to sleep long before the other. The other one stays up longer. Could it be that she is just less nervous than the other one and so goes straight to sleep. she is also a bit older than the other and if she is sick should i seperate them. she seems to have slightly more effort to breath than the other. they love each other so not sure about separation. There is no avian vet in Bermuda so would mean going abroad for one. please help. she seems unscared by loud noise in close proximity unlike the other. :( will get pic soon

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Welcome to talk budgies Sam.

Puffing up, sleeping more, and tail bob are all sign's of sickness. You need to get her to an avian vet for a check for possible respiratory infection, among other thing's. I would advise taking both of your new bird's in for smear's swab's and blood work...:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not possible

Welcome to talk budgies Sam.

Puffing up, sleeping more, and tail bob are all sign's of sickness. You need to get her to an avian vet for a check for possible respiratory infection, among other thing's. I would advise taking both of your new bird's in for smear's swab's and blood work...:)
there is no avian vet in bermuda and we are an island in the middle of nowhere

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
there is no avian vet in bermuda and we are an island in the middle of nowhere
How about a regular vet that has bird experience or will consult an avian vet ? Keep your bird warm and hydrated. To ease the breathing difficulty, run a hot shower in the bathroom and take the bird in the steamy enviroment. A hot steam tent over the cage with a pan of hot water or a vaporizer would be good. Adding a couple drop's of eucalyptus oil to the water will help too. I would suggest starting your bird's on an Apple Cider Vinegar regimen ASAP.

Read this...

http://talkbudgies.com/diet-nutrition/246897-apple-cider-vinegar.html?highlight=Apple+Cider+Vinegar

What do their droppings look like ?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,602 Posts
I am no expert but if there is no doctor anyplace for you maybe see if your pet store has some vitamin drops you can add to water. better nutrition may help? I hope what ever your budgie has will pass and get well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about a regular vet that has bird experience or will consult an avian vet ? Keep your bird warm and hydrated. To ease the breathing difficulty, run a hot shower in the bathroom and take the bird in the steamy enviroment. A hot steam tent over the cage with a pan of hot water or a vaporizer would be good. Adding a couple drop's of eucalyptus oil to the water will help too. I would suggest starting your bird's on an Apple Cider Vinegar regimen ASAP.

Read this...

http://talkbudgies.com/diet-nutrition/246897-apple-cider-vinegar.html?highlight=Apple+Cider+Vinegar

What do their droppings look like ?
I was thinking about this. On the first day they were very watery now they are more solid and look normal with a brownish black surrounded by a white

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am no expert but if there is no doctor anyplace for you maybe see if your pet store has some vitamin drops you can add to water. better nutrition may help? I hope what ever your budgie has will pass and get well.
we dont have many pet stores with birds in but will look. trying to get them on fruits and veg too as they were seed addicts:)

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,885 Posts
If there is no avian vet near you (have you checked "exotics vet"? sometimes they're labeled that way), then you might have to do your own research in tandem with a good regular vet. You can also check with local zoos or wildlife reserves to see if they have a vet on staff that could help you or know of one.

Please look up "budgie respiratory infection" on YouTube and evaluate your budgie's breathing and tail bob versus the ones that you see on videos. Also, you can listen to your budgie's chest to see if you hear a clicking sound (the heartbeat is very fast, but this would be something different).

Also familiarize yourself with the signs of budgie illness and see if yours is presenting these symptoms. An ill budgie will mask the illness until they can no longer do so, which means they are very sick by the time you get them.

You will also want to keep your budgie very warm by putting a heating pad or hot water bottle on half of the cage. They puff up to try to raise their body temperature when cold or ill. You can also run a hot shower and with a few drops of eucalyptus oil so that the steam helps her breathe easier. Keep her energy up by offering lots of millet and water, which you can even soak in Pedialyte to keep her hydrated. If her droppings are small or have a dark green stain around them, it means that she is becoming dehydrated and needs help quickly. Keeping a record of her weight can also help you determine how she's doing.

Lastly, it's normal for a budgie's droppings to become a bit runny when they are stressed (such as when they come to a new home or go to the vet). If they return to normal quickly, it should be dismissed as stress. If not, you will have to diagnose the problem.

You can also find out how to assemble a budgie first aid kit here on Talk Budgies so that you're prepared for the next problem.

I hope that these suggestions help you if your bird is ill. However, I can't stress enough the importance of research alternatives to avian vets in your area. It's the first and most important part of the budgie first aid kit. :)

Good luck and we hope that your budgie recovers quickly! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If there is no avian vet near you (have you checked "exotics vet"? sometimes they're labeled that way), then you might have to do your own research in tandem with a good regular vet. You can also check with local zoos or wildlife reserves to see if they have a vet on staff that could help you or know of one.

Please look up "budgie respiratory infection" on YouTube and evaluate your budgie's breathing and tail bob versus the ones that you see on videos. Also, you can listen to your budgie's chest to see if you hear a clicking sound (the heartbeat is very fast, but this would be something different).

Also familiarize yourself with the signs of budgie illness and see if yours is presenting these symptoms. An ill budgie will mask the illness until they can no longer do so, which means they are very sick by the time you get them.

You will also want to keep your budgie very warm by putting a heating pad or hot water bottle on half of the cage. They puff up to try to raise their body temperature when cold or ill. You can also run a hot shower and with a few drops of eucalyptus oil so that the steam helps her breathe easier. Keep her energy up by offering lots of millet and water, which you can even soak in Pedialyte to keep her hydrated. If her droppings are small or have a dark green stain around them, it means that she is becoming dehydrated and needs help quickly. Keeping a record of her weight can also help you determine how she's doing.

Lastly, it's normal for a budgie's droppings to become a bit runny when they are stressed (such as when they come to a new home or go to the vet). If they return to normal quickly, it should be dismissed as stress. If not, you will have to diagnose the problem.

You can also find out how to assemble a budgie first aid kit here on Talk Budgies so that you're prepared for the next problem.

I hope that these suggestions help you if your bird is ill. However, I can't stress enough the importance of research alternatives to avian vets in your area. It's the first and most important part of the budgie first aid kit. :)

Good luck and we hope that your budgie recovers quickly! :)
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
480 Posts
In cases of budgie respiratory infections and tail bobbing, broad spectrum antibiotics like Doxycycline and Tetracycline can be of significant help. Also put your budgie on electrolytes to help her regain strength and keep her hydrated at all times. And as the members have suggested, keep her warm in this period of distress.
Can you find a vet for dogs and cats around you? Perhaps they might have a general knowledge of birds. Some members have had help from regular vets for their birds as they couldn't find an avian vet.
Good Luck for your bird. Hope she recovers soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
recent observation

In cases of budgie respiratory infections and tail bobbing, broad spectrum antibiotics like Doxycycline and Tetracycline can be of significant help. Also put your budgie on electrolytes to help her regain strength and keep her hydrated at all times. And as the members have suggested, keep her warm in this period of distress.
Can you find a vet for dogs and cats around you? Perhaps they might have a general knowledge of birds. Some members have had help from regular vets for their birds as they couldn't find an avian vet.
Good Luck for your bird. Hope she recovers soon.
Just noticed she only fluffs up at night and when she is cold. her droppings alternate from being small to big but are mostly big. She enjoys having bird baths during the day.:budgie: :budge: it looks like it is just the respiratory illness

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Health Conserns

Hi,
Sorry to bother everyone but I think my budgie is sick but she only shows these signs during the evening or just before bed: Fluffed up, tail bob, and excessive sleeping. She goes to sleep about an hour before the other budgie. She does not respond to her surroundings like the other. They are fairly new and still not used to me yet. The other one gets kind of frightened when I start opening the cage to replace food and she just sits there and sleeps. She doesn't even flinch when the latch gets stuck sometimes and makes a loud noise. Help please.:S:budgie:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,335 Posts
The best advice we can really give you, is to take her to a vet. The reason this is the best advice, is because we're in no shape to tell you to do anything else.

Sounds like she might be thinking about laying eggs, but that's just an opinion, she may be egg bound for all we know. But since we can't examine her, and don't have access to the technology that the vet would, we really can't tell you what to do.

If she's worrying you, please get her to an avian vet. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The best advice we can really give you, is to take her to a vet. The reason this is the best advice, is because we're in no shape to tell you to do anything else.

Sounds like she might be thinking about laying eggs, but that's just an opinion, she may be egg bound for all we know. But since we can't examine her, and don't have access to the technology that the vet would, we really can't tell you what to do.

If she's worrying you, please get her to an avian vet. :)
Sorry forgot to add. There is no Avian vet in my country at all. She does seem to be pretty in love with my other budgie and they are very affectionate towards each other. So that might be the case. We will have to find out. I do have a large aviary with a nest box in that I am waiting to put them once a few storms pass over the next two days. Thanks for the help.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Sam, I have merged your two thread's because they cover the same topic.

Reactions: Jo Ann

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks just wanted to see if i could get any other opinions as they might not have seen the first one.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
I can understand your anxiety. How about posting pic's of your sick bird. Have you checked to see if there is a regular vet that could help ? How about the ACV for their water ? Probiotic's would also be a good thing to get started.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would suggest taking them to an vet (doesn't need to be avian vet) getting a poop smear or blood test to confirm infection in both birds and treating with broad spectrum antibiotics (as sunndyaz suggested and make sure it's taken directly not just in the water) for a minimum of 7 days.
You're right they are probably stressed from moving in with you but that might have spurred a suppressed illness.
Although given your info of her getting fluffed at night might mean it's a virus (she feels worse in the evenings than mornings much like when you have a cold) either way a vet check is a good idea and the tests don't require special knowledge just conformation of infection so any vet will do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would suggest taking them to an vet (doesn't need to be avian vet) getting a poop smear or blood test to confirm infection in both birds and treating with broad spectrum antibiotics (as sunndyaz suggested and make sure it's taken directly not just in the water) for a minimum of 7 days.
You're right they are probably stressed from moving in with you but that might have spurred a suppressed illness.
Although given your info of her getting fluffed at night might mean it's a virus (she feels worse in the evenings than mornings much like when you have a cold) either way a vet check is a good idea and the tests don't require special knowledge just conformation of infection so any vet will do.
I can understand your anxiety. How about posting pic's of your sick bird. Have you checked to see if there is a regular vet that could help ? How about the ACV for their water ? Probiotic's would also be a good thing to get started.
Thanks you guys will get on it. Will post pic tomorrow as they are sleeping now and dont want to disturb them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.