Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hoping everyone and their flocks are doing well. We just got a new and hopefully last store bought budgie and would like to know what the mutation is. Also I think it's a female, and Lonny's thinking male. Can someone settle that for us??? I'm pretty confident she's a female.

this one I had to zoom in on:

The really cool thing about her is that she's all grey. I have never seen one like this in person before. I think that's why Lonny surprised me with her. lol :speechless-smiley-0

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm rubbish at mutations so only taking my guess to see if I'm right when the "real" experts arrive, but she looks like a grey normal to me. Also looks like a girl from the photos, but not sure as they're not very clear :) She's beautiful!

Can I also say I love the name Lonny? If I'm not being too nosy, is it short for Lawrence by any chance?

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lawrence???

lol no it's not short for anything actually. I heard that the grey ones were pretty hard to find.

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,156 Posts
:wave: G'day

I believe the colour is anthracite, which sounds way cooler than 'grey' :p - and whilst it isn't *rare*, it's not as common as the greens, blues and yellows. I think it's a GORGEOUS budgie! Sorry I can't help with the rest of it .. (spangle, dilute, X factor etc)

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
:wave: G'day

I believe the colour is anthracite, which sounds way cooler than 'grey' :p - and whilst it isn't *rare*, it's not as common as the greens, blues and yellows. I think it's a GORGEOUS budgie! Sorry I can't help with the rest of it .. (spangle, dilute, X factor etc)
That's interesting. Are your anthracites lighter than the ones in the USA?
The anthracites where I am are nearly black and are pretty rare yet. I
know of a breeder about an hour away from me who specializes in them,
and they are something amazing!

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/featherz2005/media/Photos/Anthracite2.jpg.html

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm no good with mutations but could she possibly be a violet grey normal????

I only ask as the coloring in the 2nd pic.

·
Registered
347 Posts
She looks more like a mauve normal rather than a grey to me. Her cheek patches would be a lighter blue if she was a grey . She could also be a violet grey which would explain the dark cheek patches .

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm no good with mutations but could she possibly be a violet grey normal????

I only ask as the coloring in the 2nd pic.
I agree with the violet grey - I first thought it is a mauve, but the colour looks too "even" for a mauve. Female for sure.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Normal Mauve would be my guess as well :)Mauves have even color as well,in fact they should have after there first molt.The cheek patch is to dark for grey even violet grey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.