Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I always wanted a parakeet but never had one. This guy caught my eye at the pet store and so I went for it.

I know he's a male -- however I didn't know about aging birds before I bought him. I might have picked a younger one had I known some of the indicators, but, he's really great and quite tame. Hopped on my finger on Day 1. Stays on it --- not scared. Eating out of my hand, etc. And I don't think he was hand-raised at all. He's just a basic pet store budgie.

I think he's probably 6 - 8 months old? He has a white cap, and has a ring around his iris but it's not a bright ring -- it's a grey ring.

As for coloring -- I think he's a Colbalt Greywing? However his feet are pink. I'm confused because I thought Greywings have grey feet.

Would love everyone's thoughts on age & color.

Note re. pics: Some of them have bright / washed out lighting because I was trying to get his eyes so you could see.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the ever exciting world of budgie ownership! :)
You have certainly come to the right place as you will find all you need to know on budgie care here.
Since you are new to budgies, the information on the several articles and sticky threads located at the top of each section of the forums will be extremely useful as you become more acquainted with the species.
Be sure to pay extra attention to the Diet and Nutrition and the Taming and Bonding section of Talk Budgies.

Your new budgie boy is gorgeous! :love: I agree that he is a cobalt blue greywing budgie. As to his age, by taking all aspects into account, I'd say he is about 5 months old. The cere is currently in the process of maturing to the royal blue colour and this usually happens between 5 and a half to 6 months old.
The pink colour on his feet is very likely due to his genetic heritage, he can be split (carrying the gene in hidden form) for recessive pied.

Best of luck with your new little friend! ;)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information! All of it is really helpful... and I'll be sure to check out all of the sticky articles. I really want to make sure he is healthy & happy... and these forums are totally awesome for that. Thank you for the time to share all of this great information --- what a great community.

·
Administrator
56,535 Posts
Hi! :welcome: to Talk Budgies

Your little fellow is beautiful! :love:
Have you named him BlueBird?

Please take the time to read through all of the How To Guides, the FAQs and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

You'll find most of your basic questions about budgies and caring for them will have been answered after you've read through all of them.

Site Guidelines
How-To Guides
FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Budgie Articles
http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/295001-list-stickies.html
http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/333106-posting-forums.html
http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/295033-prepared-veterinary-care-expense.html
Avian First Aid
Why Quarantine?

http://talkbudgies.com/articles-general-budgie-info/227841-50-common-budgie-dangers-watch-out.html

http://talkbudgies.com/budgie-breeding/327881-heartfelt-plea-forum-members-new-old.html

http://talkbudgies.com/housing-budgies/24411-cage-sizes.html
http://talkbudgies.com/housing-budgies/31719-essentials-great-cage.html
http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/339826-resource-directory.html

When you upload pictures as thumbnail attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as PhotoBucket and follow the steps in these instructions:
http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/175818-how-post-pictures-photobucket.html

For gender and/or mutation help - Lighting and Angle DOES matter

By the way, all photos entered in any of our forum contests must be a full-size photo and not a thumbnail attachment so it's good to know how to upload them! ;)

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums!

What a handsome little boy you've got there :love: I agree with Aluz regarding his mutation :thumbsup:

Deborah has provided you with some great links to stay updated on the best of budgie care and practices. If you have any questions after reading through all of them, please do ask as we'd love to help!

We hope to see you and your precious little boy around here, and it's great to have you here, too :D

Cheers! :wave:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Deborah & StarlingWings! Thank you for all of the information and the gracious welcome. This site is absolutely wonderful. I've learned a lot... and it is helping me make sure I take good care of my new budgie.

I've actually not named him yet. (So no on calling him BlueBird. That just popped into my mind when I needed a handle.) I've only had him a week, and wanted to see more about his personality before I settle in to the name. : )

Thx again....

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a picture of "new guy." (Still no name yet... but getting there. :) He was kind of tired in this photo. Took a nap right after. He's a spectacular bird. Not afraid of my hands at all (and he wasn't hand fed)... and likes a little head scratching. He's very smart and polite, and makes a lot of really cute chirps.

He loves to watch Disco the talking parakeet on YouTube. He tries to talk back to Disco.

I'm in the market for a new cage. The cages at the local pet store were all awful and I knew it was a travel cage purchase.

In reading reviews.... I read an awful story on Amazon. Someone lost their budgie because he broke his foot in the space between the grate and the plastic tray. Somehow his foot got caught, he broke it and then the shock and anxiety killed him. Awful thing to read.

So I'm wondering if I should take out that grill / grate? It makes sense to prevent New Guy from walking in his droppings... but that broken leg thing is a horror story. In reviewing the pov's on grates... seems like a 50 / 50 split call on that. Some people use it, some people don't.

I looked at the Hagen Vision cage in Petco (medium sized) ... and that seems pretty cumbersome. Tempting but I found it sort of awkward taking it on and off. A tray seems easier.

I don't have the room for the Prevue flight cage a lot of people really like. The pretty big one on the stand. Would be great to have it some day when I have the space for it. At the moment, I actually don't even have space for a 30" stackable flight cage. Wish I did, and that may change. However for now, I need to cap width at about 26".

I read a comment in a review where someone wrote about a cage "that cage is too big for a single bird." I'm pretty certain that's not possible, correct? My understanding is that bigger is always better, even for one bird.

There are some aspects of this cage that I like: Flight Bird Cage Kit 91340 Prevue Pet Products

I like the idea of the "Clean Life" concept from Prevue.... however, I really wish this didn't have a pointy roof. I like that it's about 22" wide... and even though it has the unfortunate roof... it would still be an improvement from New Guy's temporary cage: http://www.wayfair.com/Prevue-Hendryx-Clean-Life-House-Bird-Cage-SP857-PVP1148.html?&PiID[]=6803640&source=hotdeals I like the useable area is about 22" wide by 22" tall. [ The point peak makes it technically 24" inches tall, but the triangle seems to be not very useable space for the bird. ]

(The woman at the pet store tried to get me to buy a cage with 5/8" spacing. I wasn't going to do that. That doesn't seem right at all. My understanding is that with budgies you really can't go wide that 1/2" bar spacing.)

Objectively --- it seems like there aren't that many great options for parakeets out there in the 18" wide - 26" inches wide range. I know 18 x 18 x 18 is a minimum for a single bird... but I really do want to go bigger and not settle on that.... [ i.e. something like this 18" wide cage: Clean Life Playtop Bird Cage SP851WW Prevue Pet Products ) ... I don't want to settle on 18" wide if I can avoid it, and unfortunately I can't go a full 30" inches wide right now. [ Or I would do a 30" x 18" tall flight cage. ] Seems like the market for cages in my desired size niche... not many choices. And, there's just so many bad ones out there unfortunately.

Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for reading. :) :cobalt:

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spangle?

I'm trying to learn about things such as Spangles and Opalines. (It's pretty confusing. I've read a lot of websites, still can't figure it out exactly.)

Does my 5-6 month old guy have any of these features? Spangle? Opaline? [ Not that I can figure out what that even is. : ) ]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Nope--he's a greywing, a form of a diluting mutation where the wing feathers, usually black, are faded to grey :thumbsup:

The difference between spangle and opaline is that in opaline budgies, the body colour (blue or green) is in the wing feathers, and the barring on the head and shoulders is very faded. My girl is opaline, you can see how her saddle (area between the wings) is not as barred as these normally barred budgies:

Here's my girl for comparison:

Spangles, meanwhile, have opposite colouring than normals. Normal budgies (as seen in the first photo) have black feathers bordered with white (or yellow in green budgies), wheras spangled budgies have yellow or white bordered by thin outlines of black, like this:

Credit to Google Images for providing pictures of spangle and normal budgies.

Now, another difference that you probably don't care about (ha) but is still interesting is the pattern of gene inheritance. The spangle mutation is dominant, meaning it only needs one factor to be visual, so if a bird is carrying the gene, it will show spangle.

Opaline, meanwhile, is different--it is a sex-linked mutation, which indicates the gene is expressed on the X chromosome that also determines gender. Because female birds (unlike humans) have an X and a Y, they only need one X carrying the opaline gene to show it visually. However, males, with XX chromosomes, only show it if both their X chromosomes carry the gene, so they can be split (only one X carries it and it is not visually expressed) or they can show it visually (both X chromosomes carry it).

So there's the general idea, I hope that helped :eek:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there StarlingWings.... that helped a ton! Thank you. So fascinating. It's all very interesting, and I love the details.

If I didn't live in Manhattan... I think I'd have a house with a wonderful aviary or a whole room dedicated to these birds and have at least 6. : )

In the meantime... I'm enjoying my one. I"m excited about the new cage arriving today. Much bigger. That's going to be fun.

I feel really lucky because my bird is just a basic pet store bird ... not hand fed.... but stepped up on my hand on day 1.... and continues to do so no problem. .... I've read on these forums that it can take quite some time to get the new untame birds used to human hands... takes patience. I consider myself very lucky that I didn't have to do that with my first bird. I could have.... but I'm glad I was lucky. I really want to train my bird to come when called. I think I might need a clicker for that.

Re. mutations.... on my bird.... notice how the "V" area on the back, below the head and between the wings is colbalt blue? Is this typical for the normal greywings? You may not be able to see it in the photos... but those feathers are colbalt and trimmed in white... and not grey (w/ white trim.)

Thx....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
You're very welcome :) I can't wait to see the new cage!

In "well marked" greywings, no, there is not supposed to be any suffusion of the body colour in the saddle feathers ;) However, it is pretty common to have some of the body colour in between the back feathers, especially in male budgies split to opaline. However, there's no way to tell if he were split to opaline unless he fathered chicks, but it's just a guess :D

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
What a lovely birdie! Congrats!

On the cage- Amazon has a huge selection and if you have Prime many are free shipping. they have some super nice ones that are on casters even :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow! he looks so much like my Charlie. Charlie is a Skyblue greywing, likely split with recessive pied (pink feet, purple cere) and possibly split for opaline (blue diffusion in the grey). Your little guy is so precious!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.