Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I got my lovely 8 week old budgie last Saturday and have been super excited about how quickly it (sorry but gender is undetermined atm!) has settled in to it's new home in my room. Unfortunately, despite dusting and vacuuming daily, I am starting to worry that the dust may be affecting my lungs. I have not experienced a dry cough so I am not worried about anything too serious, but I am experiencing more painful asthma symptoms than usual. Although it is not too bad at the moment, I fear it may get worse.

So, I want to ask about the feasibility of a few different solutions

As my budgie is so young and not yet friendly with me, I would love to be able to keep it in my room. If anyone out there could inform me about their experience with air purifiers I would be incredibly grateful!

Unfortunately I do not have much to spend at the moment so I would have to buy a cheaper one.

The next best solution would be to keep my budgie in a room outside while I am out or sleeping and then move it to my room while I can interact with it. However, I am wondering whether this movement might be too stressful for a young budgie.. Any thoughts?

Someone also suggested to me that the movement may effect the budgies health as it is warmer inside than out. However, we rarely use any heating or cooling so the change should be minor.. But ofc any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

My last resort is to keep the cage outside permanently and interact with my budgie in the aforementioned room.. Which is fine, I guess. But I'm sure many of you will understand why I want my lovely new friend to live with me!

Thank you so much for reading my very long post, I would be so appreciative of all advice and any additional tips!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about this new exposure you have. They may be able to give you some stronger asthma medications. Before you go, try measuring your peak flow (if you have a meter) when you are near your budgie and having symptoms and when you are away from you budgie with no symptoms to see if there is a difference. Do you take an allergy medicine? That might help as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much!

This is definitely the smartest option if nothing works, but I am hoping to find a solution which allows me to live comfortably without too much medication

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Randy, that picture is amazing. o.o

I know that, from experience, a purifier has really helped matters here. (We've got two members of the household who are very allergic.) Both members can easily handle Kosh as well as spend great amounts of time in Kosh's room.

It hasn't eliminated the symptoms completely, but it's taken enough of the edge off that having a pet has become feasible for my family. :)

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
That is incredible. Do you know the brand/model?
Thank you so much - if I can find one for around the same price that would be perfect!!
This is the one I have....I also have the same brand, a bigger one for our bedroom as my wife is allergic to just about everything under the sun. Of course you probably already know that carpeting doesn't help matter's being the dirt, dander, pollen trap it is. There are a ton of air purifier's out there, and my only advice would be to get one that uses HEPA. Also, ION exchanging unit's are not good to use around the bird's from thing's I have heard people say. You don't need anything bigger than what I have if you keep it fairly near to the area they are caged/spend all their time in...:)

Shop Idylis 3-Speed 155 Sq.-ft Hepa Filter Air Purifier at Lowes.com

·
Member of the Month January 2015
403 Posts
I've also noticed a significant difference since adding a true HEPA air filter. I truly think it will work for you! Just a quick note, though, you will need to remember to budget for replacement filters as recommended by the manufacturer, because they do lose their effectiveness over time. (I'm sure your asthma will be a good indicator of when it's time for a new one!) And if you have a family member who's willing to vacuum/clean the first-level filter for you monthly, that will help. Since you have only the one budgie, your filter won't be as dramatic as Randy's with his multiple birds (and notoriously bird-dusty 'tiel in the mix), but staying on top of the maintenance does make a difference.

I hope the filter allows you to keep your budgie with you in your room full time! Also, welcome to the forum! (And we'd love to see pics of your new little guy or girl — and may be able to tell you which.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh thank you!!

Thank you so much! I will have to look into how much the filters cost for the purifier that Im considering.. Can't seem to find that information anywhere!

I will put up some pictures soon, I still haven't been able to get one where you can really see the colour of her cere, my room has very poor lighting -.-

This forum is amazing, I spent about 2 hours last night reading through old posts to get as much information as I can. I feel so relieved knowing that there are all these wonderful people available for advice!!!

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forums! :wave:

I don't have asthma but I do have extreme allergies.
I have five of my seven birds housed in my bedroom and my two shelties also sleep with me. ;)

I have a HEPA Air Purifier which helps a great deal.

The one I have is
Honeywell 50250

http://hepa-air-purifier.org/47/honeywell-50250-hepa-air-purifier-review/

Honeywell 50250N Round Air Purifier Review | Best Air Purifier

You might also consider using a warm mist humidifier in the room unless that is something your doctor does not recommend due to your asthma. The moisture makes dust/pollen particles heavier so they fall to the floor rather than circulating around in the air. ;)

I clean my cages at least once daily (usually twice) and vacuum the room twice a day. You might consider wearing a mask when you clean the cage and vacuum as an added precaution.

Good luck - I hope you will be successful in keeping your budgie in your room with no compromise to your health.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.