Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning out the bird cages at work (PetSmart) last Wednesday, I found the sweetest little budgie ever. it did not mind being picked up and sat on my hand while all of the other birds flew around like crazy. i immediately knew i needed to bring the baby home with me, and took him to the back to hold for myself until the day after Christmas, to give myself time to clean out my old cockateil cage. I brought him home the day after Christmas (4 days ago) and waited until yesterday to handle him at all. he acted exactly like at the store, allowing me to pick him up and hold him on my hand and even on my shoulder for a bit (about 30 min) before taking off and flying around the room. once he landed he let me lift him right back up and sat with me a little longer before going back into his cage. he has been eating well and as far as i can see, drinking well also. he has been puffed up for most of the time he has been home and has been sneezing some, which is starting to concern me. the room he is in tends to get cold, so i am working on getting it to a higher stable temp. I have never seen one this calm come through our store and it makes me worry that he was sent to us too young, (something our distributors are notorious for) and does not yet fear unknown objects, or that he is sick and just does not want to put in the effort to avoid handling. He has been communicating with the Quaker we have in the other room, but does not seem to climb or play. Do you all think he is just adjusting or should i look into taking him to the vet?

·
Member of the Month June 2015
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the TB community :)

Congratulations on your new baby budgie he sounds like such a little sweetheart :)

I would definitely bring the little fellow to an avian vet to get checked out - too often sickness in birds is mistaken or masked by unusual friendliness.

It also concerns me about the distributors / breeders but that's a different conversation.

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
Hello and :welcome: to Talk Budgies!
Congratulations on adopting your new baby budgie! He sounds like a sweetheart and I think he does have a calmer disposition.

However, I absolutely agree with Niamh and I think that his extra friendliness and submissiveness is trying to tell you something, and the sneezing and fluffiness doesn't bode well, either.

I agree you should take him in to an Avian vet ;)

I hope your little fellow is just fine--keep us updated on his condition and we'd love to meet him sometime!
Also, it's great to have you on the forums and we hope to see you around :)
If you read all the posts at the top of each sub forum, you'll be well prepared to take care of your little bird, and remember to ask questions if you can't find something.

Cheers! :wave:

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts
Hi and :welcome: to Talk Budgies!

I hope Charlie will be fine and I agree with Niamh and Star that it is very important for you to have him examined by an Avian Vet at this time.

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.

When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment. This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recover than it would have if you
seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.

Having your new budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future. Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Please do provide us with an update in this thread after taking Charlie in for an exam, diagnosis and possible treatment plan. :hug:

To familiarize yourself with the forums, please take the time to read through all of the How To Guides, the FAQs and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
You'll find most of your basic questions are answered after you've read through all of them.
TalkBudgies.com Rules and Guidelines
How-To Guides - Talk Budgies Forums
Frequently Asked Questions: Talk Budgies Forums - FAQ
List of Stickies - Talk Budgies Forums

http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/295033-prepared-veterinary-care-expense.html
http://talkbudgies.com/emergency-room/225585-my-birdy-first-aid-kit.html
http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/102714-quarantine-really-important.html
http://talkbudgies.com/articles-general-budgie-info/227841-50-common-budgie-dangers-watch-out.html

http://talkbudgies.com/housing-budgies/24411-cage-sizes.html
Essentials to a Great Cage-Talk Budgies Forums

Helpful Links - Talk Budgies Forums
Budgie Articles Forum - Talk Budgies Forums

When you upload pictures as thumbnail attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as PhotoBucket and follow the steps in these instructions:
http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/175818-how-post-pictures-photobucket.html

Examples Of Pictures To Post And Not Post - Talk Budgies Forums
http://talkbudgies.com/mutations-ge...king-mutation-gender-identification-help.html

By the way, all photos entered in any of our forum contests must be a full-size photo and not a thumbnail attachment so it's good to know how to upload them! ;)

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the vet i would be taking him will not be open until Saturday, but he seems to be improving. he is exploring his cage a little more, chirping more, and appears to be less fluffed. i have heard him sneeze a couple more times, and noticed a small amount of staining above his nose, but after looking at pictures i took of him the last Wednesday, it seems like the stains have not worsened any. he is still sweet and was even preening while i was holding him. iv gotten the temperature up a few degrees, and I'm hoping that the cold air was the main source of the problem. any ideas on things i can do/give him in the mean time?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
Since he's not looking worse at all, I think you should just watch his appetite and droppings and monitor them closely ;)

When you take him to the vet, he'll get a regular exam along with assurance that he does or doesn't have an illness, and either way it's good to be sure :)

What a cutie :love:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry if this is high jacking the thread. I felt no need to post the same exact question ,right?

I just brought home a sweet little girl on Saturday from the Flea market. I took her the Avian vet first thing this morning because of her behaving the same way (but no sneezing) and she likes to sleep a LOT. She will fly down off me though (I say fly, but her wings were clipped prior to me buying her) ,and that's usually when I know she needs to eat. She was sitting on my shoulder just now for the longest time. She flew down on my keyboard and started walking on the table toward her cage. So I brought her to it, and she started eating. She is still eating as I type. When she is finished eating, she will climb out of the cage and look bored, so I will let her step up on my finger and put her back on my shoulder. Or carry her around the house.
The Dr. said he did not think she was sick, and that I just got lucky with her. So is this something that does occasionally happen with non-hand raised birds (assuming no illness is involved) ?
Picture of her napping on top my monitor/tv while I work on computer.
https://flic.kr/p/24081333181
She fell asleep in my hair my last night too.

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts
Sorry if this is high jacking the thread. I felt no need to post the same exact question ,right?

I just brought home a sweet little girl on Saturday from the Flea market. I took her the Avian vet first thing this morning because of her behaving the same way (but no sneezing) and she likes to sleep a LOT. She will fly down off me though (I say fly, but her wings were clipped prior to me buying her) ,and that's usually when I know she needs to eat. She was sitting on my shoulder just now for the longest time. She flew down on my keyboard and started walking on the table toward her cage. So I brought her to it, and she started eating. She is still eating as I type. When she is finished eating, she will climb out of the cage and look bored, so I will let her step up on my finger and put her back on my shoulder. Or carry her around the house.
The Dr. said he did not think she was sick, and that I just got lucky with her. So is this something that does occasionally happen with non-hand raised birds (assuming no illness is involved) ?
I'm glad to hear you had your budgie checked out by an Avian Vet -- that is always important. :thumbsup:

Some people do get extremely lucky with a very affectionate budgie.
It isn't the norm though, so consider yourself to be quite fortunate. :D

I'm asking that all subsequent posters on the thread address only the Original Poster's question and issues.
Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts

My Rio was not hand raised/tame and was like your budgie...she settled in quickly and was hanging out with me on day two of being home. She would preen my face but now that she's come into condition for the first time I don't let her near my face because preening has become nipping.....although she's still sweet, just a hormonal girl! :)

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts
:focus:

the vet i would be taking him will not be open until Saturday, but he seems to be improving. he is exploring his cage a little more, chirping more, and appears to be less fluffed. i have heard him sneeze a couple more times, and noticed a small amount of staining above his nose, but after looking at pictures i took of him the last Wednesday, it seems like the stains have not worsened any. he is still sweet and was even preening while i was holding him. iv gotten the temperature up a few degrees, and I'm hoping that the cold air was the main source of the problem. any ideas on things i can do/give him in the mean time?
I'm very glad to hear your little fellow's condition has not worsened. Having the Avian Vet examine him will be the best thing in the long run. As mentioned previously, Having your new budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future. Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Please do take the time to read the information in the links provided. This will help you ensure you are following the best practices for your baby's health and well-being.

I'll be watching this thread for updates from you regarding Charlie's condition. :hug:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Charlie has gotten a clean bill of health! He has also flourished in the past few days. He plays with his toys like crazy, chirps all the time, and I have found that he loves to play underneath his newspaper (is this normal?) I was sick myself yesterday and he spent the entire time right at the front of his cage chirping at me. He is still the sweetest little guy and loves attention. Iv been trying to give him at least 2 hours to fly around and explore (supervised of course) every day, which he seems to enjoy, but he has discovered my fish tank, and tries to attack my betta through the glass.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Charlie has gotten a clean bill of health! He has also flourished in the past few days. He plays with his toys like crazy, chirps all the time, and I have found that he loves to play underneath his newspaper (is this normal?) I was sick myself yesterday and he spent the entire time right at the front of his cage chirping at me. He is still the sweetest little guy and loves attention. Iv been trying to give him at least 2 hours to fly around and explore (supervised of course) every day, which he seems to enjoy, but he has discovered my fish tank, and tries to attack my betta through the glass.
My female loves to rip up her newspaper on the bottom of the cage.....it usually looks like a tornado hit.....so I would say yes, its normal that he likes to play under the paper! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.