Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I got Peter 3 weeks ago the day he was old enough to leave the pet shop. They called them tame baby budgies. He certainly is not tame. I started by talking to him every time I went in the room. Now he eats millet from his perch when I hold it out. If I gently move it away he will not move his feet along the perch or jump to another perch to get it. Then he starts trying to get under or behind his coconut shell as if he's distressed.
He got out of his cage ( just flew past me ) and sat on the curtain rail. I eventually got him in by gently putting a perch under his chest and he stepped on to it.
Now I really don't know what to do to get him tame. If I put my finger near him he flies to another perch. Any idea's please?

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
Hi and Welcome to Talk Budgies!!

It takes a great deal of time and patience to help your budgie learn to trust you. You have to work at Peter’s pace. Always move slowly and talk calmly and reassuringly to him when you work with him. Hold some seed in the palm of your hand and slowly put your hand in the cage near Peter. Hold your hand perfectly still. Allow him to decide when he’s ready to explore yourhand and try some seed.
when you work on stepping up, some Budgies prefer to step up on the back of your hand rather than on your finger.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES

List of Stickies

Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!

FAQ

Articles

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense

Avian First Aid

Quarantine IS Necessary!

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old

Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Cage sizes.

Essentials to a Great Cage

Resource Directory

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and Welcome to Talk Budgies!!

It takes a great deal of time and patience to help your budgie learn to trust you. You have to work at Peter’s pace. Always move slowly and talk calmly and reassuringly to him when you work with him. Hold some seed in the palm of your hand and slowly put your hand in the cage near Peter. Hold your hand perfectly still. Allow him to decide when he’s ready to explore yourhand and try some seed.
when you work on stepping up, some Budgies prefer to step up on the back of your hand rather than on your finger.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES

List of Stickies

Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!

FAQ

Articles

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense

Avian First Aid

Quarantine IS Necessary!

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old

Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Cage sizes.

Essentials to a Great Cage

Resource Directory

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!
Thank you so much.
It turns out that Peter is a girl so I've changed her name to Poppy. I had success today after 3 weeks. She actually came to the perch nearest to my hand (when I was holding the millet) and started to eat. She even touched my finger. So delighted.

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
How did you determine that Petter (Poppy) is a girl? Can you post please a picture of Poopy's cere taken in natural light (no flash and no direct sunlight)..
You are making great progress with your taming and bonding process!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you determine that Petter (Poppy) is a girl? Can you post please a picture of Poopy's cere taken in natural light (no flash and no direct sunlight)..
You are making great progress with your taming and bonding process!

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums! 👋

You've been given great advice above! Congratulations on your new budgie and you've come to the best possible place to learn even more about the best possible care for your little one. It would be great to see a photo if you have one! :geek:

If you have any questions after reading through everything provided above or anything on the rest of the forums, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

Hope to see you around! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Julie! Welcome to the site, Glad to have you and Peter. Be patient. In time, your gain his/her trust. Just continue tending to his/her needs and you'll be best buddies soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. Making great progress, she seems to like me. The name has changed from Peter or Poppy. Apparently its a girl. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
How did you figure out it's a girl? We can always confirm in case someone at the pet store/etc told you; they often don't know well how to tell, especially if it's a young budgie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.