Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 5 year old female budgie, who I am getting a new friend for next week. I have ordered a cage big enough for 2 birds, however obviously I need to quarantine the first one and introduce them slowly after that. I was wondering, should I keep my current budgie in her cage, or help get her used to change by putting her in the bigger cage? I am worried the new budgie might feel a bit lost in such a big cage by herself. Or maybe not?
Let me know people's thoughts! My budgie at the moment is tame but skitish and doesn't like change too much, but I know it would be best for her to get her a friend for the long run.

Thank you!

This is the new cage - http://uk.hagen.com/Bird/Housing/Hybrid-Cages/83255
This is my current budgies cage - http://uk.hagen.com/Bird/Housing/Hybrid-Cages/83250

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
You can move your budgie to the new ****** cage no problem. But after quarantine and they have met a few times and you're ready to have them in one cage, you need to rearrange the cage so your older budgie doesn't get territorial.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does everyone think of my new budgie's cage layout, he is still very young and I am picking him up tomorrow. I wanted him to have room to flap his wings as well as hop from perches to perches in case.

I have cuttlebone and mineral block to the right, a pink edible mineral perch shaped as a pepper to the right, and another mineral perch on the top left. They all supposedly do different things so thought it would be good for him. I have a hammock toy in the top left which my other budgie loves, with another toy attached to the bottom of it, and a natural kabob toy on the right.

I have a few rope perches as they are very comfy and my current budgie loves sitting on the them.

Attachments

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
Very nice! :)

After quarantine is over and the two budgies are housed together, will they have out-of-cage time every day to fly around and stretch their wings?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes of course, Joey is sitting on my shoulder right now :) and I would probabaly take out a few perches/toys to provide more space in the cage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here he is! He's so friendly and loves to nibble my fingernails and is so chirpy :) I'm buying some mite drop on tomorrow as he seems to keep scratching his face and rubbing it on perches - any other suggestions of what this could be? I thought I would give it to him in case, as I don't want him to still have them in a months time and pass it onto my other budgie.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
What a sweet little boy!

He doesn't have mites and looks perfectly healthy, so there's no need to give him Ivermectin.

Budgies may sometimes rub their beaks and faces on perches if they have a hard to reach itch or food on their face :eek:

Having in quarantine will allow you to be sure that he won't pass on anything to your budgies when they are introduced; if he did have mites it would be very obvious before quarantine was over.

He looks like a happy, healthy little boy!

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
Your new baby is adorable.

Please ensure you trim the fringe on that rope toy down to no more than 1/2" long for safety's sake.
Budgies can easily strangle themselves in the threads or get their foot/leg tangled and severely injure themselves. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.