Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first pair of budgies about a week ago. I'm not 100% sure on their genders or mutations,
but I hope i have 1 male and one female so I can breed them when they get old enough.
If it turns out i have 2 of the same sex then I'll need to get 2 of the opposite sex and have two pairs :p

The first pic is snowy, The pet store owner said she thought it to be female, but it's hard to tell with young birds.

My guess on mutations is: cobalt, recessive pied and, opaline?

next we have sky.
My guess here is sky blue normal. no clue on splits though.

Snowys' short tail is due to an incident moving them to their new big cage.
When i got them all the pet sore had was a tiny cage barely big enough for one bird.
So I bought one online for them which gives them room to fly a bit.
Long story short, snowy got away while i was moving them to the new cage,
and my daughter caught him/her by the tail and the long feathers pulled right out.
Hopefully they come back with the first molt. Snowy can still fly ok without them, so I'm not too worried.

Any input on what you think about their gender's or genes would be greatly appreciated,
so I know if I need to get 2 more birds soon to have them all be around the same age.

Thanks.

P.S. They are both pretty quiet, but i have heard Sky singing a little bit.
and Snowy bit me pretty hard when i got him/her into the new cage, but given the situation, I would have bit me too.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hard to tell from pic but I think they are both males. Time will only tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I know It's hard to tell much from the pics, I really need a new camera. I'm sure it will be far more obvious after they molt. I tried getting some better pics but without the flash, they were even blurrier. This camera doesn't work well in low light. Low light meaning later afternoon with the curtains wide open. when i get a chance i'll have to pick up a better one.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Ok,we'll be waiting! I think your correct about the mutations,just need to be sure!;)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Snowy is an opaline recessive pied cobalt
Sky is a normal sky blue

The pictures are not clear enough to be sure about the sex but Snowy looks female and Sky looks male

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Nev,

That's what I was hoping to hear. When i get my hands on a better camera
I'll try to get some better pics of them. Just curious, is it right after the first molt when the cere takes on the adult color it will be or does that come later?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Some hens will develop a brown cere at about 3 months old and others will will take 12 months or more.
Males will usually get a muture blue cere between 2 and 6 months

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Snowy is an opaline recessive pied cobalt
Sky is a normal sky blue

The pictures are not clear enough to be sure about the sex but Snowy looks female and Sky looks male
Thanks Nev,

That's what I was hoping to hear. When i get my hands on a better camera
I'll try to get some better pics of them. Just curious, is it right after the first molt when the cere takes on the adult color it will be or does that come later?
FWIW, I agree with Nev's guesses regarding genders. If Snowy (recessive pied) is female, her cere will be very pale whitish-blue, tan or crusty brown. If male, his cere will turn purply pink. If Sky (normal) is male, his cere will turn a deep blue; if female, then very pale blue, tan or crusty brown.

Congrats for your lovely pair and kudos for buying them a larger cage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,

I felt i needed to, the pet store doesn't seem to know what the birds need, so I'm glad i found you guys here. At the pet store all of the cages they had were 18"X18"X22" and they said it was fine for two budgies, as if. That would be like me and a buddy living together a 10'X10' room, I shudder to think. so i found a great deal on a 26" X 31"X42" cage which is much better.

The pet store owner told me that she had never heard of pelleted parakeet food, and that the seed she sells is all they need. I think if i would have just taken what she said and did no research at all, my poor budgies would have a sad life indeed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's an update, judging form behavior I'm almost positive sky is a boy now,
he's been feeding snowy quite a bit this morning. And I've never seen snowy feed him. That is a male behavior isn't it, feeding females?

·
Registered
596 Posts
mmmm, not necessarily. I was just watching my gang and two females, who I KNOW are females, were jest feeding each other and head-bobbing; some say those are male traits.

I think a variety of fresh food, vegetables, grains and greens are a better option to pellets. As long as you feed really healthy stuff I think they can live without pellets. but that is my personal opinion.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Here's an update, judging form behavior I'm almost positive sky is a boy now,
he's been feeding snowy quite a bit this morning. And I've never seen snowy feed him. That is a male behavior isn't it, feeding females?
He's courting her. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.