Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still dont know if i am using the forum in the right way so please be gentle with my silly self and help me do it the right way!! Every bit of help is appreciated!
So i am doing a research about cages and i am a bit confused about dimensions and sizes but also about the paint used on this cages.
I curently have a cage that is made from galvanized steel. That means that the steel itself is protected from rust.. But this cage is very old and more than 40 years old and now i can see that the galvanization has sarted wearing off and some parts might have some kind of rust which definetly is not good for the birds. So now i am searching to buy a new one and bigger one. But most cages i find here in my country are coated with paint. I talked to a breeder about the cage and he told me that there is no problem with a painted cage but when i asked what happens if some chip of the paint is bitten from my birds and if that is gonna be toxic and he couldnt answer me very clear. Then i asked the factory that makes this cages about the paint they use and the woman on the phone couldnt answer me too. She said that she will contact the head manager for more information but she never called back. So what your opinion about cages with paint on them? Should i trust a cage like this or continue searching for one similar like the one i have.

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
Galvanized metal is very dangerous because the process of galvanizing coats the metal with zinc which is toxic and if ingested can cause metal poisoning, rust is also bad. To my knowledge the paint on new bird cages, at least the ones sold in the US, are made by using a powder coating paint process. This is not the same as applying paint with a brush, in powder coating the paint is a powder and applied electrostatically and then cured, and does not have a solvent, it is a much harder surface than regular paint and does not chip as easily as traditional liquid paint, so you can get a cage that is made using a powder coating process and dispose of your old cage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Galvanized metal is very dangerous because the process of galvanizing coats the metal with zinc which is toxic and if ingested can cause metal poisoning, rust is also bad. To my knowledge the paint on new bird cages, at least the ones sold in the US, are made by using a powder coating paint process. This is not the same as applying paint with a brush, in powder coating the paint is a powder and applied electrostatically and then cured, and does not have a solvent, it is a much harder surface than regular paint and does not chip as easily as traditional liquid paint, so you can get a cage that is made using a powder coating process and dispose of your old cage.
Yes, thats what i asked the lady on the phone but she couldnt tell me. I just wanted to be sure that the cages they sell have this kind of paint and nothing to do with solvents and chemicals!! I believe this week i am going to have the new cage!! I found one that i liked a lot and it is big but its kinda expensive and i was thinking that if any chip of paint goes off then i will have to through away the whole cage. But it is what it is lol!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what i did and the lady on the phone told me she will talk to the manager and call me back but she never did. That was 2 days ago. I found an other manufacturer though and i am going to call in a bit!! I am just writting down what i need to ask them!

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
Can you source and order the cage from Amazon, there is usually detailed info about the products on the site and maybe you can get your questions answered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well yes if i see that i cant find anything suitable then Amazon it is. I just wanted to give some money to local manufacturers from my country but when they dont help themselves by offering the needed information then why should i care and spent my money on them? I attach the cage i am interested in and i am going to call them now.
Bird White Vertebrate Pet supply Mammal

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
What are the dimensions of the cage you are considering?
For four budgies, you need a cage that is a minimum of:
34" Long x18" Wide x 25" High (86cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 63.5 cm High
Volume = 15,300 cubic inches (24580.6 cubic centimeters)

You need to ensure the spacing between the bars is no more than 1.27 cm.
Larger than that puts your budgies at risk..

Generally, the paint used on cages sold by Amazon is what is called a "powder coating".
Powder-coated bird cages are usually safe, as long as the coating has no chips or damage that exposes the underlying galvanized wire, which contains zinc. It is very hard for a parrot to get the powder coating off - especially a parrot as small as a budgie.
However, if the paint starts chipping off after several years, then the cage needs to be replaced or stripped down and repainted with budgie safe paint.

Here are my suggestions:

I have cages that are very similar to the two linked below.

Pawhut 54" Extra Large Portable Rolling Iron Aviary Flight Bird Cage
32“ L x 21" W x 48" H (81.28 cm Long x 53.34 cm W x 121.cm High) Interior Cage Dimensions.
Including the stand, the unit would be 54" high (137.16 cm) Wire spacing is 1.27 cm

Egardenkart 132cm Wrought Iron Standing Large Flight Bird Cage
31-Inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide, 40-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing
78.74 cm Long x 52.07 cm Wide x 101.6 cm High -- Interior Cage Dimensions
With the stand the unit would be 53" High (134.62 cm) Wire spacing is 1.27 cm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are the dimensions of the cage you are considering?
For four budgies, you need a cage that is a minimum of:
34" Long x18" Wide x 25" High (86cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 63.5 cm High
Volume = 15,300 cubic inches (24580.6 cubic centimeters)

You need to ensure the spacing between the bars is no more than 1.27 cm.
Larger than that puts your budgies at risk..

Generally, the paint used on cages sold by Amazon is what is called a "powder coating".
Powder-coated bird cages are usually safe, as long as the coating has no chips or damage that exposes the underlying galvanized wire, which contains zinc. It is very hard for a parrot to get the powder coating off - especially a parrot as small as a budgie.
However, if the paint starts chipping off after several years, then the cage needs to be replaced or stripped down and repainted with budgie safe paint.

Here are my suggestions:

I have cages that are very similar to the two linked below.

Pawhut 54" Extra Large Portable Rolling Iron Aviary Flight Bird Cage
32“ L x 21" W x 48" H (81.28 cm Long x 53.34 cm W x 121.cm High) Interior Cage Dimensions.
Including the stand, the unit would be 54" high (137.16 cm) Wire spacing is 1.27 cm

Egardenkart 132cm Wrought Iron Standing Large Flight Bird Cage
31-Inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide, 40-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing
78.74 cm Long x 52.07 cm Wide x 101.6 cm High -- Interior Cage Dimensions
With the stand the unit would be 53" High (134.62 cm) Wire spacing is 1.27 cm
The cage i am interested has the following dimensions : 85cm long, 49cm wide and 62 height and its volume is similar to the one you mentioned (25823cc) for 4 budgies. But i am indeed looking for a cage with a bigger height than this like the one you posted on the link (Egardenkart). I am considering this one now and it says it can be shipped to my country in 5-8 days!!! So better not to lose time!!!!lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts