Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I kinda want to get Buddy a new, larger cage. I’m also concerned about the one he’s in because it’s rusted in spots, paint peeled off in places, and I have no idea who the manufacturer is and if it’s nontoxic.

The problem is he is not hand tame and easily startled. He doesn’t like change. Any suggestions for a safe, nontoxic flight cage? And how to get him into it without stressing him out?

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Try this one, I have 4 of these,https://www.chewy.com/prevue-pet-pr...MIhrTK59Tg5gIV7ffjBx2L4Qa8EAQYASABEgK9KfD_BwE
whatever cage you get accessorize it and put it next to his current cage and let him get used to seeing it, after a bit you may be able to put some millet in the new cage and he might go in on his own.
Regarding his recent illness, could he have been chewing on the rusty paint worn parts of his cage and ingested some of the rust and paint?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cody, that’s one I’ve been looking at. I’d really like to get him something with horizontal bars on the side though - he likes to climb up on them. I’d been wondering about the rust and paint too, which is why I’m thinking of a new cage. He is doing much better though - is ingesting rust or paint something they can recover from like he has? Do the symptoms line up (fluffed up, eyes closed, not eating, soft bright green droppings)? I will ask the vet but I still don’t want him to have a blood test or X-ray unless absolutely necessary.

Also, he loves his little bell. How can I find out whether it’s made of zinc? Is nickel plated safe? I know stainless steel would be best.

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Take a look at the article in this link which talks about metal poisoning https://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Lead-and-Zinc-Toxicoses-in-Pet-Birds.pdf To find out what his bell is made of you would need to contact the manufacturer. I am not aware of many cages sold in the US suitable for budgies that have horizontal bars. There is the Hagen vision cage model L101, https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Bird-...+vision+cage+L101&qid=1577831602&sr=8-2-fkmr0 it is quite a bit more expensive than the Prevue F040 and not as big.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
It is very important to move your budgie to a rust-free cage as soon as possible.
Heavy Metal Poisoning is very serious.

I wouldn't be concerned about having horizontal bars on the cage, myself. I have one budgie that is unable to fly and I have her in a Prevue Hendryx F050 and she climbs the vertical bars just fine with no issues whatsoever. She climbs all around the cage and from top to bottom throughout the day.

If you purchase a Prevue Hendryx F040 or F050 please be sure you secure the spring-loaded side doors for safety.

Clips for Spring Load Side Door Security

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.