Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm 15 years late to this forum and own two budgies of different sexes who led me to here.

I was going to post the next paragraph on the category for health but I might as well do it here now.

My female budgie has recently laid 2 eggs and the state of her health has been deteriorating ever since.
  • Her right eye has shut down and looks a bit bloated without crust, puss or change of color in the area.
  • She has been unusually shaking but not too much, just enough to notice after starring still for more than 3s.
  • She chops the fresh food I give her and tosses it away, only seems to eat seeds which is unlikely of her.
I don't want to self diagnose and treat but he vet is not currently available because Eid is approaching.
I consulted with a bird seller who gave me an unmarked pill to melt in the water and feed her but I'm not too fan of the idea. He also adviced me to purify her stomach with garlic infused water... Not too fan of that either.

Does anyone (preferably experienced owners and doctors) have any idea what it might be? What to do and how to treat it until vets are back in business?

·
Administrator
58,925 Posts
Please remove the budgie eggs and dispose of them if you have not already done so.
Remove any nest box or other items in the cage which could be used as a nesting spot.

Do everything necessary to discourage further breeding.
The female budgie needs to be separated from the male.
Limit her daylight hours to 8 hours per day.

What are you feeding this budgie?
She needs to be on a very nutritious diet and needs to be receiving calcium supplements to help replenish what her body has lost by laying eggs.

She should be kept warm and given either Guardian Angel or Pedialyte.
If you don't have any, you can make your own using the recipe in this link:

Guardian Angel//Pedialyte//Pedialyte Recipe

I would not give her any unmarked pill since you don't know what the medication is nor would I use garlic infused water.

Can you post a picture of her eye?
Does she allow you to handle her? If so, gently rinse her eye out with a sterile saline solution you can purchase at a pharmacy.

It is my understanding that Eid doesn't begin until July 17th and runs through July 22nd.
Are there no Avian Veterinarians or Exotic Pet Veterinarians near you that are open between now and the 17th?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please remove the budgie eggs and dispose of them if you have not already done so.
Remove any nest box or other items in the cage which could be used as a nesting spot.

Do everything necessary to discourage further breeding.
The female budgie needs to be separated from the male.
Limit her daylight hours to 8 hours per day.

What are you feeding this budgie?
She needs to be on a very nutritious diet and needs to be receiving calcium supplements to help replenish what her body has lost by laying eggs.

She should be kept warm and given either Guardian Angel or Pedialyte.
If you don't have any, you can make your own using the recipe in this link:

Guardian Angel//Pedialyte//Pedialyte Recipe

I would not give her any unmarked pill since you don't know what the medication is nor would I use garlic infused water.

Can you post a picture of her eye?
Does she allow you to handle her? If so, gently rinse her eye out with a sterile saline solution you can purchase at a pharmacy.

It is my understanding that Eid doesn't begin until July 17th and runs through July 22nd.
Are there no Avian Veterinarians or Exotic Pet Veterinarians near you that are open between now and the 17th?
I've found an available vet since the OP and she perscribed treatment, also thank you for the advice on the eggs and seperation I will do as you said.

·
Super Moderator
19,320 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

You've been given great advice above by FaeryBee! Please let us know how she's doing after the changes.

Meanwhile, you've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies" stuck to the top of each subforum to ensure you're up to date on everything! If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

Hope to stay posted on how things go! Best wishes 👋

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.