Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm completely new with budgies and all started when I rescued an old female budgie from the street. We decided to buy a another one to keep her company. Well, a couple of months later another budgie I rescued from the street. And then, we decided to buy another one to keep it even.

NOW WE HAVE BABIES BUDGIES 🥰( not for sale). The babies belong to the young couple.

The old lady is Blue blue ( she's a very light blue color)

The couple are Moon light ( she's a blue budgie) and Lucas ( he is a blue budgie)

And we have Snowy ( he/ she is a white with a little bit of grey budgie). We still don't know if it's female or male. His/her picture below.

I'm in Gatineau Quebec Canada

I had googled and watched it a lot of YouTube videos about budgies,but I still have a lot of questions 😅

I am happy to found you guys 😊

Bird Vertebrate Beak Cockatiel Pet supply

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

How long have you had your budgies?
How many budgies do you have at this point in time?
What are their genders -- how many males and how many females?
How large is the cage in which you are housing them?
Did you allow the breeding to take place in a colony setting?

Did you have the birds on a proper conditioning diet?

Hopefully, you did not allow the "old female budgie" to breed.
Budgies under 12-18 months and older than 4 years should never be allowed to breed.

Before breeding any species, it is important to learn as much about the animals, their personalities, and the best practices to follow for responsible and ethical breeding prior to making the commitment to take on the responsibility. This requires extensive research and an openness to continual learning.
Please read the information in these threads:

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

What are your budgies names?
Do you have pictures of them you'd like to share?

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
19,684 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee has asked some great questions. I totally agree with the above; please let us know what the situation is now!

You've also been given great resources by FaeryBee. Please be sure to read through everything provided above to ensure you're up to date on the best of budgie care practices! If you have any questions after doing so, feel free to ask as we'd love to help.

Best wishes!

Cheers 👋

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please answer the questions asked. We cannot help you or give you advice without having this information.
I did answer the question buy changing my post.
I am going to answer here and to him.

I rescued two budgies( March 2021) and bought two last year (April and May 2021)

The oldest female ( Blue blue) didn't put the eggs.I didn't let her breed at all . She's 4 years old beautiful sky blue budgie.She is a rescued budgie.

Moonlight is the mother of the 4 babies budgies. She is a Blue budgie and she is 1 year and 2 month old.

Lucas is the father of the 4 babies budgies. He is as the same color as moonlight ( blue). He is 2 years old. He is a rescued budgie.

Snowy is the white blue budgie. He is only 1 year and 2 month old. He loves to talk.

Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

How long have you had your budgies?
How many budgies do you have at this point in time?
What are their genders -- how many males and how many females?
How large is the cage in which you are housing them?
Did you allow the breeding to take place in a colony setting?

Did you have the birds on a proper conditioning diet?

Hopefully, you did not allow the "old female budgie" to breed.
Budgies under 12-18 months and older than 4 years should never be allowed to breed.

Before breeding any species, it is important to learn as much about the animals, their personalities, and the best practices to follow for responsible and ethical breeding prior to making the commitment to take on the responsibility. This requires extensive research and an openness to continual learning.
Please read the information in these threads:

What are your budgies names?
Do you have pictures of them you'd like to share?

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
Sorry,I didn't know before how to reply. So I did answer your question buy changing my post.
I did put one picture...I will put the rest.
Now my husband told me how to reply. Here is my answer for your question 😄:
Bird Beak Feather Turkey Phasianidae
Mesh Pet supply Bird Line Beak

Bird White Vertebrate Beak Neck

Head Bird Beak Natural material Feather

I rescued two budgies( March 2021) and bought two last year (April and May 2021)

The oldest female ( Blue blue) didn't put the eggs.I didn't let her breed at all . She's 4 years old beautiful sky blue budgie.She is a rescued budgie.

Moonlight is the mother of the 4 babies budgies. She is a Blue budgie and she is 1 year and 2 month old.

Lucas is the father of the 4 babies budgies. He is as the same color as moonlight ( blue). He is 2 years old. He is a rescued budgie.

Snowy is the white blue budgie. He is only 1 year and 2 month old. He loves to talk.

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
You need to remove the hamster wheel from the cage. That is very dangerous for your birds. They can easily get their foot or leg caught and seriously injure themselves.

The bedding in the nest box needs to be either aspen shavings or pine shavings.
The nest box should have a concave bottom to help prevent splayed legs.
The nest box needs to be cleaned regularly.

How large is the cage the budgies are in? Length, Width and Height?
Are all of the budgies in the same cage?
Is the nest box attached to that cage?
If so, that is called "colony breeding".
The nest box should be attached to the outside of the cage -- not completely inside the cage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to remove the hamster wheel from the cage. That is very dangerous for your birds. They can easily get their foot or leg caught and seriously injure themselves.

The bedding in the nest box needs to be either aspen shavings or pine shavings.
The nest box should have a concave bottom to help prevent splayed legs.
The nest box needs to be cleaned regularly.

How large is the cage the budgies are in? Length, Width and Height?
Are all of the budgies in the same cage?
Is the nest box attached to that cage?
If so, that is called "colony breeding".
The nest box should be attached to the outside of the cage -- not completely inside the cage.
Question:"You need to remove the hamster wheel from the cage. That is very dangerous for your birds. They can easily get their foot or leg caught and seriously injure themselves."
Answer: It came with the cage. I just took it out. Thank you

Question: "The bedding in the nest box needs to be either aspen shavings or pine shavings. "
Answer: I can't remember which one it's,but I am going to take out of the cage so no more breeding.

Question:"The nest box should have a concave bottom to help prevent splayed legs. "
Answer: yes,it have a concave bottom.

Question: "The nest box needs to be cleaned regularly."
Answer: yes, I cleaned it every day.

Question: "How large is the cage the budgies are in? Length, Width and Height?"
Answer: It's a big cage. 20"L x 31"W x 43"H.
I have a small one 9"L x 15"W x 13"H ( Blue blue stay on this one for now).

Question: "Are all of the budgies in the same cage?"
Answer: before the babies,yes. Now with the babies,no. I did separate Blue blue , because she want it to go inside the moonlight's nest. Blue blue is on the small cage for now.

Question: "Is the nest box attached to that cage? If so, that is called "colony breeding".
The nest box should be attached to the outside of the cage -- not completely inside the cage."
Answer: the box is attached inside the cage. I am going to remove it when the babies are older. For Now on no more nest box.

Thank you for your update.

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
All of the budgies except for the mother, father and babies need to be put into a different cage at this point in time.

ONLY the mother, father and the chicks should be in the cage with the nest box.

You need to ensure the second cage is big enough to accommodate all of the other birds.

Minimum size for 3 budgies-----32x18x20"
Volume = 11,520" cubic inches

Minimum size for 4 budgies-----34x18x25"
Volume = 15,300" cubic inches

What are you planning to do with the chicks once they are fully fledged and weaned?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the budgies except for the mother, father and babies need to be put into a different cage at this point in time.

ONLY the mother, father and the chicks should be in the cage with the nest box.

You need to ensure the second cage is big enough to accommodate all of the other birds.

Minimum size for 3 budgies-----32x18x20"
Volume = 11,520" cubic inches

Minimum size for 4 budgies-----34x18x25"
Volume = 15,300" cubic inches

What are you planning to do with the chicks once they are fully fledged and weaned?
I already ordered another big cage for the new members of the family 😁. I am keeping the 4 babies. They are family and no breeding them at all!

I am going to move Snowy to another cage as recommend it. Thank you for the information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.