Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had budgies most of my life (got my first when I was 12, I'm 58 now); there has only been one brief period of about five years when my living arrangements kept me from having them unless always kept caged ... which is not an option as far as I am concerned.

At the present time, I have a flock of nine male budgies, all green variations:

• Chaos (dark green)
  • Miracle (dark green clearwing)
  • Volvo (dark green opaline head only)
  • Martin (green normal)
  • Hyacinth (yellowface/blue-green body)
  • Percy (green normal)
  • Poppy (opaline)
  • Copy & Paste (green normal, twins from the same clutch)

All of them are rescue budgies, from Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue in the San Francisco/San Jose area. I am a volunteer, although due to my living in the Los Angeles area my activities are limited to conducting telephone interviews of potential adopters and assisting with available bird online listings.

My little guys live in a cage which is somewhat smaller than a flight cage, due to space restrictions in my apartment, although they have out-of-cage access to the entire apartment when I am home ... which is quite a lot since I am semi-retired and what remaining consulting business I have is operated from a home-based office, therefore I am home much more than the average parront. :)

Budgies bring me a lot of joy. One of the most pleasant sounds in the world is that of budgies chattering amongst themselves happily. (A few people who I have interviewed for Mickaboo adoptions say they can tell my little guys like their home because "no unhappy budgie ever made sounds like those.")

I have taken in a few "special needs" budgies over the years who probably would not have found adopters in normal circumstances. Chaos and Miracle never fledged properly and therefore fly like rocks ... straight down. Both have learned to call to me and stay where I can see them until my finger comes down to perch on while being carried back to the cage. Mieli, who ultimately was taken down by a tumor about a year ago, had been the victim of a scaly mite infestation when Mickaboo took him in; after that was cleared his beak grew abnormally and no potential adopter wanted to take on the frequent vet visits to keep it trimmed, so he came here ... and promptly taught himself how to trim the beak using the lava stone in the cage. (Who says budgies aren't smart?)

My current "special needs" guy is Poppy, who was found by one of our volunteers in his driveway last spring with what looked like a damaged wing. The vet said it was not broken or injured but was actually a birth defect; as Poppy was still pre-first moult (bars on forehead, pink-purple cere) we surmise that his original family got him when he was still too young for the wing problem to be obvious, and once it was they discarded him like yesterday's newspaper. (He couldn't fly well enough to have "escaped" on his own.) Well, since he was another one who was probably never going to find a forever home when potential adopters had so many more budgies in our system to choose from, he got to come live here too. After a few weeks of testing his wings -- and several misjudged landings in the process -- Poppy has adapted and flies just fine now. Being only about a year old at this point, he is just now entering the "explore my world" phase and is much more playful than his older flockmates. His favorite game is to take one of the small foot toys from the playpen, walk over to the edge, and drop it to the floor for his person to retrieve. It's a shame his original family tossed him aside because he's not physically perfect, because he has a wonderfully upbeat and gentle personality and would have been a great companion budgie for anyone. And I think that not only was he lucky enough to land in a volunteer's driveway without a predator getting him, I'm lucky to have him here in my home.

Okay, that's way too long an introduction. Stopping now.

·
Administrator
56,655 Posts

Hi Talk Budgies!

How awesome that you are a volunteer for the Companion Bird Rescue.

To familiarize yourself with the forums, please take the time to read through all of the How To Guides, the FAQs and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
You'll find most of your basic questions are answered after you've read through all of them.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your budgie and hopefully seeing some pictures :photo: soon!!

TalkBudgies.com Rules and Guidelines
How-To Guides - Talk Budgies Forums
Frequently Asked Questions: Talk Budgies Forums - FAQ
List of Stickies - Talk Budgies Forums

http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/55420-prepared-veterinary-care-expense.html
http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/102714-quarantine-really-important.html
http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-info-[articles]/227841-50-common-budgie-dangers-watch-out.html
Essentials to a Great Cage-Talk Budgies Forums

http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/175818-how-post-pictures-photobucket.html
Examples Of Pictures To Post And Not Post - Talk Budgies Forums
http://talkbudgies.com/mutations-ge...when-asking-mutation-identification-help.html

Helpful Links - Talk Budgies Forums
Budgie Articles Forum - Talk Budgies Forums

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi! Welcome to Talk Budgies!! You and your flock will be a very welcome addition here!! Your experience and knowledge will be invaluable! Look forward to conversing with you around the forum :)

Matt, Olaf & Belle

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! What a blessing you are!! Would love to see pics of your flock when you can!! God bless you for your kindness and opening your heart and home to these wonderful little souls!!:)

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Hello Kymberleigh...welcome to talk budgies. You sound like our favorite kind of people....Glad you found us, and would love to see your bird's...:)

·
Member of the Month August 2015
1,633 Posts
Welcome to this forum.. I'm sure you'll have lots to add. This group of people is friendly and very supportive. When I found it, I was clueless and was welcomed and mentored in a very supportive way.
I love your story about helping with rescue birds...and would love to see photos of your flock!
Judy

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
Welcome to TB Kymberleigh :) Poppy sounds like a lucky guy, as they all are I am sure. Hope to see some pictures of your flock soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have a picture of the entire current flock (you try getting nine budgies to stay in one place outside their cage long enough to take their picture!) but here is one that includes Mieli and Apollo, who left for the Rainbow Bridge this year:

Additions since this pic are Percy, Martin, Hyacinth, Poppy, and the twins (Copy & Paste).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.