Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, 3 months ago I got a blue masked lovebird and I recently added a new one in the cage, a beautiful fischer's lovebird and they get along great.
I would like to know if there are any differences that can tell a male from a female, like in terms of singing or other behaviour. I know the sure way is to have a DNA test or to compare the size of their bones, but I'm not experienced enough for that.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
I have no clue on lovebirds but here is some information I found:

1. A female lovebird perches with its legs wider than a male lovebird. Although some says that they do see a male lovebird perching wider than a female lovebird. In this case, how I wish I can show the picture of my female lovebird to show exactly how wide my female lovebird is actually perching.

2. Any lovebird that lays eggs, it is a guarantee that the lovebird is a female.

3. By feeling their pelvic bone but only unless you are very experienced. I will suggest to not try this method. Because, both the male and female lovebird pelvic bone will feel the same to you if aren't experience enough.

4. Get a short nail, tie its head to a thread, hold the lovebird upside down and
hang the tip of the nail near the part where it poop while you hold on the end
of the thread. It should look like you are somewhat holding a pendulum above the lovebird. Make sure the nail is not swinging about. Wait for a few seconds, if the nail start swinging in circles, the lovebird is a male. However, if the nail
start swinging from left to right and right to left, you have got a male!

5. Last but not least, the most guaranteed way. A DNA test.
I don;t advise doing ANY of these thing, they sound dangerous and harmful to your bird. A DNA test is definatly the most sensible option to do :)

A video might help - [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFNfXCXkdvI"]how to sex a lovebird - YouTube[/nomedia]

·
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info, I won't torture my birds by putting them upside down, although they love to do that on top of their cages! It seems they want to be bats!
I thought there could be a difference in the way they sing or something, I have noticed my blue one sings a lot more than the other.
Oh well, I guess I would have to wait and see if one them lays any egg.

·
Administrator
56,646 Posts
I think it's wonderful that your two birds are getting along well!

I can't offer any advice with regard to how to determine the gender except the DNA test...

Is there a particular reason you want to know there gender or is it just curiosity?

·
Registered
111 Posts
DNA testing is the only way
i got a male and female both dnad
the female has a narrower pelvic bone and even mates with her fleece toy like a boy :)

and by looking at the stance... let me show you something :)
theres no difference. both vary their stance

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
Casey, your 2 are SO precious! :)

And I agree, only way to really tell is to get a DNA test done. You can get it done at the vets.

·
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I just wanted to know out of curiosity. I wouldn't want to give them names not right for their genders, but for now I will assume they are both males so they have male names until they prove the contrary.

·
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, here is a picture of them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i think the blue is a fischers too. the face is too white for a masked. looks like a blue fischers

·
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really? He was sold to me as a "Personata" lovebird. Here are a couple of more pictures of him.

·
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe he is, I really don't know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.