Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Wanted to say Hi and Happy Mother's Day to all the mother's out there. I recently bought a pair of parakeets and just trying to figure out their mutations. I found out my yellow is a recessive pied, possibly a female, but any guesses on my white baby? The shop where I got them from had just got these babies in, so I know they are very young.

Anyway, I'm not new to birds, I keep and raise Gouldian Finches and had parakeets over the years, it's been a while though. I'm just reading up on all the colors and mutations and I find it so interesting.

Thanks for any help

I just love them already :)

Rena

·
Registered
750 Posts
Awee, they are so cutee! They are young indeed!
I'm not good with mutations but I'm sure someone who is experienced will come along and give you that information:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aren't they :) They puff their head feathers up a lot, makes them look so cute. The white one reminds me of a cotton ball, lol ! I bought the yellow first and then went back for the another. Sigh.. Couldn't resist.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Your new budgies are just adorable!! My guess is that the white one is a male, but I am no pro at sexing budgies - even though it is over a year since I got my first one, the learning curve is a long one when it comes to these wonderful little creatures. Happy Mother's Day to you too, from a granny in Canada.

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
Welcome to the flock !
The mutations are...

sky blue Double factor ( DF ) dominant pied ( looks to be male )

and the green is

light green recessive pied (female)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all!! I would be very happy if the white is a male. When I got the yellow, I went by blue cere boy info. Then started researching the mutations and found the pieds are the opposite, with the pink/purples cere being the males. I picked the white because of his very pink cere, so here's hoping ;) Anyway, most importantly, they are very sweet and get a long great. I'll be going back to work soon so they will keep each other company when I'm not home.

Thanks again everyone! This sight is very informative!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Not sure on Mutation, but your white baby is a male. The yellow girl is a girl and is under six months. The bars on the head indicates that she is under six months. I love the yellow.:budgie::cool::D:p:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Val!

OMG, is this cute or what??

I thought I would spook them when I opened the door to get the pic but they didn't even flinch. I just got the white one yesterday too:love:

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your questions, just want to welcome you to the site and say how cute your budgies are :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The yellow one is a recessive pied light green female. Although there is very little green showing it is still her base color

The white one is a recessive pied sky blue male. The orange beak & pink feet are a sign of a recessive pied. He doesn't look like a double factor dominant pied to me but he probably has another mutation as well that has caused him to have less markings than most recessive pieds

Are they brother & sister?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting and thanks! I was wondering that myself. They came from the same store and from the same cage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.