Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and new to owning budgies!

I am sure I will have lots of questions in the coming days and weeks, but my first question is about food.

I have had my 2 young budgies, approx. 3 months old, for just over a week now.
Please could I have some advice on the best food to give them? They are both enjoying their seeds and the lettuce and grass I have been giving them. Should they be having a complete food/pellets as their staple food?

Thanks in advance:)

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,285 Posts
Welcome to TalkBudgies!
Ideally, your birds should be on a diet of predominantly pellets and fresh vegetables (fruit very occasionally). It can take some doing to get them used to this if they’ve never seen either before, but don’t give up! Lots of good tips in the Diet section of the forum.

Please take a look at the "stickies" posted in each of the topic areas for a wealth of knowledge.
Here are a few to get you started!

Breeders over Pet Stores

Is My Bird Healthy?
Yes, Your Bird Needs to See a Vet

Please Don’t Breed Your Birds
Coffee & Toast, Hold the Eggs

Clicker Training
Positive Reinforcement

Safe Foods

As for taming, if your bird(s) come from a breeder that worked well at socializing their animals, then the process below is the same but it may go much quicker for you. You should move at the pace that your animal is comfortable with. If you place your hand in their cage and they hope right onto you, then you can start building from there with treats, training and out-of-cage time :)

If you got your bird(s) from a pet store, or a breeder who doesn’t socialize their animals; your bird(s) is going to need a couple of quiet weeks to settle in. They can seem “tame” at first, but this is likely just because they are frightened and submissive.

Start by resting your hand on the outside of the cage for 5-10 minutes a few times a day. Talk to them as you do this, in a quiet and steady voice. Read something to them if you like ;)
After a week or two of this, you can move to just placing your hand "in" the cage. You can use their behavior as a judge on this one. If they actively retreat from your hand, even when it’s on the outside of the cage; they aren’t ready for you to go to the next step. Once they start to essentially “ignore” your hand, then you can move on.
The next step is to put your hand in the cage. Don't touch them, go near them or even move. Just rest it there for the same 5-10 minutes a few times a day and continue with the quiet, steady speech.

Your bird(s) will eventually begin to acclimate to you and slowly move up to investigating your hand. Then you can work on treat placement in the hand to see if you can then lure them to step on it to eat from it (again without moving).

And then you go from there.
:)

This could take weeks or even months of work and is entirely up to the bird. You may get lucky and have a very outgoing animal that tames in a short period of time, or you may have a more timid creature on your hand that requires a lot more from you.

Birds require far more patience with training than dogs and cats do. They all know instinctively that they are "prey items" and we are basically asking them to ignore that natural response when confronted by a larger predator (you).

You can also use their voice as a measure of their comfort.
A whistling/chirping budgie is not a scared budgie ;)
:)

Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your helpful response!

My 2 babies, Sushi and Noodle, came from a very nice breeder, who has already hand tamed them to a certain degree.

I wonder if you could recommend a good pellet feed? The seed they have been having has some pellets in it buy they leave them in the dish!
We are in the UK, so I don't know if the same brands would be available to us either🤔 I have only seen the seed in our local pet shop but I will buy some online.

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,285 Posts
Sure thing :)

Harrisons
Tops
Zupreme
and Roundybush all make good pellets here in the colonies.
You just want to be on the lookout for % of fats and protein primarily.
And don’t be deterred if your little ones don’t like the first brand that you try, it can take some trial and error!

If you post a few that are locally available to you, we can make a fair assessment for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello again!

Further to our conversation about pellets,
I have ordered a couple for them to try:

Zupreem natural
Hagen tropican
Beaphar care plus

I don't know if you're familiar with the last 2?
It would be interesting to know what you think of them. Hopefully my birdies will like at least one of them.

Many thanks.

·
Administrator
59,173 Posts
Hi! and Welcome to Talk Budgies

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
19,434 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums,

You've been given great advice and resources! You've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices.

Personally I use Zupreem (but the fruity kind, canary size) and my bird loves it, I also think it is a good formula. As mentioned if you post the ingredients of the other brands you found we can certainly advise you!

Be sure to read through the forums, including the links provided above, to ensure you're up to date on everything. If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

We hope to see you around :)

Best wishes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you StarlingWings.

I hasd a look at the fruity Zupreem, but noticed that sugar is high up on the list of ingredients.
Is it OK for budgies to have added sugar in their everyday diet?

·
Super Moderator
19,434 Posts
Thank you StarlingWings.

I hasd a look at the fruity Zupreem, but noticed that sugar is high up on the list of ingredients.
Is it OK for budgies to have added sugar in their everyday diet?
In addition to the added color, that was a concern of mine too. However, in my opinion, especially for birds who don't eat pellets otherwise, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. My girl was a huge seed addict before I managed to get her to eat pellets, and she likes the taste and colors of the pellets a lot. The actual formula itself is pretty good other than the sugar and color, and since she refuses to eat any other kind of pellet, I figure it's worth it for her to eat this. Because of this, she doesn't get any fruits or sugary treats, and she doesn't miss them, either (my girl has a savory palate, lol).

Zupreem makes a natural line of pellets, so if you want to try those first, they come highly recommended as well, and are without the color and high sugar! However, if your budgie seems stubborn I think the fruity ones are worth a try :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah thank you.

I have ordered the natural variety, so hopefully they'll go for that.
I've read lots of the guidance on here about introducing pellets and am going to try crushing some up and sprinkling it on their seed to start with, to hopefully get them used to the taste.
If not, as you say, it's probably better that they eat some sort of pellet, rather than none at all. At least that way I know that they're getting all the nutrients that they need.
I just want to do the best I can for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.