Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I’m new here an just wanted to introduce myself I’m Bella, I have 2 young budgies that are beautiful but I don’t know if they are female or male, I have called them Malibu and ocean but if there a different sex we may have to change there names ...lol

·
Administrator
56,584 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Malibu and Ocean are beautiful birds.

The one on the left is male.
On my computer screen, it appears as if the one on the right is female.
However, another picture taken of the cere in natural light (full frontal view) with no flash and no direct sunlight would be helpful to give a definitive answer.

If/When you have a mixed gender pair, you need to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Rearranging their cage frequently will help tremendously.
Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
When they come into condition, and limit the light they get to 8 hours a day and limit he amount of protein in their diet at that time.

I recommend you remove the wooden dowel perch in the cage and replace it with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Malibu and Ocean are beautiful birds.

The one on the left is male.
On my computer screen, it appears as if the one on the right is female.
However, another picture taken of the cere in natural light (full frontal view) with no flash and no direct sunlight would be helpful to give a definitive answer.

If/When you have a mixed gender pair, you need to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Rearranging their cage frequently will help tremendously.
Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
When they come into condition, and limit the light they get to 8 hours a day and limit he amount of protein in their diet at that time.

I recommend you remove the wooden dowel perch in the cage and replace it with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

Here is a better pic in the light thank you

And another

·
Administrator
56,584 Posts
In the second picture the one in front looks like a female. However, in the third picture, the bottom of the cere seems pretty dark but the white on the nares is still pronounced -- so now I'm confused.
Let me have my special gender expert take a look when she logs in and get you a definitive answer. StarlingWings should be on-line later today

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm gonna have a go at making an educated guess. I think the lil nugget in the back in the latest two pictures is a male, and the nugget up front stealing all the limelight is a lady. I'm excited to see what the resident gender expert says later today.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

Your two budgies are absolutely adorable :) You have a male and a female, ChickWas is correct. In the last photo you posted, the male is in the back, and the female is in the front. In the very first photo at the beginning of the thread, the male is on the left, and the female is on the right :D

As you have a mixed gender pair, it's important you do everything you can to prevent breeding! You can find the related information around the forums :y: It's great to have you with us and you've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Be sure to read through the resources provided above by FaeryBee, which include the forums' many budgie articles and stickies, to ensure you're up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

We hope to see you around!

👋

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.