Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm happy to join this community. Everyone seems very supportive and helpful in the threads that I've gone through!

I'm a relatively new budgie owner, my son was gifted a young budgie a little over two years ago from his Grandad. It was a surprise to me, and not going to lie, I wasn't thrilled about it as I had never had any birds as a pet before. But as a lover of all creatures great & small, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work to make sure this little guy had the best possible time in our care. The first thing we did was got him a little companion very quickly after we got the first budgie, and so the dynamic duo of Sunny & Calvin were born! They are two males and are very close. They feed, preen and sing with one another. It's really been great to see their friendship blossom.

But recently there's been trouble in bachelor paradise, Calvin who is typically the more laid back of the two has been harassing poor Sunny constantly. What I thought was just playful behaviour at first, has been getting more and more aggressive. They have a small aviary that we keep in the house during the colder months, but move outside during the warmer weather, so they have been outside for the best part of this month. (I'm from Ireland, so we're not known for our hot Summers!) They have plenty of space, perches, toys, and food sources. They are not hand-tamed, but I'm ok with that, they know we love them. My Father in Law, who bought Sunny for my son, is saying that as they are adolescents now they are showing aggression towards each other because they want a mate, but I don't agree.

After reviewing some articles, I started to limit the amount of day light by covering their aviary from early evening and uncovering in the morning. I have been doing this for a week now, but he's still chasing Sunny around the cage. I have been keeping a very close eye on them and have seen some glimpses of their previous behaviour, like Calvin was feeding Sunny yesterday evening, but the majority of the time, he seems to be hostile towards him.

My husband has suggested that we separate the two of them, even just temporarily, but I keep holding out hope that they will go back to the way they used to be. They were friends before, so can't understand how things could have turned so nasty. I would really appreciate any advice or guidance on this, because I just want them to be happy.

·
Administrator
56,533 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

How large is the aviary you have for the budgies? Length, Width, Height
We don't recommend having budgies cages outdoors unless they are supervised the entire time. It is too easy for predators to breach the cages.

At two years old, the boys are not adolescents, they are full grown adults.
Did the bullying begin when you put them outside this summer?
If so, the change from the home environment to being outdoors may have triggered the aggression in Calvin in some manner.

I do NOT suggest you add any more budgies into the mix. You especially do not want to get females as that is simply going to cause even more problems.
Budgies do not need to mate -- most owners should never breed their birds. The budgies are much healthier and happier when they are not bred.

If the problems started when you moved the cage outdoors, then I suggest you bring it back in and see if that relieves the problem within a couple of days time.
You are going to need to keep a very close on on the birds to ensure Calvin does not hurt Sunny.

If that makes no difference in Calvin's behavior, you are going to need to separate the two budgies.
When one budgie begins bullying another, to the degree you have described, it is very dangerous to keep them together.
Calvin may end up severely injuring or killing Sunny.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!!

You’ve come to the best possible place to learn even more about the best budgie care practices!

FaeryBee has given you great advice and resources and I agree with her completely. Please be sure to read through the links provided above to ensure you’re up to date on everything!

I hope things go well with Calvin and Sunny. Fingers crossed that you can find an arrangement that works for them soon!

Keep us posted!

Best wishes 👋

1 - 4 of 4 Posts