Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
That is awesome! I have never heard or seen this before :D Thanks for sharing, I wonder if anyone has ever come across this! :love:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for sharing this- it is really interesting! This is just another example of how cool the world is, especially genetics.
I wonder if anyone on the forum has run across this? Those are such pretty birds and more pictures could be great!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing this- it is really interesting! This is just another example of how cool the world is, especially genetics.
I wonder if anyone on the forum has run across this? Those are such pretty birds and more pictures could be great!
Sure thing! :)

I am interested to see if anyone has too, I would love to know more about them :)

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I have seen this site and these birds several times. From what I understand, everyone is super jazzed because they think they're this much closer to creating a white faced green bird. But that makes no sense to me because these are blue birds, not green. I, personally, don't care for the look of these birds. Also, someone on another site said it was somehow related to the opaline gene, but I have no idea how. There are also people on the budgie facebook page that argue these birds aren't real or the pics are photoshopped. I don't think that's the case. Guess we'll see if they start popping up anywhere else. I don't know much else than that. Maybe someone else does....

·
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen this site and these birds several times. From what I understand, everyone is super jazzed because they think they're this much closer to creating a white faced green bird. But that makes no sense to me because these are blue birds, not green. I, personally, don't care for the look of these birds. Also, someone on another site said it was somehow related to the opaline gene, but I have no idea how. There are also people on the budgie facebook page that argue these birds aren't real or the pics are photoshopped. I don't think that's the case. Guess we'll see if they start popping up anywhere else. I don't know much else than that. Maybe someone else does....
Hmm that is interesting. I can see how it some might think that it would be closer to making a white faced green bird in a sense if it is actually removing the yellow where we would normally expect it to be in a yellowface mutation, but if it is a completely new mutation it would not be anymore unusual than a sf yellowface 1 having the yellow mostly only on the face.

I doubt they are photoshopped too, especially if they are on reputable sites where some research must have gone into the creditability before it was mentioned.

We shall see I think the contrast is interesting, I bet it would look best with dark factor birds :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yeah, read about it during researching on YF1 and YF2 a couple of months ago.
Seemed interesting but didn't find any other site describing this further.

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
The seafoam is a really unusual bird, but I'm also fascinated
by the black tics on the dams forehead. Anyone have a name
for that?

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Ah, thank you for sharing that. I think it looks really
interesting, so of course it would be considered a negative.
I have no judging skills :(

·
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, thank you for sharing that. I think it looks really
interesting, so of course it would be considered a negative.
I have no judging skills :(
No problem! :)

There has been quite a bit of talk about it lately since it has become so prolific in show birds and how to handle it. These paragraphs is from the world budgerigar association website :)

Flecking
http://www.world-budgerigar.org/
This subject was also introduced at the 2011 meeting as a discussion agenda item as it is a universal problem worldwide with different countries adopting different standards where judging is concerned. A full debate by the delegates took place with regard to this problem and how to eradicate it from shows.

It was acknowledged that all of our standards say that the "frontal and crown of the budgerigar should be clear and free from all markings". However, judges and exhibitors have those birds on the show bench and some judges are tempted to put them forward and others will penalise them. It is acknowledged that there are many variations in flecking with marking over the eyes and over the crown.

Some countries have introduced photographs of degrees of flecking that is acceptable as a fault and above that should not be judged. Other countries have issued guidelines to their judges on how to penalise this fault and apply penalties.

After a long debate, it was agreed that the WBO should issue their own policy on this subject that "It is recommended that flecking should be considered as a major fault". Each country will decide on how to deal with this major fault according to its own rules and regulations.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.