Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought I would join this forum as I am now an owner of two lovely budgies called Smuggler and Treasure! I think the wealth of information on the forum will really help with caring for them!

I have been lucky enough to spend time with them since they were only weeks old, as my Dad's budgies had chicks in October last year (Smuggs hatched on my Birthday!). So although I am a newbie to owning budgies, I have had experience of caring for them and spending time with them in the past. Plus I have my Dad, step mum and sister who can provide me with information on caring for them should I need it, so Smuggler and Treasure are in very safe hands.

Both budgies are hand tamed, and have been handled from a very young age, but are quite nervous at the moment due to being in a new environment. They haven't chirped unless I've had music on either. I only got them yesterday so this is understandable. Although it's strange to see them so quiet as they were both the mischievous ones when they were with their siblings! I'm sure they will return to their mischievous ways once they have settled!

Two queries I do have at the moment:

I have them in a cage that I bought a few weeks ago, which I took to my Dad's so that they could adjust to it (although they have been in a few different cages already at my Dad's and adjusted well to each). However, when I saw them in it yesterday I realised that the cage has vertical bars which they can't climb, and these two LOVE to climb! So I've had to order another cage which is arriving tomorrow. I will obviously put all their toys, food bowls etc in the new cage to help them adjust, but is switching cages again likely to stress them out? As they're still adjusting to being away from the other budgies? Should I wait or put them in it as soon as possible?

Also, I'm not sure if the picture attached is clear enough, but any help on their colour, type and sex would be much appreciated. My step Mum thinks that Treasure (right) is a female, but he/she has a blue cere and I thought that males usually have blue ceres? Smuggler's (left) is a pinky colour at the moment, but I suppose this might change as he/she gets older? As for their colouring, I've been trawling through pictures but a lot of them look the same to me!

I look forward to hearing from other budgie owners and reading lots of interesting posts!

:budgie:Kirsty:budgie:

From reading posts I have already noted that sandpaper is bad for their feet! (although so many places advise it for keeping their claws trimmed, which is very bad if it can damage their feet!). That picture was taken at my Dads so I don't have any sandpaper, and won't be using it now I know this!

Learning so much already!

Attachments

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Welcome to talk budgies. I would just put the new cage up to the one they are in now, open door to open door, and let them go in when they are comfortable. Looks like two boys to me, but I'm no expert...:)

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new budgie friends! :)
About the cage, budgies (and other pet birds) are still able to climb and move around well through vertical cage bars, but a cage upgrade is always good. :D
To make the transition smoother and as stress free as possible, you can place both cages close by and move some perches, toys food and water dishes onto the new cage and keep the door to it open to encourage your budgie go take a look inside.

From that photo I'm seeing a pinkish cere on the budgie on the left and a purplish cere on your other budgie and if that is the case, then you have two budgie boys. More of a close up photo taken in natural light, a front shot showing the beak/cere area would be helpful to confirm gender. Young and not yet mature males will have overall purplish/pinkish ceres with no hint of white. As they reach maturity, that's when their ceres turn the royal blue colour (there are exceptions in males of certain colour mutations that keep the immature colour on the cere).

About their colour mutations, the budgie on the left seems to be a mauve single factor golden face full body colour greywing budgie.
The one on the right I think is a cobalt violet opaline budgie.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for your informative replies!

It's very exciting that they might both be boys! They are only about 12 weeks old now so time will tell! I have read the guidelines on how to take the best pictures for determining gender and colour mutations, so I will take some better pictures tomorrow in the daylight.

As for the cage, I think it's just because they're so used to horizontal bars, they just slide down the vertical ones. I'm sure they would get used to it, but the new cage is bigger as well so it will be better for them in the long run

:budgie::budge:

·
Administrator
55,587 Posts
Hi and :welcome: to Talk Budgies!

We're happy to have you with us. :)
Your two little budgies are adorable.
You've been given excellent advice :thumbsup: on how to best move them from their current cage to their new one.

To familiarize yourself with the forums, please take the time to read through all of the How To Guides, the FAQs and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
You'll find most of your basic questions are answered after you've read through all of them.

TalkBudgies.com Rules and Guidelines
How-To Guides - Talk Budgies Forums
Frequently Asked Questions: Talk Budgies Forums - FAQ
List of Stickies - Talk Budgies Forums

http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/295033-prepared-veterinary-care-expense.html
http://talkbudgies.com/emergency-room/225585-my-birdy-first-aid-kit.html
http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/102714-quarantine-really-important.html
http://talkbudgies.com/articles-general-budgie-info/227841-50-common-budgie-dangers-watch-out.html

http://talkbudgies.com/housing-budgies/24411-cage-sizes.html
Essentials to a Great Cage-Talk Budgies Forums

Helpful Links - Talk Budgies Forums
Budgie Articles Forum - Talk Budgies Forums

When you upload pictures as thumbnail attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as PhotoBucket and follow the steps in these instructions:
http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/175818-how-post-pictures-photobucket.html

Examples Of Pictures To Post And Not Post - Talk Budgies Forums
http://talkbudgies.com/mutations-ge...king-mutation-gender-identification-help.html

By the way, all photos entered in any of our forum contests must be a full-size photo and not a thumbnail attachment so it's good to know how to upload them! ;)

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

·
Super Moderator
18,100 Posts
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums!

Smuggler and Treasure are beautiful little guys ;) Speaking about being a budgie enthusiast, now you need four more called Pirate, Pearl, Matey and Rum :laughing: Just kidding :giggle:

Anyways, I agree with Aluz about their mutations, as well :thumbsup: It sounds like you've been doing great research and I'm sure they'll be very happy living with you :D

If you go through something and you have a question afterwards, be sure to ask! We're here to help :)

Hope to see you around and it's great to have you with us! :wave:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: moved to new cage!

Thanks so much, this really is a great forum!:D

I've moved them both into the new cage, unfortunately I wasn't able to put the old cage against the new one as they're completely different sizes, so I had to move them in on my finger. I'd positioned the new cage next to them for a while so they could get used to it. The old cage really was a bit small for them both now I've seen them in the bigger one.

I was worried that I had stressed them out by moving them in on my finger and that it would stand against me when bonding with them, but Treasure just started singing his heart out after hearing the sound of my voice and Smuggler is eating, so I assume that means they shouldn't be too stressed? :budgie:

·
Super Moderator
18,100 Posts
Yes, it sounds like they're just fine after the move and it sounds like they didn't mind being transported over by your finger too much! :clap: I'm sure they love their new cage!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here are some better pictures of their ceres, from what I've looked at online and from your comments I think they're boys. I'm posting from my iPhone so I hope the pictures upload ok, there's not an option to embed a photo so I'll have to attach them.

Thanks for all your help and comments

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,100 Posts
They're stunning :love: Both beautiful boys!

In case you wondered, regarding mutations, Aluz wasn't able to see that the teal and yellow one is also opaline, making him a "rainbow" budgie, technically ;) If you posted a picture showing more of his wings, we'd be able to comfirm this :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much. That's so good to hear, I hope Treasure doesn't think his name is too girly haha!

Ooooh a rainbow budgie! Sounds almost magical! Here's a better picture of his feathers. Treasure felt had to get in on the picture!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,100 Posts
Yep, Treasure is what's considered a "rainbow" budgie--a shade of blue, yellow face or golden face, full body greywing or clearwing, and opaline ;)

Treasure is a mauve, golden face, full body greywing opaline budgie :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, Treasure is what's considered a "rainbow" budgie--a shade of blue, yellow face or golden face, full body greywing or clearwing, and opaline

Treasure is a mauve, golden face, full body greywing opaline budgie
Wow, thank you so much for the info! I've told them about their mutations but they didn't seem as excited as me :p

You'll be pleased to know that they're settling in nicely now they've been here almost two weeks! We're making progress bonding, they're eating out of my hand and have taken a fancy to nibbling my nose. Although when they're out of the cage they're a nightmare to get back in, but I'm patient and end up luring them in with some spinach!

·
Super Moderator
18,100 Posts
Kristy, that's great to hear! I'm glad they've started to adjust and even tried out some healthy green foods :D

It sounds like they really enjoy being out with you, too! If it's ever too much of an issue to get them back "home", letting them out before you feed them is often a good strategy so they go back to the cage when they're hungry :thumbsup:

·
Member of the Month August 2015
1,633 Posts
Welcome to Talk Budgies.. you have two adorable little guys! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about them over time. I sure do agree this is a wonderful source of information.. I have learned and continue to learn so much here!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.