Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellos everyone! . Im really sorry if i posted this n the wrong section and also im really sorry for my english. I know it's not the best but at least I'm trying.
Anyways.
Im a new budgie momma (wish i could post pictures but shes terrified atm) and thats the problem.
I got my budgie today, she's between 8-11 months old i ve been told. and she's really terrified of me.
I can't stand watching her tremble as i walk by her cage.
I want to bond with that little and im not sure how to give her the space she needs roght now .
Shall i put her in a different room and only visit her for cleaning and feeding for a few days?
Or should i bring her to the room I'm mostly in so she can get used to my appearance?
I really cant stand seeing this little one shaking every time

help the poor. Lol.
thank you for your time xx

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

You can cover the top and three sides of the cage to help her feel more secure.
It's good to have the back of the cage up against a wall.
It is very normal for a budgie to sit quietly in one spot and not move much when it is first brought home.

You may not see your budgie eating or drinking for a few days and this is normal.
If the budgie is sitting on the floor of the cage, you can place some seed and a shallow dish of water on the bottom of the cage until the budgie begins moving around in the cage and locates its food and water dishes

While it is fine to offer a spray of millet for a day or two, it is very important that you also have a high quality seed mix available in the cage.
Otherwise, budgies can quickly decide they aren’t going to eat anything but millet leading to obesity and nutritional disease.
Budgies drink only tiny bits of water at a time you may not see this happen as they often wait until you are not around before drinking.
Rest assured that if your budgie is pooping normally then it is also eating and drinking.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,583 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Congratulations on your new addition! I know it’s discouraging to see her so scared, but it’s normal. To help her settle in, I agree completely with FaeryBee’s advice. She’s given some great resources above as well so be sure to read through things!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! If you have questions after looking through all the “stickies” above, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us posted!
Cheers! 👋

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your answers.
So i should leave it alone the first few days? Like no attention at all?
I just walk by her cage a few minutes randomly during the day (i keep her in the quietest room of the house till shes comfortable enough) and talk to her,or wlalk by doing nothing so she can see im no danger.
Does this even make sense?
Lol
PS i llchave to clean her cage tomorrow vut how will i do that shes too terrified

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
No, you don't have to ignore her. Several times a day sit near the cage and just talk softly to her, you can also leave some music on for her, silence means trouble to budgies, because they are prey animals, in the wild if a predator is around the flock will become quiet so as not to alert a predator to their presence. Are there other people or pets in the house? When you clean the cage move very slowly, unfortunately in the beginning when they are still not comfortable it will make them nervous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just me and my partner. Two people one budgie. We try to sit together in the room a meter or two away from the cage and just casually talk n a sweet tone. We cant go anywhere near the cage without her flying around n terror.
We keep the room's door open all day long though so she can hear us talking and moving around all day long and get used to that as "normal sounds "
I do have alot of patience it's just that i feel bad for her feeling so anxious and scared all day

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
I understand, I feel bad for her reading this. Did she come from a pet store or breeder, her prior surroundings could have an influence on her current degree of unease.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was determined to buy the bird from a breeder but then the other day i just walked by that pet shop and i felt so sorry for those birds. Like twenty of them in such a small cage. So i wanted to "save" at least one from those conditions.
She's between 6-8 months old i hope that she can get over her past (the bad conditions she lived in) and enjoy her new home. The sooner i gain her trust the better for her, cause i do plan on letting her fly free in that room once we reach that trust level .

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I was determined to buy the bird from a breeder but then the other day i just walked by that pet shop and i felt so sorry for those birds. Like twenty of them in such a small cage. So i wanted to "save" at least one from those conditions.
She's between 6-8 months old i hope that she can get over her past (the bad conditions she lived in) and enjoy her new home. The sooner i gain her trust the better for her, cause i do plan on letting her fly free in that room once we reach that trust level .
You have a good heart :)
I’m sure that with the right patience, she’ll defiantly bond with you and settle into a happy life. It’s just going to take her some time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your kind words and advice.
I just want to make sure i dont make any mistakes , stress her, push her in any way. I dont mind taking it slow i just want to do it right you know.
I havent even named her yet 😂 cant find a proper name for her. She's too good for any names. Haha

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Thank you for your kind words and advice.
I just want to make sure i dont make any mistakes , stress her, push her in any way. I dont mind taking it slow i just want to do it right you know.
I havent even named her yet 😂 cant find a proper name for her. She's too good for any names. Haha
Post a pic, we’ll help :)

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
To build your budgie’s trust, sit by her cage and read, talk or sing quietly to her for a period of at least 10-15 minutes, 3 or 4 times day.
After a week or so, rest your hand on the outside of the cage when you talk to her so she'll learn that your hand is safe and will not hurt her.

Give her time, and she will learn not to be so scared.
When you aren't around, play some music or the TV for her.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you again for your advice. I ve been trying to do as i was told.
She's scared even if i walk in that room. I just wish it didnt make me so sad to see her like this.
I ll give it time and get back to you with (hopefully) good news.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello my friends. Theres been some progrees, at least shes not flying all aeound her cage in panic when i walk by 😂
I wanted to ask you sth. I want to bring her n the living room where we spend most time of the day.
I dont like her being in the bedroom all day and have just "visits" from us.
Is this wise or i ll scare her with moving her cage ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you.
One more thinf and im sorry if im being annoying with all those questions.
Today she seems a little bit off. She usually talks a lot ehen i play budgie sounds for her but today she didnt care at all. She opened her mouth a time or two but without letting any sounds out.
Is it possible that shes just having a bad day
And shes not in the mood or should i worry and look for a vet

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
It isn't a good idea for you to be playing budgie sounds for your bird.
Doing so can actually make the budgie depressed as it believes there are other budgies nearby but she can't get to them.
You are better off playing music for her instead.

Is she fluffed up?
Is she eating, drinking and pooping normally?
Has she begun molting?

Budgies generally have a first light molt at around 3 - 4 months old and another at 6 -7 months old.
When a budgie reaches at 1 year old their molts adjust to the Seasons., After the adjustment the budgie will have its big molts in the Spring and Fall. Budgies may also have lighter molts throughout the year; triggered by stress, change in diet or change in environment.

You can supplement your budgie’s diet with egg food during a molt.
This helps your budgies replenish the energy lost during the time they lose and grow in the new feathers.
Additionally, egg food promotes good and healthy feather growth.
It is possible to buy ready-made egg food at any specialized pet store but just as easy to make your own by hard boiling an egg, mashing it up and mixing it with a bit of cooked quinoa and flax seed. You can also finely chop some veggies and add it to the egg food mix.

Budgies get itchy during their molt, so they'll preen and scratch more often. Additionally, they may be sleepier and quieter as molting takes a lot of energy, and their poop could be a little runnier. To make them more comfortable, you can offer them baths either in a shallow dish of water at the bottom of their cage or by hanging wet greens (romaine lettuce or kale works best) in their cage so they can nibble on it and rub against them.

Molting FAQs

Miserable Molting

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think she was just scared afterall.
I dont think its a good idea to just let her be . I believe she ll feel lonely soon if i dont spend time with her in the same room.even though shes scared of me

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
To build your budgie’s trust, sit by her cage and read, talk or sing quietly to her for a period of at least 10-15 minutes, 3 or 4 times day.
After a week or so, rest your hand on the outside of the cage when you talk to her so she'll learn that your hand is safe and will not hurt her.

Give her time, and she will learn not to be so scared.
If you aren't around, play some music or the TV for her.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts