Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Sleeve Building Flooring Hardwood

Chick has developed a fear of the dark. She used to go to sleep with little to no fuss, but now she becomes very agitated and bitey when in the covered cage, with lots of agitated chirping. Wasabi isn't fussed and will just vibe out, though I have a feeling it's due to her still dealing with AGY, so she's too tired to give much of a care. My bedtime routine is the same every night:

• 9pm I give Wasabi her medicine, whilst Chick is in the cage. It takes about 2 minutes.
  • I then let them both sit with me until 9:30pm
  • Whilst they're on my shoulders, I cover the cage, but I pull the sides and front up to leave the entire front of the cage exposed. I also turn one of my two bedroom lights off, which gives a sunset feel
  • At 9:30pm (or before, if they both decide to go into the cage by themselves), I hover them near the cage door and they hop in and immediately go to the highest perch, or have a quick snack before making their way up. The entire front of the cage is uncovered at this point. They start to preen and bedtime chirp
  • At 9:45pm, I lower the sides, which makes the cage slightly darker.
  • At 10pm, I drop the front down so it's covered entirely except the bottom 2/3rds of the door

Chick used to only become agitated once I'd drop the sides of the cover down at 9:45pm. Now, she'll be agitated as soon as she settles on the highest perch, and will unhappily chirp. I figured I'd use this weak lamp as a nightlight, as it isn't too bright. My only concern is, the top of the lamp is uncovered (and I don't want to make a fire hazard by putting a shirt over it to dampen the light), so the light shines right into the cage and I'm not too sure how bright it is inside, but it may be like a very weak sunset. If I crouch down to peer at the top of the cage, light is reaching it. It helps Chick be calm, but the only angle it works is if it's on the floor directly in front of the cage. If I move it away or put it on a stool, not enough light reaches their top perch and Chick is back to being agitated. Is this okay, or is it too bright for them to get adequate sleep?

Is it better for it to be a tad too light, so they are both calm and happy, or is it more important to make sure it's dark enough for them to get a good night's sleep? I can't uncover more of the front of the cage, as I'm in my bedroom all the time and if Chick has a way of seeing me, she'll drop everything to just stare at me. It's also easier for them to get disturbed if I move, and they'll wake up and stretch. Whereas when they're covered, they stay sleeping.

·
Administrator
56,568 Posts
I use LED nightlights in both my budgie' room and in my lovebirds' room. They are plugged in low on the wall so they illuminate sufficiently but aren't overwhelmingly bright.
I don't know where you are located but perhaps you can buy something similar to the ones in this link:

·
Super Moderator
3,857 Posts
Budgies nap during the day when it is light so I don't see a problem unless your hear her moving around. Have you tried a different color of something to cover the cage, maybe something lighter, I don't know if it would make a difference but maybe with the dark cover she feels like she is in a box and it makes her nervous.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use LED nightlights in both my budgie' room and in my lovebirds' room. They are plugged in low on the wall so they illuminate sufficiently but aren't overwhelmingly bright.
I don't know where you are located but perhaps you can buy something similar to the ones in this link:

When I move out and get my own place, that would work great. But using it now, I'd need to sit in a dimly lit room because my budgies are sleeping, and I'm usually not in bed until two hours after them. My bedroom also sorely lacks sockets for me to plug it into, I have a single wall socket that lets me plug my PC and lamp into. I figured once I get my own place, they'll be in the office all day, and I'll put the cage in my bedroom in the evening for them to sleep undisturbed.

Budgies nap during the day when it is light so I don't see a problem unless your hear her moving around. Have you tried a different color of something to cover the cage, maybe something lighter, I don't know if it would make a difference but maybe with the dark cover she feels like she is in a box and it makes her nervous.
I'll try and find a lighter covering, or sew one together myself! I have a feeling it just may be the fact it becomes too dark and she doesn't like it. I'll use the lamp tonight from the get-go and see if she's as agitated.

·
Administrator
56,568 Posts
I used to have my budgies in my bedroom and often had the light on (and sometimes the TV as well) after I'd covered their cages for the night. Top, 3 sides and 1/3 of the way down the front.
This was usually for an hour or so after the budgies went to bed. The light and sound never seemed to interfere with their sleeping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.