Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ok so from my understanding budgies should have an iris ring if they are pied or clear type correct? so why does my budgie have no iris ring hes about 1 yr old, his mutation is an olive budgie i think correct me if im wrong
thanks

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hey I had the same question mine doesn't have iris rings either. It can be normal, sometimes they just don't develop or you can't see them clearly.
Mine if you look really close seems she has brown iris rings. Its nothing to be concerned about :)

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Some birds as has been said simply don't develop them.

However it has been known to be a sign the bird carries the recessive pied gene.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some birds as has been said simply don't develop them.

However it has been known to be a sign the bird carries the recessive pied gene.
so in other words he might carry recessive pied gene in him? we shall find out once i set him up with a female and if they produce chicks and they come out pied...

·
Registered
735 Posts
You would have to set him up with a recessive pied female and if he is split to recessive pied, you will get pied babies.

If he is not split to recessive pied, the babies will not be recessive pied.

Goodluck! : DD

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
As the others have said some budgies just don't develop iris rings.

It is possible that he is split for recessive pied but to prove it you would have to mate him to a recessive pied or a hen that is split for recessive pied.

Incidentally he is a grey green not an olive

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As the others have said some budgies just don't develop iris rings.

It is possible that he is split for recessive pied but to prove it you would have to mate him to a recessive pied or a hen that is split for recessive pied.

Incidentally he is a grey green not an olive
thank you for helping me understand all this iris ring stuff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.