Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i already made 2 posts by introducing myself and by asking about cages but now comes the real questions. Previous August i bought a new green budgie. It was very young. I bought it from a pet store here in my country which is considered to be one of the best. I bought it from there because much time ago i bought a budgie from an other random pet store and it was ill and my vet couldnt cure it. Now i have this budgie for almost 5 months but some weeks ago it started doing a click noise while breathing. It started doing it with every 4th or 5th breath. I talked with my vet once again and he prescribed me a bird medicine called aviomycine that has trimethoprim inside it. He did that because also the poop of one of my budgies were very watery. Here i should mention that i gave the medicine to the whole flock because all my budgies live together in the same cage ( 4 budgies). It seemed to work for a bit and the watery poop stopped but the click noise continued and then it started happening every second breath. Then one night while putting them for sleep as soon as i turned off the lights it started whimpering and wheezing. I turned on the light and saw that the budgie was doing that while sitting on the perch without showing any other symptoms or distress. I told it to my vet and he prescribed again the same medicine for one week but with no luck of making better the birdy. I once more told him and he gave me an other prescribed medication called T-plus that has tylosine and doxicycline. I kept giving the medication for about 5 days with no effect. Then some days ago i realised that a second budgie is making the same clicking noise and panic got me. Yesterday i heard again this whimpering noise which is like crying and it gave me a panic attack. I researched the whole night about it. I couldnt sleep and as soon as the clock hitted 9 in the morning i started making phone calls to vets. Tomorrow i have an appointment, here in my house, with a vet that also knows a lot about birds. I am kinda freaking out about what is happening. I have never had any budgies that got sick in that way. But i suppose i was just lucky...I have budgies since i was a baby and all of them had long lifes, more than 8-10 years on average. What freaks me out is that it might have air sack mites and i know that the medicine needed for that is more of a poison thatn a medicine it self ( ivermectin). I dont want my birdies to get hurt or feel sick. I lose the earth under my feet even when i am thinking that they are ill. Those birds mean the world to me and they are on of the things that keep me alive so its unfair for them to not be healthy and happy. Please fellow people if you have any ideas i would really appreciate it. And please be gentle if this is not the right place to post it.
Kind Regards Tolis.

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
I don't think it is good practice for any vet to be prescribing medication when they have not examined the bird because the issue cannot be determined over the phone. Ivermectin is a safe thing to use for air sac mites so you should not be concerned with that when given in the proper dosage. Hopefully the vet that is coming to your house will be able to determine the cause of the noise you are hearing, please update us after the visit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh my mistake! I didnt write it properly! I ment that i went to his clinic and not just talked with him!! My bad! The previous one examined the bird with a thermometer from behind and took a sample of its poop while in his medical office.Then he prescribed all those things. But i had a feeling that something is off because he was searching in the internet and in medicine leaflets. The one coming tomorrow knows a lot more about birds and hopefully he will give the right medicines.

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
Is the vet you are going to be going to an Avian Veterinarian?

If your budgie has air sac mites, then the proper treatment is ivermectin or scatt for birds.
Both are a "spot-on" treatment. The medication is carefully metered for use with small birds and only one drop is applied to the budgie's skin.
This is done on the back of the neck where the bird can not preen the medication off.
As long as the dosage is correct (and a good avian vet will know what to use) then using it will be safe.
If one budgie has mites then all the birds will need to be treated.

However, if there is a bacterial infection then antibiotics may be prescribed.
Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections - not viral or fungal infections.

You can use a warm mist humidifier in the room with your budgies. If you have 100% pure essential eucalyptus oil, you can put a couple of drops into the water. The warm mist with the eucalyptus helps to open the airways making it a bit easier for your budgies to breathe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the vet you are going to be going to an Avian Veterinarian?

If your budgie has air sac mites, then the proper treatment is ivermectin or scatt for birds.
Both are a "spot-on" treatment. The medication is carefully metered for use with small birds and only one drop is applied to the budgie's skin.
This is done on the back of the neck where the bird can not preen the medication off.
As long as the dosage is correct (and a good avian vet will know what to use) then using it will be safe.
If one budgie has mites then all the birds will need to be treated.

However, if there is a bacterial infection then antibiotics may be prescribed.
Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections - not viral or fungal infections.

You can use a warm mist humidifier in the room with your budgies. If you have 100% pure essential eucalyptus oil, you can put a couple of drops into the water. The warm mist with the eucalyptus helps to open the airways making it a bit easier for your budgies to breathe.
Yes the vet is also an Avian Vet!! I found him through a greek forum that had a list with names and phone numbers and also scores about how good they are. He was the closest to my house and i chose him because he had a balanced rating of good and bad comments. I also chose him because he is the closest to me so if i need to go there with my birdies they will not suffer a lot from the trip. The next one available is at least an hour away and the weather is not so good for taking the little ones outside! Also i read that the next one available is a bit posh and snob with more negative comments but it is what it is.
Yesterday i made the phonecall to make an appointment and the doctor told me to stop any medication given by the other vet. I do have some essential oils mix with eycalyptus in it and some other oils but he again told me to not use them until he can examine the birdies. The vet will be here in around one hour and i am getting more and more anxious as the time passes. I can feel my heart lol. The birds are not fully tamed and i am worried about the new hand catching them in the cage! I dont want them to get hurt by flapping around while the vet tries to catch them! All 4 of them are chirping and playing around the cage right now as it has a very nice sun outside!! Even if the temprature is low. I will update my post and share the news after the doctor finishes the examination!
Thank you guys for the support. Even by talking with other people that have knowledge about the subject is making me feel a bit better. Since i first heard that click noise i cant sleep normal and i feel angry and disapointed all the time with myself. Aside that i feel tired and very sad. I have the responsibility for this birds and i want the best for them! Anyways i hope everything goes ok for the little ones. Excuse my weird English as i havent use this language for writing for a lot of time!

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
Do not use eucalyptus oil that is mixed with other oils!
The oil must be ONLY 100% pure eucalyptus essential oil if/when the vet gives the go-ahead to put it
in your warm mist humidifier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: The vet left 1 hour ago and as soon as he left i went and bought the medicine! He prescribed a bottle called acaricine (ivermectin 10mg/ml) . It was kind of difficult to catch them all and give them the drop at the back of their neck but i did it in the end. I am sure i scared them a lot as they now sit in the covered area of their cage and all of them look at me like i betrayed them but even if they dont know it its for their own good and their own health! What is making me think is that i dropped a bit more at some point on 2 of the birds as the bottle of the medicine is not good for handling in rapid situations while you hold the birdy. So i called the vet again and he told me to be carefull next time with the dosage but he believes that the dosage i gave them will not hurt them a lot. Maybe some hard side effects for the next hours but nothing harmfull for their lifes in the long run. Next time i will put the drop of medicine in a syringe and i will apply it this way so in order to be sure that the amount of the medicine is what needed. I have read a lot about the toxicity of this drug and most sites call it as a poison and not medicine. I can only hope for the best and pray for them to get better as the days pass. Also the vet trimmed their nails a bit but Blua ( the little female) was very aggressive and while bitting the vet he clipped her nail a bit to much so we had some bleeding which stopped after 2-3 minutes. Now what is worrying me is that they preen each other and they do it on the place i applied the medicine so i talk to them and try to sooth them and stop them from eating it. He also told me that their poop look fantastic and should be in an encyclopedia and that their feathers also look healthy especially for the older ones that are around 7 years old. I will call him again on Monday to give him my update as the 48-72 hours window is the most critical when this medicine is given. At least this is what he told me. I feel i cant do anything else and i kinda feel useless. Now, i only have to wait for time to pass and this is the hardest part for me because a lot of time means a lot to think about my faults and the wrongs i did. I will update again and report any changes on their mood or routine. Thank you fellow people for reading my posts and replying on them. I now feel that my flock is part of a bigger flock and it sooths my angony.

Do not use eucalyptus oil that is mixed with other oils!
The oil must be ONLY 100% pure eucalyptus essential oil if/when the vet gives the go-ahead to put it
in your warm mist humidifier.
Yes i have eucalyptus oil too that it is not mixed with anything esle but the doctor told me to hold on a bit on using it so in order to observe better if the medicine is working properly on my little birdies. He told me to use humidifier if i want but not mix the water with anything else. Just in case. He also told me to give them only water for the next 48 hours and to not mix any vitamin or probiotic with it. Feeding should be as usual. Thanks a lot for replying!

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
Did the vet confirm air sac mites or is the treatment being given just assuming that is the issue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did the vet confirm air sac mites or is the treatment being given just assuming that is the issue?
He heard the birds breath at first. Then he took the one that has the most clicking while breathing and tried to see its neck in a dark room but couldnt see anything clear so he told me that it might be a mild case. At that point the birdy started whimpering and wheezing from the stress so in combination with the tail bobbing he told me that there is a high possibility to have air sack mites. He also spotted some crust on its cere. Only a small part though which i thought it was from scratching on the perches. I showed him all the medicines and antibiotics i had from the previous vet and he told me that if it had a bacterial infection then it would have cleard up with all this things i gave them. Also this week i will collect some poops and i will take them to him so he can run some laboratory tests. I am punishing myself with bad thoughts because i try to have a very clear and clean enviroment for the birdies and it seemed to work all those years. When i cook i close all the inbetween doors and if i smoke ( rarely from stress) i go outside and then change my clothes and wash my hands and mouth. I dont have any other pets and i rarely have guests in my house. Also at summers i take out the birds to the balcony but they are far away from other animals in the garden (like cats or dogs) or other apartments. Really so much thinking of what is happening.

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
You obviously love your budgies very much and are doing your best to ensure they get the care they need. 💜💜

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the vet told me that the cere looked mildly affected too and that it will clear up while medicating for the air sack mites. I really love them to the point i cant go for summer vacation even if other family members are here to watch them for me. And most of my family members have the knowledge to take care of them because they used to have budgies before i was born. But it feels like i am getting seperated from my kids so i dont really enjoy the vacations. So i dont go anywhere if its far away from here. I am chilling now with them in the living room, watching some tv in low volume and talking to them and exxplaining to them what we watch. They chirp back to me but i know they are still mad! lol! I will keep an eye on them the whole night and check them whenever i wake up. My sleep pattern is very bad so i wake up around 2-3 times every night. I will also update here every 24 hours because the information i get back are very usefull!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: I am doing the update a bit earlier than the 24 hours. Yesterday as soon as i turned off the lights to initiate sleeping mode the youngest one (called Little Wordy) started crying a bit. (Whimperin/wheezing). I talked to them and tried to sooth them and after 10 minutes the little one stopped doing it. I could still hear the click sound while breathing in both Wordy and Blua and some silent squaks from Wordy. Because of the bad sleep patterns i am having i woke up 3 times and checked them but only once i heard that whimpering for much less timing while Wordy was sleeping. The clicking though was still there. That happened around 4 clock in the morning. They seem a bit tired today and especially the two older ones but as the vet told me yesterday it might have to do with the extra drops of Ivermectin i dropped on their neck. All of them ate their food and had some fresh water and now they are relaxing on their perches and calmly chirp. I still hear the click noise when they relax and not chirp and some slight tail bobbing can be observed while at rest. Also Wordy sneezes a bit more than usual and while sneezing you can observe that the cere becomes a bit wet around the wholes. While doing that Wordy also scratches her head, beak and cere on the cage and the perches more than other days. So in my mind it seems that the medication is kind working and she is trying to unclog the "nose" and relief the symptoms. Now my next step is to collect/scoop some of their poops and take them to the vet but he will be away Tuesday or Wednesday as he is going to have a trip to go and check an other pet in a near city and he explained to me that the poops should not be older than 12-24 hours to examine them. Once more i am researching like a mad - man for what is happening and have my guilts of not being the best protector they can have. I will update again!! Thank you all for reading and posting!! Have a nice Sunday fellow people!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts