·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bird Vertebrate Beak Pet supply Bird supply
Small animal food Animal feed Pet food Pet supply Bird supply
Eye Pet supply Eyelash Mesh Wood

Bird Vertebrate Beak Pet supply Mammal

Hello friends I have just adopted 2 budgies from my relatives but I am not sure about their genders can you help.The green and yellow one is dew and blue and white is snow.Also this Albino is my old(5months) pet Pearl, I think she is a female what do you think?

One more question,right now they are small but I am thinking to breed ,when they are atleast a year old, Is it possible to have rainbow budgies as offspring.I am also posting of my fourth budgie Blue' s pic below he is a very cute male.

Bird african grey Vertebrate Green Beak

Bird Beak Feather Wing Fish

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Both of your budgies are very cute little females.

That cage doesn't look big enough to house two budgies though. Please provide the cage dimensions Length, Width and Height.
The very MINIMUM size cage for two budgies would be 76 cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 46 cm High.

Bigger is always better. You need to ensure the spacing between the bars is no more than 1.27 cm

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Both of your budgies are very cute little females.

That cage doesn't look big enough to house two budgies though. Please provide the cage dimensions Length, Width and Height.
The very MINIMUM size cage for two budgies would be 76 cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 46 cm High.

Bigger is always better. You need to ensure the spacing between the bars is no more than 1.27 cm

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
Thank you so much for your answer just one more thing what about my Albino in the above pic?

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Sorry, somehow I totally skipped over Pearl. My apologies!

The Albino (Pearl) is female also.

As you have THREE budgies, you need an even bigger cage than what I mentioned previously.

81 cm Long by 46 cm Wide by 51 cm high.

Please provide the dimensions of your cage as I requested previously.

I recommend you remove the wooden dowel type perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:

Essentials for a Great Cage

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry, somehow I totally skipped over Pearl. My apologies!

The Albino (Pearl) is female also.

As you have THREE budgies, you need an even bigger cage than what I mentioned previously.

81 cm Long by 46 cm Wide by 51 cm high.

Please provide the dimensions of your cage as I requested previously.

I recommend you remove the wooden dowel type perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:

Essentials for a Great Cage
Hi actually first I have only two Blue(above pic) and Pearl now I have snow and dew......will it cause problem 3 female 1 male?

My cage size is 66x45x45

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
I did not realize you now have FOUR budgies!

Anytime you bring new birds into your home, they should be quarantined away from the current bird.

Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds

I can't see the one blue budgie's cere well enough to determine if it is male.
Please post a full frontal picture of the budgie's cere taken in Natural Light. No flash and no direct sunlight.
Do me a favor and post another full frontal picture of the Albino's cere taken in Natural Light. No flash and no direct sunlight.

Three females and one male in a single cage is NOT a good thing.

If the one budgie is a male, then you need to have a minimum of two cages to house the birds.
(You should also have a spare cage - a small one to be used as a quarantine cage/hospital travel cage/etc.

You can either put all three females in one cage and a the male in a separate cage (BEST option)
OR
Your can put the male and one female in one cage (AND do everything necessary to prevent breeding) and two females in the other cage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh!! I have one cage which is half the cage which I mentioned above, actually I have purchased the above mentioned cage for 2 budgies but snow and dew came in emergency.I have already checked both budgies with a Vet there were some digestion issue with snow but they are solved now due to medcation.I will try to do something about the cage.Below is pic of pearl and blue :

Bird Mesh Line Beak Feather
Bird Pet supply Parrot Beak Bird supply

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
I'm still not able to see Pearl's cere very well in that picture.
There isn't enough light because her face is in a shadow.
Is the cere a translucent pinkish-purple color? OR is it more a very light whitish-pink color?

The eye doesn't look good in that picture -- is there inflammation and/or loss of feathers around the eye?

Is Blue's cere a very light whitish-blue with white around the nares? That is what I'm seeing on my computer screen.

I'm totally lost on what you do and don't have with regard to cages.
Please tell me how many cages you have now and what the dimensions of each of them are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Current cage dimensions are 66x45x45cm(lxwxh) and Old One is 42x38x38cm.About Pearl(Albino) yes from last 3 days she is fighting with my other budgies,but before she was the calmest one and used to take care of Snow.Do I need to take her to the Vet Immediately.
Her beak is light Pinkish and Blue's beak is dark blue.Again posting some Pics.

Corn kernels Vertebrate Corn Plant Food
Bird Cockatiel Cockatoo Beak Parrot

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
The albino is female.

It appears that the blue one is female as well from the last picture you posted. The blue looks very light in the picture.
If the cere is truly a DARK blue then that budgie is male.
Try getting yet one more picture of that budgie's cere if you can please.

Pearl needs to be separated from the other budgies. She is obviously agitated by the new arrivals.
Put her into a cage by herself OR put her in with just Snow since you said those two get along.

Yes, I would recommend you have her eye looked at by an Avian Vet.
If you have a sterile saline solution (available at pharmacies) and she allows you to handle her, then try rinsing the eye out with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still not able to see Pearl's cere very well in that picture.
There isn't enough light because her face is in a shadow.
Is the cere a translucent pinkish-purple color? OR is it more a very light whitish-pink color?

The eye doesn't look good in that picture -- is there inflammation and/or loss of feathers around the eye?

Is Blue's cere a very light whitish-blue with white around the nares? That is what I'm seeing on my computer screen.

I'm totally lost on what you do and don't have with regard to cages.
Please tell me how many cages you have now and what the dimensions of each of them are.
Thank you I have tried to seperate Pearl and Snow but after seperating, Blue was totally agitated and keep calling them from cage.He only stopped when I again put them in same cages.guess it's hard for them to be separated and we couldn't watch them like that.Today we are taking Pearl to vet also I will try to get a new big Cage for them.Thank you so much for your help so far.I am again posting a pic of Blue but he is only still when he is sleeping:).
Bird Green Blue Parrot Pet supply

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The albino is female.

It appears that the blue one is female as well from the last picture you posted. The blue looks very light in the picture.
If the cere is truly a DARK blue then that budgie is male.
Try getting yet one more picture of that budgie's cere if you can please.

Pearl needs to be separated from the other budgies. She is obviously agitated by the new arrivals.
Put her into a cage by herself OR put her in with just Snow since you said those two get along.

Yes, I would recommend you have her eye looked at by an Avian Vet.
If you have a sterile saline solution (available at pharmacies) and she allows you to handle her, then try rinsing the eye out with that.
Just one thing can you tell me exactly what type of Budgies I Have?

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee has given you excellent advice and resources! I agree with her completely regarding keeping them together.

It does appear that Blue is a male. The other three girls are very cute. You should not be thinking about breeding at this time, since as mentioned there is a lot of research that needs to be done beforehand. It’s in the best interest of your budgies if you currently devote yourself to learning more about them!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Best wishes! 👋

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee has given you excellent advice and resources! I agree with her completely regarding keeping them together.

It does appear that Blue is a male. The other three girls are very cute. You should not be thinking about breeding at this time, since as mentioned there is a lot of research that needs to be done beforehand. It’s in the best interest of your budgies if you currently devote yourself to learning more about them!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Best wishes! 👋
Yes Definitely I am not going for breeding anytime soon they are the cutest babies of our family,we really don't want to hurt them in any way and Thank You so much for your reply.

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Please make sure you follow all of the advice on how to prevent breeding.
You will also need to ensure that none of the budgies are aggressive toward the others.

If Peral is too agitated by the three new budgies, it is not going to be good for her to be housed with them.
Please let us know in this thread what you find out about her condition when you take her to the vet.

Your budgies are all "American/Pet Type" budgies. Budgies originated in Australia.
Are you actually asking what each of their mutations are?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please make sure you follow all of the advice on how to prevent breeding.
You will also need to ensure that none of the budgies are aggressive toward the others.

If Peral is too agitated by the three new budgies, it is not going to be good for her to be housed with them.
Please let us know in this thread what you find out about her condition when you take her to the vet.

Your budgies are all "American/Pet Type" budgies. Budgies originated in Australia.
Are you actually asking what each of their mutations are?
Yes I was asking about the mutation.

I took Pearl to the Vet he said it is Happening due Hard Moulting, Moulting should happened normally but in her case maybe it's more itchy and she is getting irritated by it.As you suggested he applied Saline solution to her.He also prescribed a Vitamin Drops to ease her Moulting plus he told us to add little bit of lemongrass tea in their Bath water.What do you think is it ok?

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Budgies generally have a first light molt at around 3 - 4 months old and another at 6 -7 months old.
When a budgie reaches at 1 year old their molts adjust to the Seasons., After the adjustment the budgie will have its big molts in the Spring and Fall. Budgies may also have lighter molts throughout the year; triggered by stress, change in diet or change in environment.

You can supplement your budgie’s diet with egg food during a molt.
This helps your budgies replenish the energy lost during the time they lose and grow in the new feathers.
Additionally, egg food promotes good and healthy feather growth.
It is possible to buy ready-made egg food at any specialized pet store but just as easy to make your own by hard boiling an egg, mashing it up and mixing it with a bit of cooked quinoa and flax seed. You can also finely chop some veggies and add it to the egg food mix.

Budgies get itchy during their molt, so they'll preen and scratch more often. Additionally, they may be sleepier and quieter as molting takes a lot of energy, and their poop could be a little runnier. To make them more comfortable, you can offer them baths either in a shallow dish of water at the bottom of their cage or by hanging wet greens (romaine lettuce or kale works best) in their cage so they can nibble on it and rub against them.

Molting FAQs

Miserable Molting

You can put the lemongrass tea in their Bath Water if you want to, it will not hurt them in any way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Budgies generally have a first light molt at around 3 - 4 months old and another at 6 -7 months old.
When a budgie reaches at 1 year old their molts adjust to the Seasons., After the adjustment the budgie will have its big molts in the Spring and Fall. Budgies may also have lighter molts throughout the year; triggered by stress, change in diet or change in environment.

You can supplement your budgie’s diet with egg food during a molt.
This helps your budgies replenish the energy lost during the time they lose and grow in the new feathers.
Additionally, egg food promotes good and healthy feather growth.
It is possible to buy ready-made egg food at any specialized pet store but just as easy to make your own by hard boiling an egg, mashing it up and mixing it with a bit of cooked quinoa and flax seed. You can also finely chop some veggies and add it to the egg food mix.

Budgies get itchy during their molt, so they'll preen and scratch more often. Additionally, they may be sleepier and quieter as molting takes a lot of energy, and their poop could be a little runnier. To make them more comfortable, you can offer them baths either in a shallow dish of water at the bottom of their cage or by hanging wet greens (romaine lettuce or kale works best) in their cage so they can nibble on it and rub against them.

Molting FAQs

Miserable Molting

You can put the lemongrass tea in their Bath Water if you want to, it will not hurt them in any way.
Thanks I will definitely add egg in their diet(y), as we are a vegetarian family we never thought about that:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You don't have to use eggs if your family is vegetarian. Any food that provides extra protein will work. It's the protein that's important. Some places sell commercial egg food that's a dry mix and can be fed in a variety of ways. But also I buy a sprout mix that claims it's got complete protein in it and grow them fresh sprouts. Beans also provide protein and are easy to come by and cook. When I cook a batch of beans or quinoa I put some fresh in the fridge to feed that week and then put the rest into ice cube trays, freeze it into portions and put the frozen cubes into a gallon freezer bag. That way I pull out one ice cube per birdie per meal and can feed them a variety of foods without having to cook all the time.

Anyway, any protein works.. you don't have to use eggs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts