Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first budgie I picked him up from an aviary and I've had him for about a month.
Today I noticed that his cere and his beak look a bit crusty.

Could this be mites? if so, what are some good tips for treating this? Bearing in mind he's only just become ok with perching on my hand.

Attachments

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
From that one photo I'm not seeing signs of mites. It looks like normal peeling to me on the cere (budgies moult the old skin on their ceres).
As for the beak, especially the area near the tip, those appear to be minor cracks.
Most likely the beak has suffered damage from a possible impact from a crash landing or night fright.

·
Administrator
55,347 Posts
I agree with aluz.

If you wish, you can take a bit of olive oil on a cotton swab and carefully smooth it over the dry areas of the cere and beak to help moisturize them.
Don't feel this suggestion is "necessary".
It is simply an option if your budgie is comfortable enough for you to do so.
Be extremely careful not to get the oil into his nares.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with aluz.

If you wish, you can take a bit of olive oil on a cotton swab and carefully smooth it over the dry areas of the cere and beak to help moisturize them.
Don't feel this suggestion is "necessary".
It is simply an option if your budgie is comfortable enough for you to do so.
Be extremely careful not to get the oil into his nares.
ok thank you! That makes sense since he did take a tumble when he flew into a wall the other day. I've dabbed a bit of olive oil on his beak and cere using a cotton bud (he didn't mind at all) and it's looking a lot better. will the damaged beak heal on it's own?

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Flying into a wall in this case perfectly explains the minor damage on the beak.
Yes, the little cracks on the tip of the beak will heal on their own with time, no cause for concern there. The beak will soon be as good as new. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.