Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, long time no see.

I have recently returned home to Canada and found that my old budgie's health has drastically changed. I know this is going to be a long post, but I really hope someone here can help!

**Please be aware that I am really bothered by all of this and I feel incredibly guilty that I could just allow these things to happen, even though I was just a teenager at the time. I realize I have not been a good owner and I am paying the price. As such..this post is going to be very emotion-heavy, but I will try to keep myself together, I'm sorry.**

I picked out a baby budgie 9 years ago from our local petstore for my birthday, and after finding out she was actually a he, my family named him Sweetie Boy. My previous budgie died from diabetes at 6 years old and so we tried our best to make sure Sweetie Boy had a proper diet. He did for a while, but my father cracked and gave him human food WAY too often (we are aware of the toxic foods to budgies so we never fed him those). We all did, to be honest, it was hard not to give him treats. The result is now he is severely overweight, and my father will not accept/believe it when I tell him so. "He's not fat, he's just a husky bird" he says.

A few years ago, I noticed Sweetie Boy's cere beginning to turn brown. Sometimes it would clear up and go back to being blue for a while, but about a year ago it was more often brown than blue. It wasn't crusty at this time, still smooth looking.

A year ago, he was having some very serious issues pooping, and by serious I mean some of his..intestines? were bulging out and there was blood whenever he tried. We made an emergency vet call. But luck was not on our side, as we found out our avian vet had retired recently and his office could not direct us to any other avian vets in the area. It was already an hour drive to his office in the first place! We had to settle with a regular vet, and it was so obvious she didn't know what was wrong or even what to do. We practically came home with no results or anything. It was really hard on my family.

I ended up doing some google research and found some articles that suggested he may have a tumor or testicular cancer. My father absolutely refused to put Sweetie Boy through any more stress and didn't want other people who didn't know what they were doing poking and prodding him. It made me angry that he wouldn't pursue trying to solve the health issues but I couldn't convince him... I lost a lot of sleep over this.

It did clear up a little bit, but then I noticed him picking at the area right above his wing, equivalent to a human's shoulder area. It was just in that one area. He eventually made a large scab wound that would heal up and then he would pick and shred it all over again. He was constantly grooming himself, it seemed like he never got any rest. Even at night when we covered his cage, you could hear him flicking his wings and cleaning himself. Still could not convince my father to take him to the vet. I wonder now if during the previous trip to the vet, he got some kind of mite infestation? But he didn't have a scaly cere or legs so I wasn't sure.

Skip 6 months, as during that time I was away from home and down in the USA. I had heard how his health went downhill whenever I spoke to my father on Skype, but I was shocked to see just how badly when I came home just this last Monday.

His feathers are in terrible shape, and he has lost the ability to open his right foot, in fact one of the front toes has completely curled upside down under the other front toe. He hobbles around because he can't walk properly. He perches on the elbow of that foot and uses his fat belly to balance. He can fly, but he cannot land well and often falls down, even on flat surfaces. His brown nose is now very crusty looking. My father claims he's not fat anymore, but at the very least he is the same weight.

I was so mad at my father, I asked him how he could be so selfish and not seek medical treatment. "I'm not going to let them kill him, he's my only friend" he says to me (meaning putting him to sleep). I can't understand it. I wouldn't want him to live like this, in my opinion it isn't even living. But I know just because he doesn't have the use of one leg doesn't mean he should die. I'm so torn though.

But the last straw for me was only moments before making this post.

I decided to pick up Sweetie Boy to check out the crippled foot, he has gotten used to this so he doesn't object to it very often. But I noticed some strange white things around his vent. I looked closer, of course I touched it...and it looks like a fungal growth? But I obviously don't know for sure so they could be little feathers? He didn't like me touching them and started to struggle so I quickly ran to show my father and took some pictures. He told me to call a vet and see if they have anything to treat fungal infections but we don't know of any good vets.

I am SO UPSET! I'm tired of letting my father have his way with how our bird's health is tended to. Please help! I don't know what I can do for him if we can't find a good avian vet nearby. I hate living in an area that isn't near a large city!!

Here is a link to all the photos, keep in mind they might be a bit disturbing or unsettling to look at...
Bird Illness - Album on Imgur

Trying to remain hopeful!
- ButtercupBumblebee

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
I am not able to help with your budgies health issues and I think only an avian vet can help him.

I can relate to you with the troubles trying to convince your Dad that over feeding isn't loving. He clearly loves the bird but he has done a lot of harm.
I couldn't really offer advice on this but is it possible for you to encourage your Dad to give your budgie some healthy treats when he is eating, if he's still giving him junk food? Although your budgie needs help first before.

I just think that your budgie really needs some help that can't be properly given on the forum. :(

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,532 Posts
I am so sorry you are going thru this with your gorgeous little one, I have absolutely not idea what those white things on the vent are, but they are not feathers... Your little fella is very very sick. He likely has testicular cancer at worst and a hormonal imbalance at best... I personally think due to his cere and his foot that is is a testicular tumor. I am not a dr and that is just my opinion. He really really needs to be seen by an avian vet. I understand how your father feels but he is not thinking of his little fella who must be very uncomfortable. Please keep us updated on your little ones condition.
Edit: his vent looks very odd to me also. It looks very enlarged or stretched out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses. I want to see an avian vet, however the closest one that is listed on the Association of Avian Vets is 3 hours away! Sweetie Boy looks so, SO terrible... and I don't care what my father says, he looks like he is in a lot of pain.. It hurts me to see him like this...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I hope Sweetie Boy feels better and gets well soon. :( I apologize for what you guys are going through and find that I myself do not have sufficient enough experience to diagnose or help you in what you can do... right now I solely offer my condolences and hope he feels better. :hug: :crying:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about a regular vet?
I really think he needs to see someone, especially if you think your baby is in pain. xx
Despite wanting answers, I am reluctant to take him to another general vet who knows nothing about birds. I think I may have found an office that is about an hour away, but it's a holiday so they're not open today. I'll have to call tomorrow :(...

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,192 Posts
Even though the nearest A vet is 3 hours away, I would, Sweetie Boy's state determining, take him there. He really need to be seen by a professional. Can you take him yourself? That is going to be your best option. The issue with his vent is definitely not feathers.

That being said, I am so sorry that all this has transpired. I am very upset for you right now, and I know what it's like to have a stubborn and sometimes ignorant father. I know that this is hard on you, and you have our full support here. Mistakes were made, but you can't change the past, and shouldn't dwell on things that have happened way back when. Focus on the here and now, and you will be a little less stressed for it. Is there some way of convincing your dad that he need medical attention "NOW"? Please keep us updated. Sweetie Boy obviously hasn't given up on life yet, so you shouldn't give up on him yet either.

EDIT: Just saw your last post. I would definitely call them tomorrow first thing in the morning. Is there an emergency vet that treats exotics? If so, that will be your best bet for today.

·
Member of the Month Sept 2014
1,298 Posts
Hi Buttercup
It has taken alot of guts for you to make this post, I applaud you for that, I agree with Therm that your bird needs to be seen by an avian vet now, as you know this forum has some amazing experts who I've no doubt will offer great advice but at the end of the day this bird is very poorly and needs professional help to hopefully save its life, this bird has been neglected and it deserves a chance to have a good retirement, please see an avian vet.
Pete

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
I would send the pics to that avian vet and ask him if he would recommend treatment at the closest non avian vet.
Milk thistle and dandelion root would both be helpful for internal organ health right now. He certainly needs some medical help with the different issues. I will say some prayers...:hug:

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,192 Posts
I would send the pics to that avian vet and ask him if he would recommend treatment at the closest non avian vet.
Milk thistle and dandelion root would both be helpful for internal organ health right now. He certainly needs some medical help with the different issues. I will say some prayers...:hug:
Good idea, Randy. I must add though to get these products alcohol free!!!

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
Your sweet budgie needs urgent intervention, he has a lot of issues and it does sound like it is a very serious situation. Please try to explain to your father how sad and in pain your budgie is, he obviously loves the budgie and is frightened of losing him. An avian vet would be better but at this stage I feel your sweet bird might need pain relief or you to make the decision of helping him to find peace. This is not easy, but a loving and caring gift you can give him.
Guilt is not needed, these situations happen I too am sending prayers and I hope your budgie finds some comfort and rest soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you again everyone for your responses. I am not expecting to get very much sleep tonight.

Your sweet budgie needs urgent intervention, he has a lot of issues and it does sound like it is a very serious situation. Please try to explain to your father how sad and in pain your budgie is, he obviously loves the budgie and is frightened of losing him. An avian vet would be better but at this stage I feel your sweet bird might need pain relief or you to make the decision of helping him to find peace. This is not easy, but a loving and caring gift you can give him.
Guilt is not needed, these situations happen I too am sending prayers and I hope your budgie finds some comfort and rest soon.
This is the problem, he believes wholeheartedly that Sweetie Boy is not in pain. But anyone can see that he is. I think my father chooses not to see or believe it because it hurts him too much to think of such things. It's very angering.

I will try my very best to convince him to make a vet trip tomorrow if they have an available appointment. I'm not sure what I can do if he refuses to let me take him... :crying2:

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,320 Posts
Hi Buttercup you are very brave for posting about your bird... I see that you love your bird so much... I am sorry that your budgie is sick. Surely your father has a heart and will let you take your bird to be see a vet right away.... Birds have as much right to go to an avian vet just like a cat dog etc... They are part of our family we have responsibility's to take care of our beloved pets..... Please take your beloved budgie to see an avian vet...I was going to say if your father refuses can you get a friend to take you or your mother.... Can you get your mother to take you and your budgie to see the vet...I am sending you some prayers and also I really hope your father let's you take your budgie to the vet... You know your father maybe upset now but he will be even more upset if Sweetie Boy dies..... Poor little budgie I hope they can make him better so he is in no more pain...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I will try my very best to convince him to make a vet trip tomorrow if they have an available appointment. I'm not sure what I can do if he refuses to let me take him... :crying2:
Get a friend or two to come over tomorrow, distract your father, and just get Sweetie and get him to the vet. Sure, your dad may be upset, but he'll be more upset if Sweetie dies. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello everybody.

After a long night with little sleep, I have good news. My mother was able to find a vet who cares for birds in the same city as our last avian vet. She phoned for Sweetie Boy (I have a terrible cold and can barely speak :sick:) and the vet has an opening tomorrow at 3:40pm. Someone posted above that they lived in BC as well, but I don't live near Vancouver (it's about a 6 hour drive from here).

I asked my dad to please hear me out and that I would like him to see a vet. That I was really worried, he is not doing well and we NEED him to be looked at. I was surprised at how little he resisted, eventually he said we could go. But he told me he would not let them put Sweetie Boy to sleep. He said they have bonded and nothing will break that except death, whose ever comes first. It is a little disheartening, but I hope if the vet expresses that his pain and stress would be relieved by death, that my dad will do the right thing. At this point I really only care that he is looked at and taken care of, that's the most important thing.

I will keep everyone updated. Thank you everyone for your overwhelming support, it has been a tough time :upset:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I really hope they can tell you whats wrong adn get birdy on the right set of meds and treatment. After this I would highly recommend that when birdy does pass that your father refrains from either buying another bird OR reads up on everything including nutrition before he even considers buying another bird. Wishing you all the best!

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,320 Posts
Oh thank you so much for the update Buttercup..... Looks like your father has a heart after all... I can see from what you are saying that your dad loves Sweetie boy to and now your dad releases that Sweetie boy has to go to the avian vet to get the help plus medicine to make your budgie better we hope.... I am pleased your mother has found an avian vet and made you an appointment.. I would recommend that if your budgie does pass on, before your father or anyone in your family buys another bird you all should read up on everything like nutrition cleaning of the birds cage what to give them in fruit and veges also a bird needs seed... You have to think about these things before considering getting another bird. But hopefully you won't have to get another bird if they can save your bird this is good...There are people on here that will help you or you can read about the diet thread on the form.....There is a lot of responsibility in caring for a bird..... I hope your bad cold gets better not very much fun being sick... I hope the avian vet can find out what is wrong with your bird... When they do find out what is wrong with your bird, will you promise me one thing you have to look after your self you have to get yourself better to take care of your bird.... We will wait for the next update... Please take care of yourself we don't want you being in hospital... I am so pleased that you all are doing the right thing and taking your bird to the vet to be seen to. I really hope your bird has a chance to live and to be loved....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.