Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I've been reading through the threads in the behavior forums, but I either missed it or can't find one that I relate too. Lately, I've been bonding more with my budgies Hades and Persephone, and I've had positive responses. A few days ago, without warning, Persephone seemed to get more...aggressive? towards Hades and I when we would interact. Normally, I could softly pet Hades' chest with her sitting next to him, and she wouldn't mind at all. Now, if I go to touch him, she starts to peck at HIM until he backs away. I first though this was due to jealousy, so I began to pay more attention to her and try to bond with her more. It didn't help. She'd back away when I'd talk to her or go sit in the corner with her back to me.
I offered them millet from my hand, and when she was distracted at her food bowl, Hades would go ahead and eat the millet. But as soon as she noticed what was going on, she'd fly up to peck at Hades. She refuses my offers of millet, even if I leave it in their cage and walk away.
I'm really worried about this sudden change. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused her to act like this? Could she be sick? Thanks for the help.

·
Member Spotlight Award March 2016
1,887 Posts
Greetings hmm,I've read your post here and I'm abit concerned myself.you said she would peck at Hades when he goes to eat the millet or so.sounds like she maybe a little over protective or jealous of his attention towards you.but I may be way off here on this.I know this has happened a lot with birds when someone is bonding or feeding another Bird.the other reacts aggressively.I,'ve read a few post on this recently.does Persephone eat well and is active with Hades?.just trying to figure it out to help if I can.I'm sure faerybee or starling.Joann or some else can help.I'll check up on this later to see myself.I hope it will work out for your budgies soon.blessings.my apologies if I messed up on this guessing here.:S

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Your Persephone is not sick. Generally speaking, females can be more bossy and from your description she appears to displaying her bossy attitude when you are closely interacting with them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greetings hmm,I've read your post here and I'm abit concerned myself.you said she would peck at Hades when he goes to eat the millet or so.sounds like she maybe a little over protective or jealous of his attention towards you.but I may be way off here on this.I know this has happened a lot with birds when someone is bonding or feeding another Bird.the other reacts aggressively.I,'ve read a few post on this recently.does Persephone eat well and is active with Hades?.just trying to figure it out to help if I can.I'm sure faerybee or starling.Joann or some else can help.I'll check up on this later to see myself.I hope it will work out for your budgies soon.blessings.my apologies if I messed up on this guessing here.:S
They are always spending time together, and she seems to be eating normally. Just now, I looked over at their cage (which is pretty close to my desk) and tried to talk to her. Again, she just ignored me, although Hades was watching me and talking back :) I'm worried, and I'm hoping it's just a phase she's going through.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
I agree, Persephone is "taking control" and telling Hades what he should be doing and when. She's pecking at him to say "Hey, I didn't say she could pet you!" ;)

Since they're starting to settle in fully now, there's going to be a bit of a "power struggle" as a pecking order is established, and as long as you continue to interact with them, it should sort itself out. If Hades is by himself, or he is out and Persephone is not, be sure to pet him (as long as he enjoys it) and talk to him all you'd like so Persephone knows she can't control everything. :rolleyes:

·
Member Spotlight Award March 2016
1,887 Posts
Greetings this may be a little of the subject.but during the breeding season with wild birds.the female blue jays would be overly aggressive toward other birds of there kind and also attack cats or small dogs when they got close to there nest tree.beware the little bird that gets protective or angry.my apologies I,'ve been studying wild animals behavior along with budgies as well.they're some common traits in all it seems.blessings all.I'm still relearning all this again.lol maybe I should study birdology .;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.