Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ho does anyone know of any easy to use accurate offspring calculators

Im not breeding at the mo but im facinated with genetics and i think this would help me understand them better

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
ho does anyone know of any easy to use accurate offspring calculators

Im not breeding at the mo but im facinated with genetics and i think this would help me understand them better
There are quite a few genetic calculators around but they are mostly limited to basic mutations and most of our birds are a combination of mutations. Also it pays to have some knowledge of genetics to interpret the results. Learning to use most of these caculators is harder than learning how genetic inheritance works. When working out the expected offspring calulate each mutation separately then combine the result
Here's one that works reasonably well but it has got the yellow face wrong and it includes some uncommon mutations and has missed some common ones
http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0Budg

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are quite a few genetic calculators around but they are mostly limited to basic mutations and most of our birds are a combination of mutations. Also it pays to have some knowledge of genetics to interpret the results. Learning to use most of these caculators is harder than learning how genetic inheritance works. When working out the expected offspring calulate each mutation separately then combine the result
Here's one that works reasonably well but it has got the yellow face wrong and it includes some uncommon mutations and has missed some common ones
http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0Budg
ok thanks, but quick question

how do you use it :D

·
~Crazy Bird Lady~
2,309 Posts
It is so much easier to just learn the traits of the different mutations and how they are reproduced when breeding. I've never used one of those calculators, they are too confusing to me ;)

Once you learn which mutations are dominant and recessive, just break down each one when trying to figure out the babies. I promise it will keep you from getting such a big headache in the end.

When I was first starting out, I used Barrie Shutts website. VERY INFORMATIVE! I think it is a must have for anyone breeding budgies! http://www.officialbarrieshuttbudgerigars.com/colourexpectations.htm

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im begginin to learn how budgie mutations work, but i have seen some threads that show ALL the possibilite like 3.65% this and 6% that etc etc... just wanted to know if anyoe knew any of these

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
im begginin to learn how budgie mutations work, but i have seen some threads that show ALL the possibilite like 3.65% this and 6% that etc etc... just wanted to know if anyoe knew any of these
When calculating expectations work out each mutation separately then combine the results. For example: if 50% of the clutch will be yellow face and 50% will be pied then half of the pieds will be yellow face

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.